Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old April 16, 2011, 05:24   #1
APWhite
Adept

APWhite is on a distinguished road
Trying to get GIT

One of these days, I need take about 3 hours and do some research on how to fully use the GIT. Then, I could stick the borg files into the angband project.

I signed up for a github account. I have gitbash or something like that on my machine. But I have not had the chance to sit down with it and see how to download and integrate the git files with those on my machine. Or even better, how do I upload my frequent borg updates to the git repository?

I hope youtube has some good training videos.

Oh ya, BTW. Can I get permission to make commit changes to the library? The borg and screen-saver need to have a few changes to the game code. It's easiest if I make them.

Last edited by APWhite; April 16, 2011 at 05:35.
APWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2011, 07:15   #2
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
I think, basically, you can clone the main angband repository and make and commit changes to your own version. Then, someone with access to the main-line can merge your changes into the production version.

Whenever you want to update your version to production, you simply merge any changes in production into your own version. You'll keep any changes that you've made that aren't in production and get any that made it into production after you cloned it initially.

Does that make sense? Is this more or less correct for git (I'm more experienced with SVN)?
Old April 16, 2011, 07:53   #3
myshkin
Angband Devteam member

myshkin is on a distinguished road
You should follow the instructions on the GitMaster page on the rephial wiki. The "Setting up" and "Feature branches" apply to you. Once you have changes that you want us to pull into the mainline, let us know, and we can merge them.
myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2011, 09:21   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
You should follow the instructions on the GitMaster page on the rephial wiki. The "Setting up" and "Feature branches" apply to you. Once you have changes that you want us to pull into the mainline, let us know, and we can merge them.
http://trac.rephial.org/wiki/GitUsage might also be helpful. The the key steps are

1. Go to http://github.com/angband/angband and click Fork. That will create a copy of the official repository in your own github account.

2. git clone git://github.com/you/angband. That will make you a local copy of your github fork, so that you can work on the code. Once you've done this, you can make a borg branch and start integrating your code - including making any changes you need to the rest of the code.

3. git push origin borg. That will push your new branch, with the integrated borg code, up to github. When you've done that, let us know and we can try to merge it. Don't worry about keeping up-to-date with nightlies - merging will be tricky anyway.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2011, 10:07   #5
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhite View Post
One of these days, I need take about 3 hours and do some research on how to fully use the GIT.
That is the exact point at which you will find out about the bottled awesomesauce that accompanies every git install.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011, 03:53   #6
APWhite
Adept

Is there a way to copy the files from the online repository onto my machine or do I have to do some line-by-line copying?
Old April 17, 2011, 03:58   #7
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is there a way to copy the files from the online repository onto my machine or do I have to do some line-by-line copying?
You might want to read a git primer, e.g. this one and go from there.
Old April 17, 2011, 07:38   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Git clone does exactly that - copies the entire online repo to your local machine.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011, 14:35   #9
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Hey APW,

I've seen the changes you've made so far in your repository, but I'd like to suggest different changes:

1. Putting 'extern' (and an extra comment line) in front of all the arrays in player/calcs.c is bad style. "extern" means "this is defined in another file", not "this is used in another file". When you define an array at the same time as saying "don't use this definition, it's defined elsewhere", compilers will get confused (I think this is the cause of some warnings in another thread). Just removing "static" will have the intended effect, and if you want us to pull this code into the main repository, I'd prefer not to have 'apw' tags.

2. I see you've re-added some removed macros to z-virt... please could you update the borg code not to use them instead of adding them back in? They were removed because they're really bad style and there are better ways to write the same code that makes it more obvious what's going on. Replacing all instances of
i. MAKE(P, T) with P = ZNEW(T) and
ii. C_MAKE(P, N, T) with P = C_ZNEW(N, T)
will do the trick.
Old April 18, 2011, 04:01   #10
APWhite
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Hey APW,

I've seen the changes you've made so far in your repository, but I'd like to suggest different changes:

1. Putting 'extern' (and an extra comment line) in front of all the arrays in player/calcs.c is bad style. "extern" means "this is defined in another file", not "this is used in another file". When you define an array at the same time as saying "don't use this definition, it's defined elsewhere", compilers will get confused (I think this is the cause of some warnings in another thread). Just removing "static" will have the intended effect, and if you want us to pull this code into the main repository, I'd prefer not to have 'apw' tags.

2. I see you've re-added some removed macros to z-virt... please could you update the borg code not to use them instead of adding them back in? They were removed because they're really bad style and there are better ways to write the same code that makes it more obvious what's going on. Replacing all instances of
i. MAKE(P, T) with P = ZNEW(T) and
ii. C_MAKE(P, N, T) with P = C_ZNEW(N, T)
will do the trick.
Sure I can make those changes.

Removing the apw tags would simple enough. Its not ego. I have them there because it is easy to search for apw to find the needed code changes. Once the code changes have been added to the main code base, there would be no need to have the tags.

I was using GIT GUI and it does not seem to be very friendly. I do not see how I can add files to my repository. Staging them and committing them poops out as well. I have not had enough free (uninterrupted) time to learn all the terms (push, stage, commit, etc).

I found today, that after making some changes to my code, when I loaded up the Git GUI, it recognized the changes and listed those code changes. That was nice.

I have not seen how I can add a file to the online repository. My local repository has the borg stuff but the GUI did not ask for my online login information. Again, this is through the GUI, I have not used the command line tool.