Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old May 29, 2014, 16:27   #11
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I still think charge would be a good alternate prerequisite for leaping, but would rather leaping not have a prerequisite.

I played a Samurai Jack concept character many times earlier this month, and one of the requirements was that he take 'Leaping' at some point, along with a host of other restrictions/conducts, blah blah. After extensive hours with leaping and repeated deep depth explores... My personal conclusion was that leaping made the evasion tree more expensive, without any real benefit, other than the extremely occasional, ooh I'm not stuck moment.

HOWEVER, if you let leaping work like exchange places, in that I can leap anytime I want once I've moved in a direction... Leaping would be awesome. You know, press ctrl+l to prompt for leap. If you took this a step further -- if you leaped and had charge, and there was a monster directly in front of you, you got a charge attack?? -- Completely badass.
Old May 30, 2014, 00:30   #12
skadefryd
Rookie

skadefryd is on a distinguished road
I've been wanting to run a Kain Highwind (dragoon from Final Fantasy 4) gimmick build for precisely this reason.
skadefryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2014, 15:16   #13
bagori nd
Apprentice

bagori nd is on a distinguished road
fwiw: the solution to my chasms angst turned out to be to edit Leaping onto all quarterstaves as a free ability, which makes them basically mattocks for gaps. (The rationale is that you can use a staff for pole vaulting.)

It's fun to get to jump around, and since the quarterstaff does take up an inventory slot, it's not exactly for free. (In fact, there are probably some cases in which it's not worth the room.) For people who like that there are chasms but don't think Leaping is worth it, I strongly recommend the change!
bagori nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014, 17:00   #14
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagori nd View Post
fwiw: the solution to my chasms angst turned out to be to edit Leaping onto all quarterstaves as a free ability, which makes them basically mattocks for gaps. (The rationale is that you can use a staff for pole vaulting.)

It's fun to get to jump around, and since the quarterstaff does take up an inventory slot, it's not exactly for free. (In fact, there are probably some cases in which it's not worth the room.) For people who like that there are chasms but don't think Leaping is worth it, I strongly recommend the change!
That's a pretty cool idea. Makes sense, and would give me a reason to actually hold on to a quarterstaff every once in a while, as I don't think I've ever found one worth using.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014, 17:03   #15
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajaton View Post
That's a pretty cool idea. Makes sense, and would give me a reason to actually hold on to a quarterstaff every once in a while, as I don't think I've ever found one worth using.
There are already boots of leaping Not sure what this is doing that those don't, other than being more common. Pretty sure you can even forge the latter, although I have no idea what the cost / penalties are.

Edit: Oh, all quarterstaves get it, not just specific ego ones. That seems kinda not-Sil-ish, but it's cute
Old July 21, 2014, 18:31   #16
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
debo ... wtb Sil 1.2 videos on your youtube page.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014, 18:40   #17
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
There are already boots of leaping Not sure what this is doing that those don't, other than being more common. Pretty sure you can even forge the latter, although I have no idea what the cost / penalties are.

Edit: Oh, all quarterstaves get it, not just specific ego ones. That seems kinda not-Sil-ish, but it's cute
I found leaping boots to be pretty rare.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2014, 22:49   #18
Infinitum
Adept

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
So, recently had this really powerful early game character and figured I could use a chasm to skip 150'. Ended up in a room whose only exit was blocked by rubble. No digging implements. No staves of Freedom. Not enough xp to get the song. Game over.

..Is this a bug or a feature? Using chasms as ad-hoc downward shafts is one of few upsides of the current implementation, and being cut off from stairways is.. harsh? Makes using them even less of a good idea than it currently is.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2014, 23:55   #19
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
This can generally happen when stairs collaps, false floors cave in, etc. If you can make noise, you can sometimes convince a monster to show up to unlock a secret door (or to bore into your room), but other times you might just die.

The rubble thing in your case was really unfortunate
Old December 3, 2014, 11:47   #20
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
So, recently had this really powerful early game character and figured I could use a chasm to skip 150'. Ended up in a room whose only exit was blocked by rubble. No digging implements. No staves of Freedom. Not enough xp to get the song. Game over.

..Is this a bug or a feature? Using chasms as ad-hoc downward shafts is one of few upsides of the current implementation, and being cut off from stairways is.. harsh? Makes using them even less of a good idea than it currently is.
That isn't very fun. I'd say it is a bug. I'd thought I'd guaranteed full connectivity at early depths in level generation.
half is offline   Reply With Quote