Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Did you read 'Silmarillion'?
Yes 24 80.00%
No, not yet 3 10.00%
No, I first time hear about 'Silmarillion' 0 0%
I can not read 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 8, 2020, 11:04   #11
Anomander
Rookie

Anomander is on a distinguished road
Read the Silmarillion after LotR and the Hobbit. Love the epic scope that is even grander than LotR as well as the stories about individual characters with their resemblance to greek tragedies (as in the stories of Feanor and Turin to give just two examples). And who dares to say the Ainulindalė is boring
I don't think reading it is necessary to play Angband, but it definitely enriches the experience.
One thing I'd like to add is how closely the appendices to LotR and some minor characters are referenced in Angband. There are quite a few named characters I never paid attention to, that are uniques in Angband. An example would be Angamaitė and Sangahyando. Especially with Sangahyando I honestly thought 'That's definitely not a name by Tolkien' although in retrospective it fits.
But I really liked seeng some of these names when skimming through the appendices recently.
Anomander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2020, 16:29   #12
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I got through half of the Similarillion when I tried reading it over ten years ago. I didn't find it very engaging and I don't remember really anything from it; except maybe something about two trees and silmarils. Maybe I should give it another try.
Old April 8, 2020, 17:08   #13
sffp
Scout

sffp is on a distinguished road
Gonna say I skimmed much of the Silmarillion and read the interesting stories. I may give it another shot - but a lot of other things require my time too...
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2020, 17:37   #14
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
I knew there was a book called Silmarillion by the time I first beat Angband. Hadn't read Tolkien at all. All my knowledge was based on Ralph Bakshi's LoTR movie (which fell incomplete).
I've read both since. It was fun bumping into characters I'd seen in this game.
How come Tom Bombadil isn't in Angand? He should be rare and not show up in vaults.

This creature should show up pretty early (natively DL32 or so) and have 100,000 hitpoints and 255AC. Move extremely quickly and very randomly. He won't attack. He will sing a lot of his wife, however, whenever @ does attack him; he'll also sing of the rivers, and dales, and willows, and Old Man Willow and other things of nature.

Killing him would give 1,000,000 exp for a level 50 character but would ultimately be pretty much impossible: if he suffers a lot of damage, he will simply heal up 5% of his max hit points (so 5,000 heal) and laugh and say something to the effect that @'s efforts to kill him are cute.

Some of his tricks would include phasing, teleporting, teleport-to, teleporting @ off the level, teleporting himself off the level, immunity to *destruction*, immunity to the elements including poison, sound, shards, light, dark, chaos, disenchantment, nether, plasma, Time, but maybe not gravity. He is immune to stunning, blindness, confusion.

He would drop one good object.

Also, might we get the boots of Tom Bombadil as an artifact? <+10> speed, <+3> stealth, <+1> CON, pFear, FrAct, rDisenchantment, rNexus, provides immunity to curses (including the curses belonging to certain artifacts that are part of the Randart set [you know of which I speak]). Activation: restores some mana, cures confusion, cures fear, cures hallucination, provides resistance to confusion and chaos for 50 +7d7 turns.

Last edited by Grotug; April 8, 2020 at 17:50.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2020, 18:46   #15
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
That sounds horrible
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2020, 21:17   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Also, might we get the boots of Tom Bombadil as an artifact? <+10> speed, <+3> stealth, <+1> CON, pFear, FrAct, rDisenchantment, rNexus, provides immunity to curses (including the curses belonging to certain artifacts that are part of the Randart set [you know of which I speak]). Activation: restores some mana, cures confusion, cures fear, cures hallucination, provides resistance to confusion and chaos for 50 +7d7 turns.
And they would be yellow.
Old April 8, 2020, 21:28   #17
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
How come Tom Bombadil isn't in Angand? He should be rare and not show up in vaults.
You've inspired me to add Tom in Tangaria https://tangaria.com/news/tom-bombadil/ He's got best singing AI ever :P
tangar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2020, 22:14   #18
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
@Grotug
Believe me, reading lotr for the first time, I had no idea wtf Tom Bombadil was. Until the very end I was certain he'd reappear in one way or another.

Edit: Tom really does not need to appear in Angband game, but it would be pretty cool to have an artifact carrying his name.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2020, 23:37   #19
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
@Grotug
Believe me, reading lotr for the first time, I had no idea wtf Tom Bombadil was. Until the very end I was certain he'd reappear in one way or another.

Edit: Tom really does not need to appear in Angband game, but it would be pretty cool to have an artifact carrying his name.
Hah, yeah he does seem like he should come out of nowhere to save Aragorn's bacon.

I hated TB when I read the novels as a lad, and found him annoying still reading as an adult, but strangely when I heard him on audiobook he was pretty entertaining. Perhaps I don't have enough musical imagination to appreciate him on the page.

An artifact does sound like an appropriate tribute.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2020, 07:06   #20
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
i hate to be that guy, but, if you want to read the silmarillion to understand angband (or the LOTR films...) then, just watch a youtube video. the silmarillion is more of a sourcebook to the LOTR world than a standalone story, and while sure it's great for LOTR nerds who want to geek out on this enormous fantasy world, it doesnt make for fun reading if you like a good plot.