Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old November 20, 2013, 13:51   #71
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
It IS a sword. One of the best.
Really? Normally I can wield them rather than them hitting me until I die. Just one of those things you've gotta know to avoid instadeath I guess.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013, 14:06   #72
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Really? Normally I can wield them rather than them hitting me until I die. Just one of those things you've gotta know to avoid instadeath I guess.
You were very unlucky to encounter Delmereth before a non-unique deathblade and also to encounter them first in a stealth game rather than a game where you had a decent chance of beating them or escaping. I presume even then you could have escaped using several potions of healing and a potion of quickness, but it you accidentally just paged through the attack messages and hitpoint warning then I suppose not.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013, 14:21   #73
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
You were very unlucky to encounter Delmereth before a non-unique deathblade and also to encounter them first in a stealth game rather than a game where you had a decent chance of beating them or escaping. I presume even then you could have escaped using several potions of healing and a potion of quickness, but it you accidentally just paged through the attack messages and hitpoint warning then I suppose not.
The first hit reduced me to 10hp so if I'd drank !Quickness I probably would have been killed anyway (drinking the potion takes a turn before you get the extra turn I assume?). It also woke up some other monsters so I had to run for the door before getting surrounded.

I initially assumed I'd been hit by a sleeping monster the other side of me so I took a step in the "wrong" direction which meant I was pretty much doomed.

If you kill him does that mean you get to use the sword?
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013, 15:02   #74
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The first hit reduced me to 10hp so if I'd drank !Quickness I probably would have been killed anyway (drinking the potion takes a turn before you get the extra turn I assume?). It also woke up some other monsters so I had to run for the door before getting surrounded.

I initially assumed I'd been hit by a sleeping monster the other side of me so I took a step in the "wrong" direction which meant I was pretty much doomed.

If you kill him does that mean you get to use the sword?
Yes. The death message is "You subdue the deathblade." Deathblades are cool swords with weight around 2lb 1d9 base damage and often significant attack bonus. Delmereth has +3 + other abilities.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2013, 18:50   #75
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013, 08:44   #76
sudaj
Rookie

sudaj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Yes. The death message is "You subdue the deathblade." Deathblades are cool swords with weight around 2lb 1d9 base damage and often significant attack bonus. Delmereth has +3 + other abilities.
Are in mentioned in the Silmarillion? The concept seems more Moorcockian than Tolkien.
sudaj is offline   Reply With Quote