Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 30, 2009, 22:26   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebo View Post
My argument with !rStat is that in most cases i find myself scumming for them, since reduced stats have a huge impact on my chars performance - having them always available simply reduces the annoyance factor
So... these !rStat being so vital, when you find one in the dungeon (assuming you don't need it immediately), do you bother to lug it to the surface with you, so you can store it in your home for when you need it, or do you leave it lying on he dungeon floor, so you can cram yet another {excellent} longsword into your pack to sell topside. I mean, between the 'shrooms and the potions, they are not all that rare.

I know I always do the latter, but I don't consider !rStat to be all that vital.

Restore Life Levels on the other hand, now that's vital!
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009, 22:34   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
So... these !rStat being so vital, when you find one in the dungeon (assuming you don't need it immediately), do you bother to lug it to the surface with you
The other point is that you shouldn't be restoring a stat just because it is down 1 or 2 unless you have a spare restore for later.

It helps to use the full power of the autoroller in pre-3.1 to get your stats high enough that you can afford to lose a point, or when using current point-based put all your points into primary stats to cope a bit with drainage.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009, 23:41   #13
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I've never understood why the number of consumables in stores should be limited. Being forced to play without necessary items isn't fun, and town scumming isn't fun, so why not just let the character be able to buy what he needs when he's in town? It's what the gold is for, after all. I want to be able to spend the money I've gathered in the dungeon, and I want to be able to spend it on relevant items.

Edit: and from the perspective of those who are concerned with turncount, and are worried that this could make things too easy: do you really want the survival of your character (if you refuse to scum) or the lowness of your turncount (if you do scum) to be put in jeopardy simply by the whim of the shopkeeper? Random denial of essentials has never struck me as a fun mechanic to have to play around.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009, 23:47   #14
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
I've never understood why the number of consumables in stores should be limited. Being forced to play without necessary items isn't fun, and town scumming isn't fun, so why not just let the character be able to buy what he needs when he's in town? It's what the gold is for, after all.
One answer is to allow buying out stores - but if everything is in permanent stock, this could perhaps only apply to the weaponsmith, armor shop, black market, and perhaps temple (maybe the weapons would just be merged into the weaponsmith).
Old January 31, 2009, 03:38   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've never understood why the number of consumables in stores should be limited. Being forced to play without necessary items isn't fun, and town scumming isn't fun, so why not just let the character be able to buy what he needs when he's in town? It's what the gold is for, after all. I want to be able to spend the money I've gathered in the dungeon, and I want to be able to spend it on relevant items.
Donald J has it right: if the basics (so-called) are permanently in stock, it becomes impossible to force restock. This means there's no way to force the other items--like ?Recharge--to occur, even if you want them desperately.

Of course if there were a forced buyout option (hint, hint) you could cater to both wishes: common things always avialable; less common things easily available for a large premium.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009, 04:51   #16
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Some might find it challenging, others, have the option of scumming.
Certain items being out of stock at certain times, is the whim of the RNG. The very heart and soul of Angband....blah, blah, blah....
If you had a choice of all 'so-called' necessities being in stock all the time, but nothing 'non-essential' would ever be sold, or the shops being maintained the way they are now, which would you choose?
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009, 08:26   #17
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you had a choice of all 'so-called' necessities being in stock all the time, but nothing 'non-essential' would ever be sold, or the shops being maintained the way they are now, which would you choose?
The first one: necessities in stock all the time. Black market and dungeon drops are for 'non-essential' stuff.
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009, 09:18   #18
bebo
Adept

bebo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So... these !rStat being so vital, when you find one in the dungeon (assuming you don't need it immediately), do you bother to lug it to the surface with you, so you can store it in your home for when you need it, or do you leave it lying on he dungeon floor, so you can cram yet another {excellent} longsword into your pack to sell topside. I mean, between the 'shrooms and the potions, they are not all that rare.
exactly my point - in any case i'd raver reserve the inventory slot to an ego item rather than a !rStat - since they are available in the shop, either directly or via scumming. I was proposing giving them fixed slots in order to avoid having to scum for them, to increase the "fun" factor. It's not a problem regarding rarity, but rather inventory management.

EDIT - now, a more radical approach would be to not make them available in the shop altogether and increase their drop rate, or whatever. But i have no clue as to how something like this might affect gameplay, balance, etc.
bebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009, 10:27   #19
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
I would suggest allowing the ordering of most items in advance (at a premium price).

Alternatively you could allow 'investment' in shops and give your character influence over the shop's purchasing decisions based on how much you've invested.
PaulBlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009, 21:12   #20
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Donald J has it right: if the basics (so-called) are permanently in stock, it becomes impossible to force restock. This means there's no way to force the other items--like ?Recharge--to occur, even if you want them desperately.
...And why can't there be unlimited ?Recharging? (That is, why can't every item that occurs naturally in the Alchemy Shop be unlimited in quantity?)

Sorry, I'm not trying to be dense, I just don't see where the fundamental problem lies.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote