AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old July 11, 2010, 18:38   #11
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I'm not sure, but you might have resistance against mind blast. You have 100% spell resistance and Heroic saving throw. In older vanilla Heroic saving throw could mean 100% saving throw which protects against mind blast. Legendary is over 100%. Try to get your WIS a bit higher and see if it makes any difference.
There is no perfect save in S, *and* Mindblasting punches through some of the appropriate resistances. I'm pretty sure heroism doesn't work, and you can be slowed with FA. Confusion and blindness resistance do work, I think.

I'm impressed by the lack of poison resistance. That can be instakill in S.
Old July 11, 2010, 18:44   #12
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post

I'm impressed by the lack of poison resistance. That can be instakill in S.
I was hoping that the poison opposition from the Potion of Resistance would be enough. I know a single poison resistance isn't always enough, as really strong poison attacks can 'overcome your resistance' and cause nasty effects like paralysis, but the damage alone cannot instakill, and that's never happened to me vs Morgoth. Maybe I've just got lucky...

Edit: Just cheated and looked at the edit files; turns out Morgoth doesn't actually have a poison attack, so the greatest risk was a summoned Great Wyrm of Venom/Many Colors breath, but I've survived quite a lot of their breaths with only a single poison resist.

What might have been a bigger threat was an unresisted nether storm, I don't know what the maximum damage is from them, but it was nasty when Cantoras hit me with one, and Morgoth's 'Morgul Magic' could make it have nasty extra effects I don't know about yet.

Last edited by NotMorgoth; July 11, 2010 at 18:57.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2010, 19:25   #13
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMorgoth View Post
Winner!
Congrats - under 1.5M turns is quick for S. Very impressive. Out of interest, did you make much use of actual burglary skills and talents? I mean things like stealing, setting traps and nabbing objects, not perception/dodging etc.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2010, 20:03   #14
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Congrats - under 1.5M turns is quick for S. Very impressive. Out of interest, did you make much use of actual burglary skills and talents? I mean things like stealing, setting traps and nabbing objects, not perception/dodging etc.

This is the first time I've got very far with a burglar, so I was experimenting with the talents as I went along. What I thought of them was this:

Stealing: I did occasionally steal some potentially useful things, but overall it was too risky, as it generally either angered (hasted) the monster or woke up nearby monsters.

Trap Setting: This was at times quite good, especially in the midgame, against things like troll pits. I could put a line of traps in a corridor, then wait around corners, and let the monsters walk over the traps. It's also especially useful against hounds, even into the late game, as it allows you to do significant damage to them, and often kill a few, without them being in LOS.

However, it requires ESP to be really useful, as you need to know where the monsters are, it can be annoying to carry around extra weapons etc to use in traps, and take the time to set them up.

Also, it became less useful later in the game, when the amount of damage was generally insignificant compared to the number of hitpoints monsters had, particularly uniques.

Detect Objects: Didn't use, as I had _Detection.

Nab Objects: Used a lot when my speed was too low to fight many monsters, but cannot nab artifacts, and chests are too heavy.

Hit & Run: quite a useful ability, as there were many monsters I did not want to melee, but benefited from one round of free attacks before phasing away and shooting at them.

Poison ammo: not that useful as it doesn't seem to add that much damage, and many monsters resist poison

Darkness etc: did use this a bit, as the ability to do extra criticals etc in darkness was sometimes nice, but a lot of the time it was too risky because scrolls can't be read in the dark.

I did not find the extra bonuses with light weapons/penalties with heavy weapons useful because there weren't really any good enough light weapons. I found Gurthang fairly early (about DL 50) and it was my main weapon for most of the game.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2010, 21:46   #15
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the thoughts on burglary. I've never played to any great depth with a burglar, so this is useful insight.
Old July 12, 2010, 11:11   #16
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
Thanks for the thoughts on burglary. I've never played to any great depth with a burglar, so this is useful insight.
That is a one part in S that I do remember. It was quite fun to set traps in mid-game just like NotMorgoth said, but I too found them too weak to be useful later. But it definitely is one of the favorite features of S for me (others being that UI, weapon/armor forging and the fact that it feels a lot more "random" than vanilla, some of the monsters you meet you just can't deal with no matter how carefully you plan your trip).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote