Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 16, 2018, 23:08   #31
Sideways
Adept

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Food management isn't just about hunger, but also about gorgedness. Characters with weak offense who take a long time to kill the Serpent of Chaos can easily end up spending much of that fight gorged from potions.

Disenchantment isn't going anywhere; I'm all for quality of life but I don't belong to the "bad things should never happen to the player" school. Bad things happening to the player if they make mistakes is a key part of the game!

Bad things can be a bad game mechanic, of course, if they have the potential to ruin a game through no fault of the player's; but that's not the case with things like disenchantment, which can be either resisted or (for much of the game) simply avoided. Some of the chaos patron punishments, on the other hand, cross the line into bad game mechanics, especially for non-chaos-warriors; low-HP classes can potentially be insta-killed from full health by a chaos patron. That will be fixed in the next version.
Old April 17, 2018, 00:54   #32
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Food management isn't just about hunger, but also about gorgedness.
Considering your nerf to vampirism true, consider the difference in utility between vampiric drain and -vampirism.

Or I could, and also not copy the vampirism true nerf (endgame enemies are undead and demons, it doesn't work on them, and the odd dragon which are usually a lesser threat anyhow once you can handle the breath).
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 08:09   #33
Mocht
Swordsman

Mocht is on a distinguished road
I couldn't find the chaotic personality
Is it implemented, or is the character dump Frogcomposband boysenberry rather than Frogcomposband peppermint
Mocht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 08:12   #34
Mocht
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Bad things can be a bad game mechanic, of course, if they have the potential to ruin a game through no fault of the player's; but that's not the case with things like disenchantment, which can be either resisted ...
I have had things disenchanted even though I had resistance
In particular, a nice amulet on my dragon was disenchanted
Old April 17, 2018, 08:31   #35
Mocht
Swordsman

I tested no-selling (only a little)

Selling stuff for gold irritates me and I was happy with the increased drops, I wonder if no-selling characters acquire far more gold than characters who can sell stuff

Also, some classes get experience from destroying high level spellbooks, this would obviously advantage a no-selling charcater
Old April 17, 2018, 09:00   #36
TheQuest
Apprentice

TheQuest is on a distinguished road
Sideways, have you disabled "issues" on your github intentionally? I was thinking to post something there.
Old April 17, 2018, 13:40   #37
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
I have had things disenchanted even though I had resistance
In particular, a nice amulet on my dragon was disenchanted
One level of resistance to anything is never perfect; it actually comes a lot closer with disenchantment than with pretty much anything else, but you still need two pips if you want to be completely safe. (It is true there are a couple of very rare effects that can disenchant you through resistance: one is a possible outcome of "wild magic" [random Trump/Chaos thing], and the other is a possible effect of a particularly nasty chest trap.)

The new personalities are still being tested, but Chaotic ought to be stable, so you can grab the development version from github if you want to try that.

I don't think non-selling characters have a long-term advantage in acquiring gold compared to selling characters, but it's possible they get more money (or at least more reliable money) at the very beginning of the game.
Old April 17, 2018, 13:44   #38
Sideways
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuest View Post
Sideways, have you disabled "issues" on your github intentionally? I was thinking to post something there.
Not sure. In any case, you can post the issue here, or if it also affects Composband you can make it Gwarl's issue

Unfortunately I'm a bit under the weather right now, so I may not be able to address the issue promptly.
Old April 18, 2018, 07:31   #39
ghost0087
Rookie

ghost0087 is on a distinguished road
Tiles set in xtra/graf folder

How do I get them to work? The Adom Bolts tile set. When I try to choose them, I get an error message saying can open file.
ghost0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 10:09   #40
Mocht
Swordsman

Feature request: Random name generator (random race and class generator would also be good)

I always have a terrible time thinking of names

Tags
frogcomposband