AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 4, 2018, 06:04   #71
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
7. As an animal loving and vegetarian druid, it feels thematically wrong to go around killing cute fluffy creatures, like cats, jackals, wolves, bears, tigers, oliphaunts and, um, hounds. Maybe give the druid a politically-correctly-named spell that would mass banish these creatures?
Animal Rescue. These beasts are clearly in need of rescue, having been taken out of their native environments, let loose into a barren, rock-filled mine amid monsters that aren't prey/food. The druid could transport them back to their native lands.

Zephyr Hounds, to my mind, are not natural animals and would not count. I think of them the same as the corrupted wolves (darkhounds) in the Wheel of Time series. While still animals they don't have a natural environment outside the mine.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018, 11:44   #72
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the excellent druid comments. Its unsurprising I guess that the shapechanges aren't balanced correctly as they're so new. I think definitely shapechanged players should be able to pick up objects, but probably still not do anything else.
Old December 4, 2018, 18:38   #73
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Ugh! There's still a sneaky *CRASH* bug lurking about. Playing the comp on Angband.live, at DL39, mostly clear the level, killing the Three Trolls in the process, descend the stairs -- CRASH -- lose all progress from the level and back at the start of DL39. I'm on tilt and have to stop playing for awhile. Hopefully Gwarl can get a recovery file, but I don't think the savefile will help locate the bug, as it was at the end of the long-fought level.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018, 18:48   #74
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Sorry for your loss. I feel your pain! At least when you replay it you know where the good drops are.
Old December 4, 2018, 21:26   #75
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Ugh! There's still a sneaky *CRASH* bug lurking about. Playing the comp on Angband.live, at DL39, mostly clear the level, killing the Three Trolls in the process, descend the stairs -- CRASH -- lose all progress from the level and back at the start of DL39. I'm on tilt and have to stop playing for awhile. Hopefully Gwarl can get a recovery file, but I don't think the savefile will help locate the bug, as it was at the end of the long-fought level.
Yeah crash on going down the stairs usually means it's in level generation, and they're the hardest bugs to find, too. Thanks for the report.
Old December 4, 2018, 21:59   #76
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yeah crash on going down the stairs usually means it's in level generation, and they're the hardest bugs to find, too. Thanks for the report.
Dang! I've also had this happen to me several times yesterday and once today playing angband.live master branch. There was always a flash of red text in the bottom of the screen that disappeared so quickly I never could read a single word of it.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018, 23:34   #77
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If you have a save from shortly before going down the stairs, you may be able to replicate the crash by taking exactly the same sequence of in-game actions between loading the save and going down the stairs. That would help with debugging.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2018, 00:20   #78
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
There was always a flash of red text in the bottom of the screen that disappeared so quickly I never could read a single word of it.
Don't bother trying - it basically just says the game's crashing
Old December 9, 2018, 15:39   #79
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
OK, here's a random question. If rogue-types drop ?PD, how come archers don't drop ammo?
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018, 01:34   #80
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Is it reasonable to request that warriors not shield bash enemies when doing so has no effect on the enemy? Some enemies aren't confusable or stunnable, yet @ keeps bashing them with his shield and stumbling instead of just thrusting his weapon into such enemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
OK, here's a random question. If rogue-types drop ?PD, how come archers don't drop ammo?
Seems like a valid point. Of course, if an archer kobold dropped seeking arrows of wounding, after hitting you with arrows that did 18 damage one, might wonder why he wasn't using the seeker arrows.

Speaking of seeker arrows, maybe seeker arrows shouldn't have more dice than other ammo, maybe they should just have extremely high to-hit; like 20+ up to mid 30s and in super rare occasions low 40s. The word "seeker" implies arrows that always hit their target.