Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 3, 2020, 11:58   #1
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Future development of 4.2.1. - canine issue

There isn't any main topic for 4.2.1. development yet, so I'm just making a new one here just to make a request for the future.

There are too many fights against wolves during the early game. The packs are very common, practically always awake, give massive EXP for their difficulty and generally annoy me every time I see one. But that's not enough, there are THREE different types of wolves. All similar except a white wolf has rCold and a warg is evil. That's it. The main problem is that they are not a threat IF YOU WANT so. They don't follow you to the corridor unless you're >50% wounded. Yet, you kinda want to go through killing them, because it's free EXP.

They give ridiculous amount of EXP compared to felines appearing on same depths. One wolf gives more compared to a panther, which is far more dangerous. Same if you compare warg - tiger. And even a werewolf - sabre-tooth tiger (this is besides the issue but I'll mention it because st-cat is FAR more dangerous).

My suggestion is to at least remove white wolves, reduce the pack size for the rest of the canines, remove their GROUP_ID so they will follow you into the corridor and remove the irrational movement. Even that would not justify the larger EXP value they give compared to felines. Not a cat person or dog person, btw..

I'm not starting here on Z-hounds. Those have similar issues, but I'm now mostly annoyed by the early game canine mini-game and would like to see that fixed in future versions.

Any comments?
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2020, 12:26   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I look at it a little differently. If you reach DL 8 at low CL, by definition you have more experience than is shown in your XP. Ergo there needs to be a way to reward you. Monsters like wolves are that reward. By the time you reach CL 10, you aren't getting such a big payoff, and it falls off exponentially with CL.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2020, 12:31   #3
Sphara
Swordsman

I like diving, but for me, this reasoning does not justify endless, boring and risk-free fights.
Thanks for the opinion, though. Besides the straight up change/removal request, I really wanted to have the community view on this issue.
Old March 3, 2020, 13:31   #4
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I like White Wolves. At the very least they are a different colour. I also like Group AI.

As far as Wargs are concerned:

friends:80:2d7:Warg
friends:100:2d7:Same
friends:50:2d4:Warg
friends:80:2d5:Warg
friends:50:1d5:Warg
friends:80:2d5:Warg
friends:60:2d4:Warg:servant
friends:50:2d4:warg:servant

You could make them a bit rarer & still fit a lot of wargs into the game. Anyway not too bothered by Cs in general, other then thinking it would be sad to see white wolves go.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2020, 15:04   #5
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
I also find them a bit too frequent to be fun. They are one of the least interesting monsters to fight in the game.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2020, 17:10   #6
Sphara
Swordsman

@wobbly
I don't think GROUP AI in general, is a negative thing at all. But being forced to repeat luring wolves out one by one on every freakin level after like DL8, is major negative for me. I don't want to "walk away from" a monster just because of pure boredom of fighting them. The game has enough monsters you're supposed to walk away from. And that is because of their danger, not because of repetitive boredom of the fight.

Also concerning to white wolves, I could see them being changed into a more dangerous single monster (I'd upgrade werewolf too in the same process, but that would make wolf chieftain pretty similar).
Old March 3, 2020, 17:24   #7
Anarchic Fox
Rookie

Anarchic Fox is on a distinguished road
Subjectively, I never had any problems with wolves in my Angband games. It took me a fairly long time to learn that in Angband I can just turn and walk away, even if the level message is juicy, and after that point I stopped dreading undead so much. Perhaps an alteration of playstyle is in order?

And then, the hounds. The hounds are exquisite. As long as I am diligent, they present little to no hazard. But then, should my awareness or diligence slip, they stand ready to burst from an unexpected direction and make a mundane scenario interesting, or an interesting scenario deadly. I think they are perfect as is.
Anarchic Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2020, 17:49   #8
Sphara
Swordsman

@Anarchic Fox
Everything I've said in this thread, is also purely subjective

I've been playing this game so long that going through this same pattern of disposing wolves outta my way, has gotten overwhelmingly annoying.

This is the only way I can interact with game development and I want to be damn sure it keeps going in the right way (subjectively).
It sure as hell did in release of 4.2.0 (subjectively).

Cheers
Old March 3, 2020, 19:23   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I don't see anything wrong with increasing the variety of enemies faced in the early game. It should be as simple as dialling down the frequency on Wargs/White Wolves, right?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2020, 19:27   #10
Anarchic Fox
Rookie

Anarchic Fox is on a distinguished road
Hehheh. In that case, maybe the problem isn't with the wolves or their numbers, but with the available wolf-disposal options. Like, I've won three times now, and am having a blast as a druid, but I still have never bothered with the lower-level mass damage items. Maybe it would be a good idea to have some dumb, low-level area of effect item that's super high radius, super low damage. If an old-timer pops up to object that the item trivializes wolves, that back in his day wolves meant something, then that's a good sign that the problem has been solved.

Like, I get that there's an appealing elegance to the original elemental magic system. But the elemental damage system that the druids now have is so much more fun than that of the wands. You might rework the elemental wands (or staves, or whatever, I've always found them useless relative to other items that could be in their slot) so that one of them is specifically the Wand of Die Wolf Die. I dunno, it catches their fur on fire and when they run off yelping it doesn't matter, since they'll die instead of showing up again a few rooms later.

Last edited by Anarchic Fox; March 3, 2020 at 19:42.
Anarchic Fox is offline   Reply With Quote