AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 17, 2010, 22:30   #41
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
No, it was simpler to re-implement than to merge iVanilla. Floor drops are as they were before no_selling, and then tripled when it's on.
Yup, peeked into github. I have to warn though, the original formula for the gold amount is stupid, and too small ... IMHO. Well, IMHO for the stupid part (the whole variance to infinity with same mean part ... god, mathnerd attack that fudges it hard to balance with zero gamebalance meaning). Too small, playtested.

I guess I will try it a few times now that finally finished my current char. But IIRC the infinityvarianced original gold drop values were too small even with x3 multiplier. "Struggling to buy ccw at statgain lvls" small.
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 23:42   #42
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Again, I can't reproduce your door problem either: easy_open works fine for me. Were you playing with Shift stuck on, or something?
That's actually a bug that is supposed to have been fixed. I did see this too in much earlier 3.1 nightly version but not in any of the latest.

If it is the same bug it doesn't allow you to lockpick or disarm or do pretty much anything requiring autorepeat count. There is a bug in trac for this. Don't right away remember the number.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 23:53   #43
Timo Pietilä
Prophet

Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just to be clear, you would be happy to see wearables drop by a factor of 4 while consumables/books/devices all stayed the same?

And can you confirm that this is for buying and selling, or just for selling?
My peeve in prices is that AC is valued way too high, and egos way too low. I think rarity and materials should also count something, like golden and jeweled crowns and mithril armors (also the fact that these cannot be harmed by acid should count quite a bit, in practice it saves in enchantment scrolls over time quite a bit more than item is worth AC).

Also for weapons, weapon of slay troll is actually more valuable than weapon of slay demon early in the game, so it should not have minuscule effect on ego price.

Not that these affect game experience much. You just collect something else that has value instead, like staves, wands, rods and high-value egos.
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2010, 23:55   #44
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
That's actually a bug that is supposed to have been fixed. I did see this too in much earlier 3.1 nightly version but not in any of the latest.

If it is the same bug it doesn't allow you to lockpick or disarm or do pretty much anything requiring autorepeat count. There is a bug in trac for this. Don't right away remember the number.
As you say, this has been fixed. Anyone who see this in the current nightlies, please start a new thread.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2010, 01:46   #45
tuppe666
Rookie

tuppe666 is on a distinguished road
I have compiled with "./configure --enable-gtk --with-no-install" ./angband -mtk crashes on startup x11 and gcu seem to work great. I just wondered if it was me.
tuppe666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2010, 02:28   #46
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just to be clear, you would be happy to see wearables drop by a factor of 4 while consumables/books/devices all stayed the same?

And can you confirm that this is for buying and selling, or just for selling?
Sure. I'm mostly thinking about buying. If you sell stuff to buy stuff, it makes no difference if everything changes proportionally. A dagger used to have a price of 10 according to lib/edit/object.txt. You could aim for that. Even 20 would be OK I guess, but it's much higher than that.

The thing to compare is what you can buy with gold drops. The question of the relative price of consumables vs weapons doesn't matter so much to me, but making boring weapons cheaper relative to rods or potions makes sense to me.

If after the price drop you decide that great stuff is too cheap, perhaps you should change to pricing according to the cube of value rather than the square. That would also fix negative values having positive prices.

Personally, I think price should be about production rather than value, so there's no reason my views should be consistent with what you're doing. I'm just looking at changes in gameplay since 3.0 that seem to me to be in the wrong direction.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2010, 05:55   #47
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppe666 View Post
I have compiled with "./configure --enable-gtk --with-no-install" ./angband -mtk crashes on startup x11 and gcu seem to work great. I just wondered if it was me.
Do you mean angband -mgtk? I don't think -mtk will ever work.
Old December 18, 2010, 08:17   #48
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Sure. I'm mostly thinking about buying. If you sell stuff to buy stuff, it makes no difference if everything changes proportionally. A dagger used to have a price of 10 according to lib/edit/object.txt. You could aim for that. Even 20 would be OK I guess, but it's much higher than that.

The thing to compare is what you can buy with gold drops. The question of the relative price of consumables vs weapons doesn't matter so much to me, but making boring weapons cheaper relative to rods or potions makes sense to me.

If after the price drop you decide that great stuff is too cheap, perhaps you should change to pricing according to the cube of value rather than the square. That would also fix negative values having positive prices.

Personally, I think price should be about production rather than value, so there's no reason my views should be consistent with what you're doing. I'm just looking at changes in gameplay since 3.0 that seem to me to be in the wrong direction.
Sure - don't hold back on those (have you checked the changes doc recently ;-)). Personally I don't think that basic armour and weapons being more expensive than they used to be in 3.0 is a bad thing, since it lengthens the period during which they are desirable, even if only slightly. e.g. Rangers now start with a shortbow rather than a longbow, and the latter is something they won't get for a little while.

Cubic prices are something I have thought about, and might try in 3.3. It might finally solve the pricing of +speed!
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2010, 12:22   #49
tuppe666
Rookie

tuppe666 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
Do you mean angband -mgtk? I don't think -mtk will ever work.
Yes I meant -mgtk Basic X11 and Text Mode both work GTK not so much
tuppe666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2010, 15:28   #50
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Sorry if someone's already reported this, but in the Windows build I just downloaded (f348296727), if I go into the options menu during character birth and hit "?" to get help on an option, then hit escape, I get fragments of the help screen all over the options screen...
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote