Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old April 29, 2013, 01:09   #31
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Does the strength bonus for Charge work correctly? According to the "combat rolls" window, I'm gtting the same number of sides to my damage rolls as I get without charge. The accuracy bonus from the dexterity bonus does seem to be applied though.

This is just a normal attack, using a long sword.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013, 01:30   #32
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Does the strength bonus for Charge work correctly? According to the "combat rolls" window, I'm gtting the same number of sides to my damage rolls as I get without charge. The accuracy bonus from the dexterity bonus does seem to be applied though.

This is just a normal attack, using a long sword.
Damage sides are only applied if your weapon is heavy enough. You get 1 damage side per point of strength per pound of weapon weight.

If you have 2 strength and charge a monster with a 3lb 2d5 longsword, your effective strength is 5. But you're only wielding a 3lb sword, so you'll still only get 3 bonus damage sides (2d8).

(This changes when you buy momentum, but is otherwise now constant for all weapons.)
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013, 19:02   #33
bron
Swordsman

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
One (extremely minor!) gripe I have is the the descriptions of some of the Abilities are too vague without any (to me) sensible reason for it. Now, I can understand if you don't want to drag out the gory details of exactly how, say, Knock Back works in the short Ability summary text. But I see no real reason for not explaining how, say, Heavy Armor Protection works. I mean, you do it for Hardiness after all.

So here are some abilities whose descriptions I think should be improved, and straw-man proposals for those descriptions:

Heavy Armor Use: Increases your protection by 1dX, where X is the weight of your armor in pounds, divided by 15 (rounded down).
[I should also interject here that the game should make it more clear that the "total weight" number shown on the Equipment screen is actually the total weight of the *armor* (only), not the total weight of the equipment.]

Poison Resistance: Opponents with a Poison Melee attack no longer get an extra die of damage. Does NOT offer additional protection against Poison Breath attacks.

Inner Light: Does not increase your light radius, but does add +1 to the light intensity in all squares within your current light radius.

Song of the Trees: Increases light level by 1 per 5 points of Song.

Song of Staying: Increases your Will by 1 point per 3 points of Song. Increases your protection by 1dX where X is Song / 3
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013, 21:44   #34
andrey
Scout

andrey is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to make an inventory bound only by weight and not by amount of things? I find myself constantly dropping good items, which is a bit annoying. We could add an ability that allows carrying more stuff.
andrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013, 21:44   #35
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Should the Naugrim get some innate fire resistance?

A.
Old April 29, 2013, 22:05   #36
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey View Post
Is it possible to make an inventory bound only by weight and not by amount of things? I find myself constantly dropping good items, which is a bit annoying. We could add an ability that allows carrying more stuff.
Part of the game's balance is around the fact that you can't carry everything, even though there's so much good stuff you'd love to. Same for Brogue.
Old April 29, 2013, 22:18   #37
locus
Adept

locus is on a distinguished road
Things that bother me about Sil:

1. Molds don't get marked on the map when you first encounter them. Every time I run into a violet mold in the dark, pass my will check, retreat, then accidentally run into the same violet mold again and fail my will check, I feel like going back to Crawl with its wonderful exclusion system.

2. Molds don't get a prompt "are you sure you want to move next to this mold and have your constitution drained" so if you are fighting a wolf or something and not being careful and it moves out of your way you can lose a point of constitution.

3. Forging is too random as to whether you'll ever find a second forge. I know you implemented a system that makes forges appear more regularly, but it seems like that only helps if you fully explore levels, which most of the rest of the game discourages you to do. And then enchanted/artifact forges make a huge difference depending on a die roll.

4. As an aesthetic matter, I'd prefer if items the player can ID by appearance such as Orcish Liquor, Miruvor, and most artifacts would just auto-ID, to remove a pointless part of the learning curve.

5. Song of Sharpness is too mandatory. Even non-combat characters need it to cut the Silmaril out of the crown if they don't find a sharpness weapon. And it's a huge investment for a character that might not otherwise even want to bother with Song.

6. The inventory rearranges itself such that I can't learn where my throwing weapons and healing potions are, I have to check every time.
locus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013, 22:47   #38
andrey
Scout

andrey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Part of the game's balance is around the fact that you can't carry everything, even though there's so much good stuff you'd love to. Same for Brogue.
I agree with you, though I am not saying to remove the limit completely. There is still a burden limit. This will also make the Strength attribute more attractive.

If you still feel it is unbalanced, make it an ability that costs XP.
andrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013, 23:02   #39
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey View Post
If you still feel it is unbalanced, make it an ability that costs XP.
This kind of thing is always extremely tricky to balance compared to the current system, because suddenly the cost of carrying X is not "one inventory space and negligible weight", but merely "negligible weight". Let's say that the developers want the player to be able to carry 75% of the consumables that they would ideally have (and to make up the remainder through careful play and spending XP on abilities). Let's further say that they want the player to be able to carry a couple of swap pieces of gear. How many additional potions and herbs should you be allowed to carry by forgoing carrying an 8-pound jerkin? A 3-pound sword? I hope you can see how balancing this is difficult. Especially if the target weight for the consumables that the player "should be allowed to carry" is, say, 10 pounds. Potions and herbs don't weigh much, after all.

NetHack allows you to carry as much as you can handle based on your strength. But NetHack also implicitly assumes that you are making stashes of gear that you'll be returning to later (not to say that you must do this but it's very common); it also simply doesn't make many items available to the player.

The bottom line, though (in this and every other roguelike), is that you shouldn't be allowed to carry everything you want to carry. Items are there to let you be prepared for things, and you shouldn't be allowed to be prepared for everything.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013, 00:33   #40
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Sorry if someone's mentioned this already, but the damned neverending bands of marauding orcs that keep coming up/down the staircases!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote