Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 16, 2018, 18:05   #31
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Stealth increases as the cube root of 2, so every 3 stealth doubles your stealthiness. +1 doesn't matter much.

The issue about CON is that one point of STR goes ablong way towards CON when it is the difference between 16 and 17, or 17 and 18. That doesn't matter much in the early game. But later on, it can make a huge difference.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 18:14   #32
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Stealth increases as the cube root of 2, so every 3 stealth doubles your stealthiness. +1 doesn't matter much.
This is the kind of response that is exceptionally informative. Very much thanks for this just for my part.

I still do not know how stealth numbers ACTUALLY work. Namely the chances of you waking up a monster, being HOW close to a monster having HOW MUCH STEALTH. To be frank, I don't really need to know this. Some math is just good to be hidden in roguelikes
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 21:41   #33
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Stealth is tricky to nail down in part because it varies by monster. Some monsters are easy to wake up (zephyr hounds are always awake), some, like dragons, sleep deeply. But in general the amount you disturb enemies scales with your distance to them, your speed, and of course your stealth score.

The feeling I get is that an Excellent stealth score is decent, but not enough to rely on. Superb means that things will rarely wake up before you're ready to deal with them.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 22:21   #34
Pete Mack
Prophet

Heroic means things rarely wake up before you leave the area. And legendary stealth means you can waltz through a room containing Huan and Carcharoth and the Tarrasque--monsters that wake very easily--without any worries.
Old November 16, 2018, 22:39   #35
Voovus
Apprentice

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The feeling I get is that an Excellent stealth score is decent, but not enough to rely on. Superb means that things will rarely wake up before you're ready to deal with them.
Would it make sense to rename the stealth scores so that they actually reflect this? What is at the moment "Excellent" ought to be "Fair", then "Superb" ought to be "Good", and so on.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 22:43   #36
Pete Mack
Prophet

Excellent stealth is still more than enough for demons and dragons. If you make that change, then poor and bad stealth will cover too much territory.
Old November 16, 2018, 23:21   #37
Voovus
Apprentice

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Excellent stealth is still more than enough for demons and dragons. If you make that change, then poor and bad stealth will cover too much territory.

If I understand correctly, the current descriptions for stealth are

<2 bad
2 poor
3-4 fair
5 good
6 very good
7 excellent
8-9 superb
10-14? heroic
15?+ legendary

The lower end seems unnecessarily fine and the name doesn't really correspond to the effect, while the upper end is fairly coarse. Simplest suggestion: change the name for every 2 points of stealth instead (2-3 poor, 4-5 fair, 6-7 good, 8-9 very good...).
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 14:31   #38
Kodiologist
Rookie

Kodiologist is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the oddest thing is that stealth is given on the character sheet as an adjective while everything else gets a number.
Kodiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 14:57   #39
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiologist View Post
I assumed that +1 stealth was too small a bonus to matter, but I don't actually know the scale for stealth. Is there a good place to look in the code to learn about the stealth mechanics?
monster-move.c

Good luck though, there's actually 6 factors if you include monster & player speed. The other 4 are:

distance
hearing
sleepiness
stealth (duh!)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 15:21   #40
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
I dont use stealth. Ever.

My reasoning is that stealth comes from equipment; the majority of time it's me picking between a Item Of Stealth or Otheritem Of Somethingbetter.
This choice most often happens early on when im building my character and every scrap of XP and every +1 damage is useful; FA always takes the hand slot, ESP always takes the head slot, Speed always takes the feet slot, and Cloaks always get picked on the STR, DEX, CON or useful resist bonus.

It's very rarely that i have a viable choice between two items, and ever rarer that i can give preference to stealth.

Once i keep pl ... ok i should say, CL20->30 is harder without stealth. I have less resources to control my fights.
But once i do start playing with "you must kill everything because stealth isnt an option", and i favour combat stats, the extra trickle of XP does add up, and i wind up being a little stronger than a character than otherwise preferred stealth.

It's a tradeoff. And stealth will eventually just happen, like FA it tends to just be on a ton of artifacts, and all my CL50s are Excellent or higher, without even reading which item does or doesnt have +stealth.