Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 30, 2018, 23:22   #21
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Rune of Protection only prevents melee. That said, it doesn't affect AI; enemies will try to attack you in melee just as often when you're on a rune as when you aren't. The Tarrasque uses its breath weapons about 50% of the time, though, and they are heinously powerful. There's a reason why we generally say the Tarrasque isn't worth fighting.

Note that enemies have a chance to break Runes that scales with the enemy's level. Runes rarely last more than a couple of turns against Morgoth. But since you can cast it in advance of the fight, it can still definitely be worth using.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2018, 23:57   #22
AndyS
Scout

AndyS is on a distinguished road
Thank you. Yes after that encounter I concur. Pretty sure I can beat him but at the cost most of my potions that will then take me hours to reaccumulate. Seems like a better idea to fight him after you beat Morgoth, at least for a warrior. On the other hand Im not looking forward to Morgoth summoning him but I think ill take that chance instead and deal with him like everyone else in that fight.

I know it's all relative to to your stats and equipment but some monsters you read about and you dont want anything to do with them at all. Then you finally fight them and you're like seriously? That's it? Those two were very notable exceptions for me.

Edit - I'll add Huan to that list, geez. He nearly wasted me before I even knew what was happening. I think the emperor quylthulg summoned him, Im not sure, it happened very quickly and I wasnt paying close enough attention. Reminds me of something someone said about a sense of complacency . I just thought, oh look, a dog, this should be easy. I dont know what his attack was, I should have checked (i teleported in a panic to land in a more manageable mess) but he took off many hundreds of HP. I was low enough that I dont think healing would have protected me from the same attack and Im sick of wasting *healing*. I must have a resistance open that he exploited (shards I bet, I ddint know they were that dangerous) because im sure his attack did more damage than the terrasque attacks. I'll definitely take a closer look before I go near him again.

Last edited by AndyS; December 1, 2018 at 01:28.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018, 07:50   #23
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Edit - I'll add Huan to that list, geez. He nearly wasted me before I even knew what was happening. I think the emperor quylthulg summoned him, Im not sure, it happened very quickly and I wasnt paying close enough attention.
You can browse previous messages with ^P. This way you can see, what he did to you.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2018, 08:48   #24
AndyS
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
You can browse previous messages with ^P. This way you can see, what he did to you.
Good to know, thanks. He's dead, he wasn't that hard, I just wasnt paying close enough attn. His attacks were giving me nasty or severe cuts so I think thats shards. Seems if you have what you need, get in the right place, and learn the opponent, nobody has been too hard so far. That ws the closest I came to dying. Osse was surprisingly annoying considering his native depth but didnt really threaten me, just made me tp and chase after him a couple of times.

Still a little reluctant to drop to 99 though without a really good weapon or at least maybe a unique ring that will give me more punch. I have a tough time when a few uniques show up together so it's probably good that Im taking a lot of them out now. My turn count would make most players here roll their eyes but Id just like to try to win a game first, then maybe try to do it more efficiently. I could never beat the game at the pace some people do though, I see the numbers and they seem incredible
Old December 1, 2018, 15:46   #25
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
haha, I've died so many times to Huan that if I see him, key word being if, then I get as far away as I can. Same goes for the Terrasque, but I see him less often, so I die from him less often.

Huan is very good at looking like an unassuming interloper; as you said, another dog among the pack, that often I don't see him until I'm given a deep gash or death. And, yes, shard attacks cause deep wounds.
Old December 1, 2018, 18:37   #26
AndyS
Scout

Ive been seeing the terrasque quite a bit, also Vecna but I heeded the advice above so havent actually had him in my sight yet. I carry a mace of disruption just for undead. It gives me close to 700 a round so it might be a good idea to try to take him out if I can tunnel and he's by himself, rather than have Morgoth summon him if I make 99.
Most monsters when I TO them they stay gone long enough for me to nearly clear the dungeon. Not the terrasque though, he's like a boomerang. If he's on my level it has meant a trip home every time. Speaking of deceptive appearances, Im using a tileset and Im glad I checked the esp the first time or I might have thought this is awfully low for a giant salamander.

I just noticed there is a place for this kind of thread and this isnt it. Sorry about that. I think when I first visited the forum I just saw Vanilla and maybe thought AAR was a variant I'm not sure. Ill keep it over there from now on, some good reading in there.

Last edited by AndyS; December 1, 2018 at 21:50.