Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 16, 2018, 02:12   #21
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes, almost certainly. Cestuses are a bit heavier than leather gloves.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 02:15   #22
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Gnomes have good magic device skill, which couples with the mage's innately strong magic device skill to make attack wands even more powerful. But mostly, they have good INT without the heinous EXP penalties that high-elves have.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 05:16   #23
Kodiologist
Rookie

Kodiologist is on a distinguished road
I just got two-shotted by Tselakus the Dreadlord on DL 40. I was warned by the level feeling, but man, not having see invisible is a killer.
Kodiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 05:34   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Oof, yeah, that's a little late to not have either SI or ESP. Tselakus shouldn't be at DL40, but you should still have had at least some warning that he was around, beyond just the level feeling.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 05:52   #25
Kodiologist
Rookie

That seems fair.

Dump: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22092

I was very happy with all those Intelligence bonuses, and I had the low resists covered, but lacking see invisible, confusion resistance, and blindness resistance all hurt.
Old November 16, 2018, 07:04   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Youch! Even an ordinary dread could have taken that character out with Nether Bolt. You start getting strength drained by an invisible monster and it is time to go. Also: mage has reveal monsters at low level. Use it! Also: you need more HP. Just a few points to CON at the start can help.

Edit: But it is the detection that matters the most. Until late in the game, Mage has such bad HP that just about everything at native depth can kill you in a couple turns. You have to rely on detection, avoidance, and evasion. If you want to kill monsters, pick Warrior or Paladin. Rogue starts a little slow, but gains power fast.

Last edited by Pete Mack; November 16, 2018 at 07:44.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 09:27   #27
Adam
Scout

Adam is on a distinguished road
With a low HP character i would wear the elvenkind armor instead of the resistance for sure. You don't need AC, but you need good stealth with a mage.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 17:29   #28
Kodiologist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Until late in the game, Mage has such bad HP that just about everything at native depth can kill you in a couple turns. You have to rely on detection, avoidance, and evasion.
Yeah, I've been leaning on Detect Monsters and picking my battles. Reveal Monsters costs a lot more mana and has a much higher failure rate, but I should've gotten into the habit of using it at this point with all my Intelligence bonuses.

Quote:
Also: you need more HP. Just a few points to CON at the start can help.
That makes sense, because although I wouldn't get a lot more HP that way, just 25 extra HP (at level 30, raising Con from 10 to 16 grants 25.5 HP) are worth something when my HP are this low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
With a low HP character i would wear the elvenkind armor instead of the resistance for sure. You don't need AC, but you need good stealth with a mage.
I assumed that +1 stealth was too small a bonus to matter, but I don't actually know the scale for stealth. Is there a good place to look in the code to learn about the stealth mechanics?
Old November 16, 2018, 17:49   #29
Pondlife
Apprentice

Pondlife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiologist View Post
Yeah, I've been leaning on Detect Monsters and picking my battles. Reveal Monsters costs a lot more mana and has a much higher failure rate, but I should've gotten into the habit of using it at this point with all my Intelligence bonuses.
I think Detect Monsters should be renamed to Detect Visible Monsters so that its limitation is more obvious.
Old November 16, 2018, 17:49   #30
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiologist View Post

That makes sense, because although I wouldn't get a lot more HP that way, just 25 extra HP (at level 30, raising Con from 10 to 16 grants 25.5 HP) are worth something when my HP are this low.

I assumed that +1 stealth was too small a bonus to matter, but I don't actually know the scale for stealth. Is there a good place to look in the code to learn about the stealth mechanics?
I don't know the stealth mechanic exactly either but afaik, every point does give a pretty nice boost this early.

Also, at very high danger levels, neurotic approach is crucial. Not as crucial as compared to just leaving the level for good. Tselakus at DL 40 is close to omen of death -message. Awake Tselakus is beyond omen
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote