Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 7, 2019, 17:21   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Go kill Sauron and Morgoth. You could do with a few more ordinary Healing potions, except you have an astonishing 22 !*Healing*. GWoThunder just are bad news all around. It is no surprise that you can't fight them easily.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 19:41   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Swapping out the helm only makes sense if you get con somewhere else. As for the confusion resistance you actually have 100% save. I think you can still be confused in melee? Otherwise you don't need it.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019, 22:53   #13
Voovus
Adept

Voovus is on a distinguished road
If this is your first time towards Morgoth, then you need protection from recklessness and protection from boredom. Those are the primary causes of death.

You have pretty much everything else covered for your journey except for blindness (ouch) and, less importantly, nexus and nether. Immunities are nice but not essential. You have plenty of consumables, but will hopefully find a better bow. Oh, nice shoes, by the way.

Note that as a Ranger you'll want to concentrate on shooting the biggest bosses to bits, so +speed will be more valuable than +damage. (In fact, your spare +8Spd ring gives you about +10% damage/round when you're hasted, as well as plenty of other benefits - how does that compare to your +14 damage ring?).

But there are plenty of nasty creatures waiting for you along the way - Smaug and Scatha will look like jokes in comparison.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019, 16:05   #14
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
I've been to DL99 once (and died with moderate heroism), but this is the deepest I've gotten since then. I know there are plenty of nasties down there! I've learned a lot about playing more tactically since then, but recklessness (and forgetting this is a turn-based game and I don't have to keep frantically mashing keys) is my #1 sin in Angband.

I remember reading here at some point that speed over +20 wasn't really worthwhile, but that hasn't been my experience, so perhaps I will try swapping speed for damage and see where that gets me. Blindness isn't so bad as I do have ESP; I've barely noticed.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019, 16:41   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's not that speed over +20 isn't worthwhile, it just becomes harder to balance against other bonuses. The reason why +20 is so significant is that with temporary haste up that gets you to +30, which means that no monster in the game (particularly Morgoth) can get two turns in a row on you. But from +28 onwards (if I recall correctly) speed starts having diminishing returns, that is it takes more than +1 speed to get any change in how fast you actually move. Gaining more speed is helpful...but if it comes at the expense of significant amounts of HP or damage or other important abilities, it's probably not worthwhile.

For example, if you go from +30 speed to +40 speed, you're actually only 10.5% faster. So if you're sacrificing less than 10% of your damage-dealing capability to get that extra 10% speed, it's worth going for speed. If you were trading 20% damage for 10% speed, or getting less of a speed bonus, then it might not be worth doing.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2019, 12:15   #16
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
For example, if you go from +30 speed to +40 speed, you're actually only 10.5% faster. So if you're sacrificing less than 10% of your damage-dealing capability to get that extra 10% speed, it's worth going for speed. If you were trading 20% damage for 10% speed, or getting less of a speed bonus, then it might not be worth doing.
I see! Considering how much of this game comes down to math, it's kind of amazing that I enjoy it so much.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2019, 14:36   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
This is why people say things like "don't really worry about speed once you can get to +30 from temporary haste."
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2019, 15:24   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Derakon--
And "speed over 40 is worthless", because the actual energy per unit speed is pitifully small. At least between 30 and 40 you get *something*.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2019, 16:15   #19
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I think +30 un-hasted is worthwhile if you can get it. It's not worth sacrificing something important for but if you're lucky enough to find feanor's boots or you are wearing Cubragol with 2 rings of power etc. etc. you tend to get it without sacrificing anything. +30 has that nice "I'm still at +30 the round my speed potion suddenly ends" thing going on.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2019, 18:46   #20
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Thats a first age problem.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote