Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 24, 2018, 08:02   #1
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
One of those games :)

So, per Derakon's advice, I'm playing a human warrior. So far it's going very well. Had an interesting 9-9 level recently (DL19). There was an animal pit with nothing in it but a ?remove curse. Then, lying on the floor somewhere else, unprotected, was a rod of speed.

And since I'm fascinated with how level feelings are generated, I'd like to conduct a little guessing game: tell me what treasure feeling you think the following items generated for me in my current game:

DL11 Rod of detection
DL12 ?Mass Banishment
DL15 Ribbed Plate Armor [66,+0]
DL29 Rod of TO

(pretty darn good start!)
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018, 04:19   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
With TO and detection, you're well on the way to winning the game. Speed is just gravy.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018, 14:12   #3
Grotug
Knight

This has been the game of 30+ enchantments and extra attacks. Found an X4 bow with (+34); I'd say "too bad I'm not playing a ranger", but I'm doing 928 of acid and elec and 808 to evil and 689 to others with my (+33) Halberd (before buffs). Besides, my heavy X6 xbow (+23) is doing up to 444 per bolt to Sauron. And in case that wasn't enough damage, my helmet activates for ?Holy Prayer and I'm carrying with me !Berserk potions because the healing house isn't stocking enough !CCW (which I have wasted unwisely on foolish fights).

My con is only 790 but It'll probably be up to 900 with stat potions before I meet Sauron. And my weapon swap does a respectable 1400+ a round to undead and demons. I took down Kronos without pConf which was a little foolhardy and I didn't have enough con when taking down Atlas, who nearly killed me. I think he can crush for over 500HP, but in our fight I think he "only" did 400 per round at times.

I don't think I'd be doing as much damage as an HT Warrior since my DEX would not be high enough to reach 8.8 blows. The human warrior combo is pretty good. Been gaining levels very quickly. Maybe I'll remember to take note of how many turns it takes me to kill Sauron and M as it probably won't be too many.

ninja edit: already at 958 hp thanks to 3 !augmentations. Still 9 levels to go. ..and another Augmentation brings con to max last (after wis) and just flew from CL48 to CL50. 1027hp will be more than enough with this sort of dam output (still 9 levels to go, Carcharoth is next!).

Ooohh... DL93, no books in sight (!Enlightened level) and treasure feeling 9. What could it be??? There are no unknown rings. Ahh, found it; the ol' pdsm; not in the greater vault, but in a much smaller non permawall 'vault'.

Well, nice armor and all, but I need the <+3> STR, CON that my current one provides, so this nice piece of kit will probably remain where I found it.

Sometimes hairbrained plans work out incredibly well: I left a dragon slayer on one side of the level (almost 1400 to dragons) since there's only so many weapons a warrior can bother carrying around. On the other side of the level I met the Father of Dragons and sent him away. I then remembered I left the dragon slayer on the other side of the level so I dropped my ?Recalls to make room for it and ventured cross town to see if I could grab the weapon and slay the dragon. As I approach where I figure Glaurung will be I come across a pink Q down a hallway. 'I hope he doesn't teleport me away' I think to myself as I run on by.

Sure enough, I 'see' the dragon coming down a diagonal passageway I made to get into the greater vault and so I stopped to see where I put the weapon. I scan the list of items. Oh, look, it's right there one square in front of me. How convenient. So I fired some bolts at Glaurung (my weakest bolts do serious damage) and then pummeled him into dragon juice. Now.. how to get back to my ?Recalls? I think I'll walk down the passageway with the Nexus Q in it. Thank you kind sir, right back to the small vault where I left my scrolls.

It's not like anything can hurt me anymore, so I wasn't too worried about being teleported to danger. The list of dangerous Uniques is growing thin anyway (Radagast was the only one I let live).

Last edited by Grotug; February 25, 2018 at 16:27.
Old February 25, 2018, 17:52   #4
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
DL11 Rod of detection lf:7
DL12 ?Mass Banishment lf:8
DL15 Ribbed Plate Armor [66,+0] lf:9
DL29 Rod of TO lf:6

(pretty darn good start!)
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old February 25, 2018, 18:28   #5
Grotug
Knight

Thanks for playing Sky.

DL11 LF was 6 for rod of detection
DL12 LF was 6 for ?Mass Banishment
DL15 LF was 7 for average Ribbed Plate armor
DL29 LF was 5 for rod of TO.

I agree, I would have thought all would have been higher (except for maybe the armor; 7 seems about right). That armor sure was handy early on haha.

Well, I won, but it was not a pretty victory. I messed up losing the +3 CON weapon I had that did nearly as good damage as my non-con one I ended up using. I had to sacrifice CON to get my base speed to 20 and ended up fighting Morgoth with 900 health, which is not very good as a warrior. He was summoning and blasting me every turn and I was quickly going through all my !CCW and !*healings. I only had one !healing to start the fight with, but I had 12 !*healing and 3 !Life and had been collecting mushrooms of emergency, which I had 8 of. They have the side benefit of rCold which was nice when Morgoth decided it'd be fun to have Huan join the party.

Seems every randart game I play I get immunity to fire.

I was becoming weary of the losing battle, summon, crush, mana, rinse repeat, so I TO'd Morgoth away and decided to take on Huan while I had the rCold, which was a dumb idea, as he just stripped me even more of my potions. He dropped me garbage loot to boot. Arien was there too but he didn't drop anything either. Morgoth came back and I realized I was gonna have to let my health drop below 600 if I was gonna have enough potions to finish the fight, but very strangely he stopped summoning, except at the very end with one purple * when he summoned one last time, which I ignored and finished him off. He also started doing less damage after I killed Huan. I was already level 50 when I entered the level, so I dunno, I guess he blew his load in the first half of the fight and didn't have much left.
Old February 25, 2018, 20:06   #6
Grotug
Knight

Well, it's been awhile since I got an OOD artifact drop. I misclicked on a trap door (was meaning to drop into it but disabled it) and then I stumbled upon Nar the dwarf who took me to 1 health (I ?phased and dropped to and I was poisoned for almost the entire fight). This was on level 18. He nearly killed me again, but my lightning branded dagger finally had him fleeing. He dropped the Zweihander Aelmarod (5d6) (+10, +11) Branded with acid, slays dragons (powerfully) and provides regeneration and protection from confusion. All last game I didn't have pConf. I'm playing half-orc warrior this time, not so much for the native rDark but for the good stats relative to the low exp cost. I start out with 4 blows per round! Looking for more "hmm!"s from my @ as more is discovered about this fine early find.

Just found a ring of the mouse (0, -5) which brings damage up slightly (especially for the slays). To acid is already over 100 now.

Couple early stat potions (2 STR, 1 DEX) brings me up to 227 vs non-acid-resisters, undead, 354 to dragons, and 100 to others; that's with a ring of dex <+2> and a ring of the mouse <+3>. Not bad for CL29 on DL34. Wand of TO and cap of seeing in the stores also super nice finds. Forgoing the ring of poison in the store, though, since I hate rPois in the ring slot. If it isn't a drolem that will get me, it will be a greater basilisk, though.

And now for another round of 'guess the Level Feeling for the following items' game:

DL24, a Staff of Speed, 7 charges
DL31, Heavy Xbow of Might (X5) (+11, +13).

I'll give a hint, both levels had the same LF.

This run keeps getting better and better: Lokkak dropped a cursed telepathy cap that has rNether but the curse doesn't seem to do anything; it says it makes it hard to hit anything but I'm hitting stuff just fine. He also dropped Caestus with <+2> STR and I just found a <+5> Dex ring to replace the ring of the mouse. A <+3> STR ring replaces the other <+2> Dex ring. Now we are doing a handsome 332 to non rAcid, Undead, Trolls, orcs and 486 to dragons. Talk about rapid gains of power! And I keep picking up ID scrolls, which I'm usually in short supply of. And this level has two vaults; the first one didn't have any improvements in gear. We'll see what the other one holds in store....

Well this is a cool vault. I'm not sure I've seen this one before. It's circular with a *bunch* of money veins in it, and some treasures as well.

Last edited by Grotug; February 26, 2018 at 02:30.
Old February 26, 2018, 03:13   #7
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
hm.. i would guess, lf: 5 ?
Old February 26, 2018, 05:35   #8
Grotug
Knight

correct answer is 4.

How about this beauty lying about on DL38:

Long Bow of Arnuinar <X5> (+8, +14)
Branded with Poison
Provides Immunity to Fire
rLightn, rAcid, rCold, rNexus, rDisench
Sustains CON
Disables traps, unlocks doors and reveals all secret doors in a given direction
Takes 136 to 151 turns to recharge at +14 speed.

This run is really quite something. DL37 saw a 10d4 Scythe of Slicing (which I didn't take) two rings of speed <+6>, <+7> and an amulet of acid immunity with <+2> speed. On DL37 I took from a chest artifact boots <+6> <+3> boots (speed, stealth). So, yeah.. it's my game to throw away.

Or on DL39 book of Holy Infusions?

I finally read the ?DD I've been holding onto and on DL54 Smaug drops a Cutlass 8d8 (+15, +15) that does 1300 to dragons and undead and a pair of <+11> speed, <+5> Stealth, <+1> STR sandals.

Last edited by Grotug; February 26, 2018 at 12:40.
Old March 3, 2018, 20:07   #9
Grotug
Knight

Well, this has been an interesting game. No TO. I'm now on DL52, have raided several small vaults. Had to lure out an ethereal dragon at one point with activated boots of speed and ring of escaping for +14 temporary speed. It's very rare I gain power without TO. I have found some good artifacts despite not being able to TO dangerous things away. I'm doing 645 to demons and undead and 365 to evil among other slays.

At one point I was bopping all over a map with a hydra pit on it. I tried to lure a Death drake out of a small vault but I kept running into the Hydras so I ended up running around stone to mudding into the cubbies (it was a vault with 8 or 10 cubbies that you could move around in a smallish room) with the Death Drake right behind me. Fortunately I have been finding good enough artifacts and a helm of telepathy that I am able to somehow survive without TO. It was fun grabbing the boots of elvenkind and the the green dragon armor and hitting the downstairs before anything breathed on me.

In one vault I actually took on a great wyrm of thunder with a previous weapon that did 500 to dragons. I had 404HP and rSound at the time and +18 temporary speed, so....

EDIT: Note to self: Eöl the Elf (DL49, 2400hp, very quick) is much easier than Gorlim the Betrayer of Barahir (DL41, 1600hp, quick). Do not let speed, health or native depth fool you! Phew, he is one nasty piece of work! I have heard tell of how dangerous he is, and always avoid him until I am very powerful, but since I had just wasted Eöl without much trouble, I figured he'd be about on par with him, but, no, he is much more devastating. I wonder who he is on par with... Ar-Pharazon, who has 3X the hitpoints and is DL55?

EDIT: picked up a 'Ring of the Warrior' in a small vault on DL 55 (which is good, since I'm playing a warrior!)

The ring 'Boron' (+1, +2) <+3> <+5> <+1>

<+3> Strength
<+5> Dexterity
<+3> Searching Skill
<+1> Infravision
<+1> Attack Speed

Causes your melee attacks to slay Undead, Giants, Trolls
Provides rAcid, rLight, rDark, rSound, rShards, rNether, rDisenchantment

Speeds Regeneration
FrAct, SI

Fires electricity balls in all directions, each one dealing 150 damage. Takes about 300 turns to recharge at +8 speed.

Aaand I'm doing 574 to others on DL55. Guess it's time to read a ?DD or two.

EDIT: And I died to a room full of drujes. how dumb. All I needed to do was walk around the other way or strategically drill a hole in the granite.

Now I am trying to get a dwarven priest to survive beyond DL2, but I keep dying to soldiers.

EDIT:

What a strange game. For my Dwarf Priest I put all my stats on WIS except for 8 STR, but priest books so far don't have any damage spells save one, which is only good against evil. So I found a light xbow of accuracy (+15, +14) and am using a ring of accuracy (+16, 0) instead of a ring of damage (0, +9) because what's the point of bringing my melee from 19 to 28 when I do 53 with average bolts.

But I can't remember orange army ants ever being an issue in any game. I nearly just died from a pack of them and I was in a hallway. Very, very strange. 82 AC so I'm not sure why army ants are killing me? I guess because I normally would be meleeing them with one blow, and for the first time they survive my pitiful melee attacks.

I did quaff a pot of STR and am wearing a STR <+2> ring, but this brings me up to a whopping 1.1 blows per round with a blessed spear. I guess for now I will just try to pick my fights, ie, evil creatures. I did take down a 5 headed hydra, though; that felt good.

I probably should have put more points to DEX at the start, but hopefully I'll be able to make this work. Need to find a decent artifact.

Last edited by Grotug; March 4, 2018 at 15:50.
Old March 5, 2018, 13:00   #10
Grotug
Knight

Well, I don't have the patience for weak classes so it's back to my favorite HT Warrior combo.

Quick question. What do you think the feeling level is for a ring of speed <+12> lying on the floor on DL30? Just curious what you all think. I'm pretty sure every single person who guesses will be wrong. How much does a ring of speed <+12> sell for anyway?

I really think the code for valuation of speed needs to be looked at. Remember the feeling for <+9> <+4> boots on an early DL30 level was? LF6. And this ring here? Go on guess, 7? 8? Should it be 9? What if I told you it was 3? Surely I jest?

I suppose there is a chance the RoS is a ring mimic.