Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old November 4, 2013, 23:28   #11
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Great, saved me from writing an mpa-sil patch!
Old November 5, 2013, 05:16   #12
MarvinPA
Scout

MarvinPA is on a distinguished road
Staff of entrapment looks like it also never use-IDs.
MarvinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2013, 07:09   #13
locus
Adept

locus is on a distinguished road
if you're wearing an amulet of adornment and an intelligent monster sees you in the throne room during tension, he should comment on how nice it looks on you and auto-id it
locus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2013, 08:18   #14
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
Why wouldn't you prefer a trumpet of blasting to a mattock? It seems generally much better to me. In fact, I think it is one of the best items in the game...
For me the issue is that I usually need to use it more than once in a situation and I often don't have enough voice for that, so I need a digger too. With inventory so tight, I cannot justify a slot for both blasting and a digger.

The other trumpets only get carried until I can get the XP for identifying them or run out of slots for something I need. A shame really as I like the concept. Does *anyone* actually make use of them on a regular basis?
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2013, 10:32   #15
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Incidentally, as a non-expert, are trumpets Tolkien-esque? I certainly remember horns in the books, but not trumpets. Or is it just a different translation for the same instrument?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2013, 10:32   #16
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
For me the issue is that I usually need to use it more than once in a situation and I often don't have enough voice for that, so I need a digger too. With inventory so tight, I cannot justify a slot for both blasting and a digger.

The other trumpets only get carried until I can get the XP for identifying them or run out of slots for something I need. A shame really as I like the concept. Does *anyone* actually make use of them on a regular basis?
Terror, yes. I used blasting to take out silent watchers conveniently several times. But usually I suffer just as much from lack of free equipment slots as psi.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2013, 10:34   #17
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I have... In my last game, it actually saved me a lot of grief on the ascent, as I was able to blow holes in things as V chased me around. Very useful to not have to waste a couple of turns for that.

Of course, I doubt you have many games at all where V is actually alive on the ascent
Old November 5, 2013, 10:51   #18
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Of course, I doubt you have many games at all where V is actually alive on the ascent
Precisely 0. I am yet to experience the ascent with V in pursuit...
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2013, 12:00   #19
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Incidentally, as a non-expert, are trumpets Tolkien-esque? I certainly remember horns in the books, but not trumpets. Or is it just a different translation for the same instrument?
I'm pretty sure there are a couple of uses. Fingolfin blows one at the gates of Angband to challenge Morgoth to single combat (presumably a Trumpet of Warning). I think they are also blown at Minas Tirith before the battle and perhaps elsewhere. I'm imagining straight trumpets, perhaps with a heraldic banner or the like.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2013, 12:06   #20
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Does *anyone* actually make use of them on a regular basis?
I definitely keep trumpets of blasting. Being able to make holes in walls at a distance is sometimes useful. I think using them as an escape is very useful, but I could be wrong.

I don't often use Thunder or Terror. I guess that Thunder should be pretty useful. Giving something -2 to all skills is actually pretty good (like getting +2 dex and +2 gra during the fight). I think this might be one of those things that people undervalue, but I wouldn't know for sure as I don't keep them... They should be excellent against Cat Warriors and Trolls (low Will), against some uniques etc.

I wonder whether Terror is too much overlap with the staff of Majesty. It feels to me like one or the other should probably not exist in a game as tight as Sil.

Warning definitely has some uses, but it doesn't need any as it is just there as the perilous item of that item kind.
half is offline   Reply With Quote