Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2011, 22:53   #21
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
I used to play high elf mages, and that isn't a challenge race with high int, decent hp and see invisible. But with my recent hobbit mages, plus the new open levels I totally see your point. Surviving to stairs at the other end of the level can be a beast. But for the end game, with cheap haste, double resists, runes, destruction, tele other, both banishes and rift they finish up well.

Spacebux, multi hued dragons are a very annoying for pre Raal's mages. But then again, the first and last rule of playing a mage: Mages shall run away. Its not like you lost a lot by avoiding low level MHDs, and later ones are a selected fight if you have Raal's or a wand of drain life or something. As Derakon noted, Priests have trouble with Angels and non evil monsters that group.
I listed the Young Multi-hued Dragon as a sample of what you typically find in the 1000-2000' levels. I'm not trying to say that is my only challenge or, that I find that to be the bane for mages.

For example, I also listed the Mature Blue d. It does not really matter WHAT mob you list or like to throw up as an example. When you have mobs that have 100s - 1000s of HPs, the base set of mage spells is woefully unpowered for the task. Most mage players find out you just cannot dive nearly as fast as a warrior or priest of the same player-level. Why? Generally, you are waiting for HPs to build up so you can survive better until you come across Raal's. The reason they are waiting for Raal's is because the base 4 does not have an end-all spell like the Priests have in Orb of Draining. Mages are all about getting 'Rift'... which is kind of sad. There's something wrong with that.

Rift, Magic Missile are currently the only 2 spells that are capable of 0% fail rates and un-resistable damage... most mages do not rely on Mana Storm at the end---too high a fail-rate for such a mana cost and marginal damage. Chaos Strike and Rift are the only reasonable attack options in the deeper levels. BUT--I digress....

Everyone has trouble with Angels. Angels (Seraphs, Archons, Cherubs) resist all elemental attacks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
After the improvements to damage per mana for mages in the last few revisions, I dont see any issues with current spell choices.
Actually, it makes Spear of Light look silly at 6 mana... Should stay at 5 mana-per, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
Edited to add: Mages also have pretty decent ball spells by level 30.
Those ball spells are relatively in-effective, again, in comparison with either the Orb of Draining or by simply looking at which groups of mobs one would LIKE to use them on. Fire or Ice - most of the time if you have a Troll pit or Giant pit you want to attack, you will have a group of mobs that will resist one or the other. To top that all off, there is ITEM destruction one must be weary of. The only thing ORB destroys are mobs and cursed items!!! Such a deal for 7 mana... at level 9. Would be a lot better for mages if Stinking Cloud, e.g., ratcheted up in power better. But, I doubt the Coders would agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha View Post
And the flexibility to choose a target and pick off one or a few at a time is a plus for a mage as well. But by level 30, my priests are only using orb to clean up low level groups that are nothing more than a nuisance to either character, and the healing / buffs are far more important. Priests with spam healing are just plain easy at that point, by far the easiest wins.
No - actually Priest players use Orb quite frequently - no need to guess whether a mob will resist it... just whether its going to do double damage or not. Orbs are frequently used to bounce off walls to nail those annoying hounds, e.g. Mages can only hope to have a ball spell like Explosion, on-line, by the time they are chased down by a pack of multi-hued hounds.

However, my whole premise for this thread is the WANT to get away from books and move to scolls. If you have to scrounge around for a ? of Phase Door before you either put it in your book for spell-casting or for just using and burning as a one-timer spell, then you will find the mage class that much more challenging and exciting.

The earlier spells like Explosion, Acid Ball, e.g., would be find-able in DLs 25+, though maybe not learnable until one attained the proper level for it to be legible. You would not have to wait, necessarily, to find a BOOK, per se. You might find certain spells earlier, certain spells later depending on Spell Level and your RNG.

-SBux-
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 23:02   #22
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgod View Post
While warriors do get swords of slay dragon (or whatever), mages do get area of effect attacks. I'm pretty sure that warriors don't get any "sword of hitting everyone in the room at once".

Though it is a moot point if you happen to be casting fireball at something that's immune to fire.
I put the *slay* point as an example... Might be kind of cool to attempt at coding a spell designed specifically for certain mob types, but, I meant it in comparison to the "Orb of Draining" in particular because, in effect, it does possess a *slay evil* effect in its damage calculations.

Mages cannot conjure up a Magical Spear of Slay Demon which pierces any demon and does double-damage to any demon in its path, for example. All the base books for mages, have elemental attacks which the coders have put in resistances to the higher-level mobs.

Last edited by Spacebux; May 3, 2011 at 23:13.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 23:12   #23
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebux View Post
Note: there is NO ATTACK, no blame, not even an "accusation" of wrong-doing. I am simply trying to point out the situation.

My apologies if I chose the wrong words in trying to lay it out.

I'm sorry if I did not know it wasn't Magnate who made the changes to the floor-plans, but it did seem like that to me in an earlier post from Magnate himself.

I grovel in your general direction.
No worries - d_m is our dungeon generation maestro. I usually confine myself to objects, and often end up unwittingly infuriating Eddie, hence his claim to the job ;-)
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 02:45   #24
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
No worries - d_m is our dungeon generation maestro. I usually confine myself to objects, and often end up unwittingly infuriating Eddie, hence his claim to the job ;-)
Actually, I was referring to the fact that I've blamed you a few times recently for changes that weren't your fault, e.g. putting DSMs under standard armor squelch.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 06:28   #25
Philip
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague,Czech Republic
Posts: 894
Philip is on a distinguished road
Spacebux: Have you ever played a mage? Diving is fairly dangerous for a while, but if you get Mordenkainens it's simple enough. Raal's is important sure, for more reasons than you listed, because of Meteor Swarm, which, by the way is an unresistable spell, and once you get four missiles, it gets powerful, because you have something that deals 200 damage for about 14 mana IIRC. That's twice as much as orb, which would probably deal about 110 to evil, and as you noted, there are !restore mana lying around, so who cares about mana. Rift is there so no-one gets really close. Also, at level 50, mana storm is fairly reliable, as long as you're paying attention. It's seriously cheap at 12 or so, and deals a lot of damage. I'm saying this because I have a hobbit mage at level 49, and he's doing just fine against most things he meets.

I have also won with a priest, and I stopped using orb at around level 30, or wherever you get 0% fail on Heal300. Morgoth was way easy. It was stand on rune, and heal300 or 1000 every now and then.

My plan with a mage is mana storm, if he casts something that brings me below my comfort zone, or I need restore mana or something I
just create doors. This, coupled with 5 rods of healing and 8 staves of healing, 9 staves of the magi, a few rods of drain life, a lot of wands of annihilation should do the trick, but I think that priest is simpler.

Not because of orb, but because of 0%fail heal. Oh, and banish evil, teleport away(mages have this too), alter reality, and finally, clairvoyance. Clairvoyance really screws the game up. My mage recently found the (randart) palantir. Even that is too strong. Maybe put it on a staff, which would be made unrechargeable or something. Clairvoyance lets you look at a level, and hey, look at that vault with a few unidentified rings, and a ring of speed. ivanilla had clairvoyance as map and light level, and normal detection and it was still enough to find vaults to check out, but it was a big enough nerf.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 07:30   #26
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
ivanilla had clairvoyance as map and light level, and normal detection and it was still enough to find vaults to check out, but it was a big enough nerf.
That is what I have been suggesting for clairvoyance for some time now.

Also Arkenstone activation needs to be changed, all other lightsources reveal something from dungeon structure, Phial by lighting rooms, Star by mapping nearby and Palantir by mapping entire dungeon. Arkenstone could be more useful with combination of Phial and Star than current practically useless detection. There have been games where I have used both Phial and Star in favor of Arkenstone, and Arkenstone as swap for HL and Light/Dark resists.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 15:31   #27
Spacebux
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 231
Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Spacebux: Have you ever played a mage? Diving is fairly dangerous for a while, but if you get Mordenkainens it's simple enough. Raal's is important sure, for more reasons than you listed, because of Meteor Swarm, which, by the way is an unresistable spell, and once you get four missiles, it gets powerful, because you have something that deals 200 damage for about 14 mana IIRC. That's twice as much as orb, ...
Of course, I hardly play anything BUT mages...! I would love to diversify and play more rogues .. if they were actually thief-like.. but, that is another rant.

Look, I have been trying to compare apples to kumquats as closely as possible---while both are still on the tree, so to speak. Trying to lay grounds for the case that the PRIEST's base set of spells are far more powerful in the ATTACK category than anything the MAGE's base set of spells can muster. (This has nothing to do with tactics, nothing to do with whining that the MAGE class being too weak. OK? Are we clear on that? Probably not, but.... )

And, yes, you validate my point that once a Mage has Raal's, basically, the game is whole different game for said Mage. My POINT: get away from the book-finding-aspect of the game, and make it a slower, more gradual build-up of spell power by searching and locating spell-scrolls to ratchet up Mage power, RATHER THAN the current system where a mage practically gains 6-7 spells at a time when finding & learning a new advanced book-at-a-time.

Right now, the Mage game is like scoring a Touchdown / Try / Goal / Nailing the Wicket (my feeble attempt at being worldly there) everytime you find an advanced book. A sigh of relief, a fist pumping---"YEAH LOOK AT THE ANGABND KING-GEEK!!!"---hoo-rah moment. Sure, some Warriors get excited about finding Elvagil, a Ranger might ballyhoo about snagging a set of holy ammo, but, Mage players know the game dynamics change dramatically with a slicker-than-snot-moment when an advanced book is acquired.

I'd prefer Mages to pick up parchments and discover, "hey, there's a new spell I could learn / add to my tomb of magic." And, move on to the next challenge. The Touchdown / Try / Goal / Wicket-busting momemts will dissipate like ocean waves into a coral reef at low-tide.

... any of this getting through? (http://www.hark.com/clips/bqjbfhhxxh...etting-through)

-SBux-
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 16:47   #28
Philip
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague,Czech Republic
Posts: 894
Philip is on a distinguished road
Mages don't change with extra firepower, but with escape spells like destruct, lellevel, teleport, telother. Also, if priests are powerful, just nerf them. Remove Clairvoyance? Monster saves against dispel evil(probably not banish though)? Take away the mage-ish spells that are duplicated in the late priest books?
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 19:30   #29
Taha
Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 128
Taha is on a distinguished road
I disagree with your premise that there is a huge discontinuity there. The priest dungeon spell books are more important than the mage dungeon spell books, with good healing, detection of nonevil monsters (hounds!) and objects, teleport other all being in the dungeon books. Getting rbase / rpoison / +5 or more speed / esp / a source of teleport other are all much much bigger than another source of damage for a mid stage mage or priest.

Finding Raal's isn't a game changer for my mages; diving reasonably quickly, it almost always shows up before I can cast all the spells in it, and initially the fail rate and mana cost are prohibitive compared to the bolts I already have, which work well against most of the monsters I can afford to fight. I only regularly use 2 spells out of it once the fail drops enough anyway (rift and meteor storm). The others are occasional special cases.

I would say Resistances is more important, as is Escapes, but those aren't game changers either - Escapes saves a slot vs word of recall and tele level scrolls, and resistances helps vs anything that breathe's rbase. (Tenser's is mostly junk). Finding Kelek's so I can start the level with banish Z... now that is special, but that is true for WoG too.

The game is full of breakpoints that increase your power with one nice find. Compared to your first item of speed or ESP, a spellbook here or there isn't that big of a deal.
________
Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011 at 15:02.
Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 19:42   #30
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,867
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Tenser's is useful for vastly increasing the reliability of recharging, which makes your attack wands more viable. Wands of Annihilation + Greater Recharging is actually reasonably viable against Morgoth.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dangerous change to searching PowerDiver Vanilla 18 January 15, 2010 21:29
Targeting change in HEAD d_m Vanilla 11 November 22, 2009 00:04
Change Mode Miley Vanilla 9 August 31, 2008 20:23
YACD my first mage (but not getting the full mage experience) will_asher AAR 9 September 8, 2007 06:34
[Z] Change race back Snarka Variants 4 July 22, 2007 17:57


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.