Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 4, 2018, 19:20   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
What else are you carrying? Do you need it? In particular, if you're playing as a mage, how valuable is that heavy body armor you're wearing?
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018, 19:30   #12
Narry
Scout

Narry is on a distinguished road
Potions of Speed and Potions of Cure (Light/Serious/)Critical Wounds.
Scrolls of Phase Door. (Yes, even as a Mage, so that I have a backup plan if I run out of mana.)
As a mage, spellbooks obviously (but just one of a kind).
Narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018, 19:55   #13
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Food?
As long as you can recall back to town you barely need to carry any food. This especially if you have SDigest item equipped.

Ammo?
One quiver of 15-20 projectiles should be way enough if you wanna have some mana-free ranged attacks that aren't wands. Last time I played mage, wands did more damage than most of my spells. So you probably won't need any ammo at all.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2018, 20:33   #14
Narry
Scout

I would argue for a little bit of food, 'cause I'd hate to interrupt exploring an X-7 or so level just because of hunger.

I agree about ammo. I've done reasonable damage with my spells.
Old December 4, 2018, 20:43   #15
Derakon
Prophet

If you want serious and specific advice, upload a character dump to the ladder so we can see exactly what you're dealing with.
Old December 4, 2018, 21:03   #16
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narry View Post
I would argue for a little bit of food, 'cause I'd hate to interrupt exploring an X-7 or so level just because of hunger.
The trick is: always eat until full when you are in town, before recalling back. Yes, food is a silly minigame...
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2018, 18:09   #17
Narry
Scout

Character dump loaded in the ladder.

So far the story is this:
CL22 atm.
Exploring DLs 12 and 13 atm.
Haven't found a single artifact.
Have found very few ego items.
Been close to death a few times.
I'm getting frustrated as nothing seems to happen and I can barely survive.
I don't have courage to dive deeper 'cause death has been so close several times already.
And to coin a phrase, I only seem to be able to find "naught but cobwebs".

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22139
Old December 5, 2018, 18:48   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Levels 12/13 aren't very deep, so it's no surprise you haven't found any cool loot. You are also way too shallow for your character level; a level-22 mage should be able to go a lot deeper. That suggests that something is wrong with your tactics. Figure out why you're taking damage, and find a way for that to not happen.

For example, instead of casting spells while in melee range, use Phase Door (preferably via scroll to preserve SP). Likewise phase instead of drinking curing potions in melee range, because you'll end up immediately taking more damage on the turn you drank the potion. Instead of waking up the entire horde of orcs all at once, try to pick them off one at a time, and retreat to a safe distance to rest and recover SP. Carry a collection of attack wands/rods to supplement your SP; Rods of Light in particular are useful against most orcs.

From your gear, I would ditch the cloak, shield, and helm; they're excess weight that you can't afford. Also consider getting rid of the Cutlass; are you using melee at all? pStun isn't that important right now.

You are carrying a lot of potions; try trimming that down to 15 Cure Critical Wounds potions. You're carrying both food and Satisfy Hunger scrolls; the latter is lighter so ditch the former. The Rod of Curing is pretty useless; when you have important status ailments to cure, you want to cure them with 100% reliability via CCW, not with a failure chance from the rod.

You're carrying a pretty good sling, but have no ammo; get some pebbles or shots and you'll be doing over 30 damage per hit with the sling at no SP cost. But really at your level I'd expect you to be carrying wands of Frost/Fire Bolt; they'll do better damage than your spells and at no immediate SP cost (you can recharge them when out of battle).
Old December 5, 2018, 19:22   #19
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
CL22 -> DL30 by a VERY conservative estimate. DL13 has only garbage in it.
Old December 5, 2018, 19:31   #20
Narry
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Levels 12/13 aren't very deep, so it's no surprise you haven't found any cool loot. You are also way too shallow for your character level; a level-22 mage should be able to go a lot deeper. That suggests that something is wrong with your tactics. Figure out why you're taking damage, and find a way for that to not happen.
I would go deeper, but I'm already meeting gnome mages and dark elven mages who blind me. Haven't been able to find pBlnd yet. Panthers and tigers are quite dangerous to me... at the moment meeting one goes as follows: I see it, cast attack spell, cast attack spell, it bites me, it bites me, teleport self.

Quote:
For example, instead of casting spells while in melee range, use Phase Door (preferably via scroll to preserve SP). Likewise phase instead of drinking curing potions in melee range, because you'll end up immediately taking more damage on the turn you drank the potion. Instead of waking up the entire horde of orcs all at once, try to pick them off one at a time, and retreat to a safe distance to rest and recover SP. Carry a collection of attack wands/rods to supplement your SP; Rods of Light in particular are useful against most orcs.
Good points, snagas I can take but black orcs are deadly. And yes, I try to fight them one at a time in a corridor, preferably with spells.

Quote:
From your gear, I would ditch the cloak, shield, and helm; they're excess weight that you can't afford. Also consider getting rid of the Cutlass; are you using melee at all? pStun isn't that important right now.
But they improve my AC... I would get even more damage with them, wouldn't I? And the Cutlass... it's one of the few good items I have found. Besides, pStun will be handy soon, as umber hulks begin to appear at DL 15.

Quote:
You are carrying a lot of potions; try trimming that down to 15 Cure Critical Wounds potions. You're carrying both food and Satisfy Hunger scrolls; the latter is lighter so ditch the former. The Rod of Curing is pretty useless; when you have important status ailments to cure, you want to cure them with 100% reliability via CCW, not with a failure chance from the rod.
Thanks. I've been told to use them potions quite liberally, so that's why I try to carry a lot of them. Concerning food... that's how I roll... backups and backups of backups. Murphy's Law...

Quote:
You're carrying a pretty good sling, but have no ammo; get some pebbles or shots and you'll be doing over 30 damage per hit with the sling at no SP cost. But really at your level I'd expect you to be carrying wands of Frost/Fire Bolt; they'll do better damage than your spells and at no immediate SP cost (you can recharge them when out of battle).
Again very good points, thank you. Double-edged sword though. Ammo is yet another way to increase burden and my STR is only 13...