Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 5, 2011, 21:38   #11
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
There seems to have been a change, as of the 4/22 stuff I have been messing with, that gives monsters saving throws when they didn't use to have them. I couldn't even ID a wand [sleep monster I think] with repeated aims at a cutpurse. Was there any change to that in this 5/5 release?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 21:40   #12
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
There seems to have been a change, as of the 4/22 stuff I have been messing with, that gives monsters saving throws when they didn't use to have them. I couldn't even ID a wand [sleep monster I think] with repeated aims at a cutpurse. Was there any change to that in this 5/5 release?
I don't remember this, but I'll take a look for a commit on 4/22 that introduces this.

Sure does seem like a bug.
Old May 6, 2011, 00:01   #13
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
There also seems to be a bug in item stacking
Noticed this in the dungeon now too; I found !CCW that won't stack with my inventory, and also a spellbook that similarly won't stack. It seems not to be related to inscriptions (my first though was hmm, these are both auto-inscribe items) - I tried removing the inscriptions and removing the auto-inscribe setting, no effect.

My character is a CL27 Mage, and this only started happening recently - I'm not sure what changed. The savefile and pref files were copied over from the previous release (Apr 23) if that is relevant. Should I open a ticket for this, even though I'm not a developer? I'm not sure what the correct process is here.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 00:17   #14
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I don't remember this, but I'll take a look for a commit on 4/22 that introduces this.

Sure does seem like a bug.
I was wondering if it's completely unintentional, or a goof on something similar but intentional.

Don't look too hard. The previous nightly I have is dated 1/13, so it could have been introduced much earlier.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 02:27   #15
Taha
Adept

Taha is on a distinguished road
The was a failure to ID wands and staves by use bug a little while back. It was related to sleep / confuse / slow monsters I think. Can't find the ticket or thread right now, but pretty sure it was fixed in the last build I played.
________
ExoticMae cam

Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011 at 15:03.
Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 09:40   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud View Post
Noticed this in the dungeon now too; I found !CCW that won't stack with my inventory, and also a spellbook that similarly won't stack. It seems not to be related to inscriptions (my first though was hmm, these are both auto-inscribe items) - I tried removing the inscriptions and removing the auto-inscribe setting, no effect.

My character is a CL27 Mage, and this only started happening recently - I'm not sure what changed. The savefile and pref files were copied over from the previous release (Apr 23) if that is relevant. Should I open a ticket for this, even though I'm not a developer? I'm not sure what the correct process is here.
No, please don't open a ticket - we know what the problem is, but not why it's happening.

When a savefile is loaded, each object is read into memory using a function called rd_item_X, where X is the version number of the savefile. Object flag handling has now changed, so X was incremented to save and load the new flags properly using rd_item_3. I added code to rd_item_2 which should convert the flags of objects in old savefiles so that they stack properly with new objects, but for some reason this isn't working. The two relevant lines in rd_item_2 are

of_copy(o_ptr->flags, o_ptr->kind->base->flags);
of_union(o_ptr->flags, o_ptr->kind->flags);

We saw this bug in staging but couldn't see why it wasn't working, and assumed that it must have been an artefact of us all using savefiles we'd played in the staging branch, where things tend to get a bit muddled. I couldn't reproduce it with a "proper" old savefile.

But the assumption was wrong, and it is clearly a problem with the changes to object flags (ticket #120) and the rd_item_2 code.

All patches and suggestions welcome. In the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience w.r.t. stacking.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 09:43   #17
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
The was a failure to ID wands and staves by use bug a little while back. It was related to sleep / confuse / slow monsters I think. Can't find the ticket or thread right now, but pretty sure it was fixed in the last build I played.
This was #1366 and was indeed closed about four weeks ago. Like d_m I am unaware of monsters getting additional saving throws for anything, but as Eddie says this could be an unintended side effect of something else. There has been a lot of refactoring of *player* saving throws to monster spells and breaths, but AFAICT that shouldn't yet have had any impact at all on monster saves. Definitely bears further observation though.
Old May 6, 2011, 09:45   #18
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
I was ready to port some code, but there were blocking(*) bugs. I think the first was the invisible purple monsters, but I don't really remember any more. Then a long progression in which a new blocking bug was introduced before the previous one was fixed. The dInvis bug is merely the last one.

You folks teased me a few times by closing all of the trac issues that bothered me, and then I'd find out something else got broken but hadn't been noticed yet. This better not be a repeat!

I don't mean the above as a complaint. You have to expect that sort of thing given the pace and nature of V development. I've just been waiting for a long time.
No worries - I'll be glad if there aren't any issues in this nightly that prevent you from porting.

What bothers me about this is that I don't have any real idea which bugs/issues you (and other forks) consider intolerable and which are just irritants. IMO it might be worth adding a "severity" field to trac so that we can distinguish tickets in this way, and focus on fixing the top-rated ones.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:38   #19
scud
Swordsman

scud is on a distinguished road
Previously I was under the impression that Enchant Weapon/Armour only got you as far as +10 before failing (or possibly being so unlikely to succeed that it was effectively 'impossible'). I've just dragged some arrows and speedy boots up to +15 levels. Nice.

Doesn't quite make up for losing my stock of books and scrolls and potions, though...
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 15:27   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the difficulty of enchanting was reduced awhile back. I couldn't tell you why, but at least in the case of armor it helps make up for the fact that you now need more AC than you used to.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote