AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 29, 2018, 21:01   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Speed absolutely maxes out. For a melee character, anything over 30 hasted (base 20) is better off being exchanged for damage and armor. (Note that base speed is adjusted for encumbrance, so you may need a little more in bonuses.) For ranged attacks, any more than base speed 28 isn't really useful. Trouble is, most ranged attack characters need CON instead.
I wonder if it would be useful to actually make speed hard cap at +30 and keep each point as a linear effect (so +30 = 4x normal speed). Is the soft cap making a meaningful difference in peoples' gameplay decisions?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2018, 23:54   #12
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I wonder if it would be useful to actually make speed hard cap at +30 and keep each point as a linear effect (so +30 = 4x normal speed). Is the soft cap making a meaningful difference in peoples' gameplay decisions?
I'm not sure if you are suggesting that speed above +30 is displayed but has no game effect, or if the display would cap at +30. I definitely think it is useful to know how many +'s you have so you can more easily know the impact of swapping in/out an item.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 00:22   #13
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I think the speed works well as is. Now that there is an option to view speed as a multiplier, and when viewing a monster you can get speed comparison data, I think the diminishing speed returns become much more readily apparent to newbies.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 00:57   #14
AndyS
Rookie

AndyS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
1)
5) Some people on here will downplay the importance of AC. It is true it won't save you against a horrible breath attack, but given how much melee you will be doing, the importance of AC cannot be overstated. I like to have my AC above 175 in the late game. Of course damage is the most important, so generally it's not a good idea to sacrifice a lot of damage for a big increase in AC, but if you already have good speed, you'd probably sacrifce a little speed for AC. So, for instance, if you had the choice between body armor: Thalkettoth and Isildur and your base speed was +20 you would choose Isildur. If your base speed was +10 you might choose Thalkettoth, but I probably would still go with Isildur.

This point has been especially helpful for me. For some reason (Im sure it made sense at the time) I had Isildur parked at my house and was wearing armour of the rohirrim. I got in a fight with Feagath(?) and he was meteing out some heavy damage. I forgot to wield Calris for some extra HP and didnt want to waste a turn. If I had *healing* potions I would have beaten him (his summons alone were formidable and tunneling no help against them) but I didnt and it was time to run. Anyway I learned two things: that amount of disparity in AC definitely makes a difference. And more importantly, Im nowhere near ready to fight morgoth.

Sorry if Im making this thread a play by play, I promise I wont anymore, just wanted to say thanks.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 01:27   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
I'm not sure if you are suggesting that speed above +30 is displayed but has no game effect, or if the display would cap at +30. I definitely think it is useful to know how many +'s you have so you can more easily know the impact of swapping in/out an item.
I'm suggesting something broadly similar to 18/*** stats: above some threshold extra speed has no effect beyond granting de facto resistance to being slowed. I don't much care exactly how it's displayed, though I grant that's an issue that would need to be resolved.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 05:35   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Calris is a weak endgame weapon. As such, you want to use it with a ring of damage. Feagwath doesn't have a whole lot of HP. He should go down pretty quickly if you optimize for damage. Vecna is another story: he is arguably tougher than Sauron; I would suggest avoiding him unless you have something ridiculous like a Mace of Disruption +2 attacks.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 08:02   #17
AndyS
Rookie

I parked Calris, the CON was nice but i think I have enough without it now and I found the aggravation penalty annoying. I dont have the game open right now but Im using a katana that does more damage. Except to dragons, Calris really does a number on them. Im hoping for something better though for the end should i make it. Ive killed a quite a few uniques since I encountered Feagwath that I think were stronger, I think hed be pretty easy now with some consumables and maybe some luck. Like not summoning black reavers.

I dont think Ive ever had or seen a weapon of disruption, something to look out for forsure, thanks. Im at DL 96 now but I dont think I have the gear/consumables/knowhow for the two big guys yet. Like for instance I havent really used wands as weapons much, i set most of them to ignore when i find them (TO an obvious exception, would likely have died long ago without that), so need to test out annihlation and drain life against something fairly strong to see if they are worth bringing along. Im guessing they wont be much use for the final battles, maybe im wrong. And I need to learn how to use destruction strategically. I think the only time i used it was to learn what the scroll was. I'll either die or win tomorrow

Last edited by AndyS; November 30, 2018 at 08:27.
Old November 30, 2018, 12:37   #18
Adam
Scout

Adam is on a distinguished road
If you melee the big guys, it's good to know that they drain charges from wands and heal themselves with that. Also some other monsters do this (balrogs, liches for example).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 18:03   #19
Narry
Scout

Narry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I think the speed works well as is. Now that there is an option to view speed as a multiplier, and when viewing a monster you can get speed comparison data, I think the diminishing speed returns become much more readily apparent to newbies.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Word. Don't muck it up.
Narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 20:56   #20
AndyS
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If you melee the big guys, it's good to know that they drain charges from wands and heal themselves with that. Also some other monsters do this (balrogs, liches for example).
Oh yeah I forgot about that, thank you. I think they are just taking up space. I melee just about everything with a little archery sometimes. I know good players also drop stuff they need before they fight monsters that can burn or otherwise destroy them. I need to try to remember to do that.

I think I will avoid many uniques now, try and find a suitable weapon, and go after Morgoth. Unfortunately avoiding them may make finding that weapon more difficult. But Im finding some of the uniques are not worth the consumables Id need to beat them. I had to give up on both the tarrasque and Ungoliant making those fights a complete waste. I didnt know better than to make sure I had enough healing on hand, they require quite a bit.

I did find a mace of disruption but unfortunately it does not have extra attacks or slay evil. It sure lays a beating on undead though. I dont think Im understanding rune of protection properly either. Does it only protect you from melee? I was standing on one for the tarrasque but he just used breath attacks. Does it mitigate those? If so then those attacks must be hella deadly without it because they were taking big chunks. If not, then Im overlooking the usefulnes of it, unless maybe to use it like a wall if you want to run away.