Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 11, 2009, 01:18   #41
Blackened
Rookie

Blackened is on a distinguished road
Hi Warrior, it is good to see you here! Being sworn vi-keys user and occasional MAngband player myself, I would like to share some observations of my own.

I think the main problem with the rogue-like keymap is that it seems not to be documented anywhere in the game, despite the fact that (at least) most of the commands have its corresponding counterpart somewhere on the keyboard. For example, if I remember correctly, it is ‘O’ for the party menu. I was wondering, would it be possible to display correct Quick Reference Guide (i.e. the one shown when hitting ‘?’) according to the current rogue_like_commands setting?

Another confusing experience is the macro mapping. Let's say you want to use a Staff of Teleportation anytime you press F5. According to the (otherwise excellent) step by step tutorial at the MAngband forum, you have to inscribe your staff with ‘@u5’ first and then define a corresponding macro action ‘\eu5’. Unfortunately, this will not work, because the appropriate key in rogue-like keymap is ‘Z’, so you have to rewrite it to ‘\eZ5’ while keeping the inscription intact. Well, it is logical, but nevertheless, it took me a while to figure that out right. It would be really helpful to mention it somewhere, ideally adding it as an alternative in the parentheses to the tutorial mentioned above.

Speaking about macros, there is a little ‘annoyance’ that keeps killing most of my promising characters. I have the ‘\eq3’ action defined for quaffing a potion of healing and ‘\eZ1’ for using a Staff of Teleportation. Unfortunately, it happens quite often that my potions are destroyed or all used in the middle of the battle without me noticing it (I really hate those hounds!). Trying to quaff the missing potion presents me with a dialog ‘Quaff which potion?’, again, without me having time to pay attention to it. At that point, I usually know I am loosing the battle, so I try to teleport myself away, but all of a sudden, I am presented with a party menu and non of the keys do anything until I get rid of it. When I finally do, all I see is my ghost or a gravestone. Is there any known workaround, or am I the only one with wooden fingers?

Anyway, MAngband is a great game and I only regret not having enough time to play it more. I also like the idea of the time bubbles and I am really looking forward to see it in action. Keep up the good work and see you in the game!
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 02:53   #42
Nolendil
Adept

Donated: 10 euro
Nolendil is on a distinguished road
Thanks again for your reply, Warrior.

- About the roguelike keyset and the '\' key

Not perfect but still much easier than disabling roguelike keys in the options and enabling them again. Thanks for the tip

- About time bubbles

Yes, players are often even more imaginative than expected when trying to push the limits of the game even when the developers think they covered everything (I should know as I'm working in the game industry ).

- About options not saving

I'm willing to test some more, possibly when a member of the team is online to try different processes, exchange feedbacks and see where it's going wrong.

- About version numbers

Ok, great! But I'll keep an eye open anyway

- About missing Angband features

Off course, I understand merging recent changes is not a easy task. I don't expect it to be perfect right away.
Patience is a virtue that most *banders must have learnt

- The monster recall feature

I see your point but I though people might want to browse it when in a safe area. I'm also the kind of person that likes to read a book in the middle of a fight, even if I'll have to die because of that ^^'
Interesting info about how long it took to reach 2000ft, life has been harsh for MAngbanders it seems

- About unified m command

For info, the 'p' command is still used to 'p'ray in V but now you can also use 'm' to do it (I guess the 'p' key still only writes "You pray to your god" or something like that for non-priests, I haven't checked).
Since I mostly played mages and priests (switching from one class to the other), I often got confused when trying to cast spells and when the unified 'm' command was added, I got used to only use that key: my fingers memory is now really used to it, only one set of movements to remember for casting the spells with both class (I don't use macro a lot ).
I understand your point (and partly share it) but I don't see any real problem except that you'll have two keys that will do the same thing for priest spells casting characters.

- About details in equipment list

Yes, that's partly cosmetic but also informative as you quickly see what kind of equipment you're missing. That's mostly useful at the very beginning when you have to buy your starting equipment to fill all those slots that all look identical to a new player.

- Artifacts

I like the idea that artifacts stay uniques as long as you have some hope that they might become available again at some time or that you can find acceptable substitutes.
However, I'm not sure it would work with a huge community. Then the tempting route might be to make artifacts not unique, like it's done in Diablo, but the magic would vanish for sure.
Well, so far, so good

As a side note, how do you manage unique monsters?

PS : Hi, Blackened, nice to see another roguelike keys addict
Nolendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 07:24   #43
PaulBlay
Knight

PaulBlay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
Another confusing experience is the macro mapping. Let's say you want to use a Staff of Teleportation anytime you press F5. According to the (otherwise excellent) step by step tutorial at the MAngband forum, you have to inscribe your staff with ‘@u5’ first and then define a corresponding macro action ‘\eu5’. Unfortunately, this will not work, because the appropriate key in rogue-like keymap is ‘Z’, so you have to rewrite it to ‘\eZ5’ while keeping the inscription intact.
I presume that you can also just use \e\u5 ? (the '\' key should access the underlying keyset instead of the roguelike alternative).
Old May 11, 2009, 20:27   #44
Nolendil
Adept

Donated: 10 euro
Nolendil is on a distinguished road
Another thing that came to my mind when reading the MAngband newbie guide: the '/' command is not only used for monster recall but also to learn what any symbol represents.
This might be helpful for new players not already familiar with *bands.

P.S.: It was a good idea to read the newbie guide as I now have more answers to my death related questions.
Quote:
In MAngband when you die you become a ghost and have the option to resurect. If your ghost is killed, you are dead for good. As a ghost you can simply drift up through the dungeon floor, you don't need to use the stairs, you will be resurected when you walk into the temple ( shop number #4).

When you are killed and turned into a ghost your equipment falls to the floor. Rather than drift up to town to resurrect (thus loosing all your equipment permanently) you may prefer to ask for a rescue. Another player can come down into the dungeon and read a Scroll of Life next to your ghost, life will return to your body and you can pickup your equipment or what's left of it.
I'm also grateful for the "On Important Depths" section as I tend to forget these (which was not a problem so far as I can barely reach dlvl 30-35) ^^'

Last edited by Nolendil; May 11, 2009 at 20:57.
Nolendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2009, 09:34   #45
relientKitten
Rookie

relientKitten is on a distinguished road
There is a Mangband server being run by some of my fellow geeks at work here at Portland State. They've tied in-game chat to our IRC server so we can pester them about smacking servers even while they're in the midst of diving. XD

I can't quite handle the faster-reaction time required of the game, but they all live and breathe it and are constantly playing. Macros are a must and anything with good melee skills will do well since you auto-melee anything that attacks you. I'm not really a fan of the whole house-full-of-stuff-for-your-new-character-to-use-right-off-the-bat thing; a lowly level 1 tricked out in artifacts just seems wrong to me. :x
relientKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2018, 10:48   #46
tangar
Adept

tangar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up MAngband - 20 years!

/me searched @ forum and found this dusty, but pretty interesting topic about MAngband.. Time to resurrect it!

Hiho! I've just started to play MAngband (Multiplayer Angband) - https://mangband.org.

Recently this game had a birthday - 20 years!

It's got new website, relay between game and Discord (https://discord.gg/U5B65Rh) and also updates comming soon. Gameplay feels very oldschool and I enjoyed it! My video stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnZP-ZE63Aw

As the most often question considering MAngband is 'how roguelike could be played online, if it's turn-based??', I would answer it right away hehe:

Quote:
Speaking literally, this is fast-paced turn-based game. But turns happens on real-time basis - something like every second is one turn passes.

Every turn player and monsters could make a move (perform an action). Drinking a potion, for example, drain only part of 'energy' from the turn. Having +speed items give possibility to perform more action at short period of time.

Easiest way to see how turns run - to equip torch and check 'e' several times in a row - you would see how amount of turns decrease on it.

To handle 'real-time', your character automatically fights in melee nearby enemies and all you need to do is approach them; magic spells and shooting has to be done manually thought, but also you could assign macro to perform actions faster and effectively.

There is 'Newbie guide' which could give basic info: https://mangband.org/docs/the-mangband-newbie-guide
===============

There is an update comming soon! You could check issues @ github: https://github.com/mangband/mangband/issues

Join the development! It would be great to get help from the community!
Old November 29, 2018, 10:40   #47
tangar
Adept

tangar is on a distinguished road
Wink

Past 3 hours' stream @ MAngband - TROLLISH ADVENTURE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5tai1qfrZg

Trolls are not so stupid as humans think, you know?!