Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 17, 2015, 05:35   #11
Avenger
Apprentice

Avenger is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I generally buy a stack at the first opportunity. This character's already dead, though.

Thanks for the reply.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2015, 22:44   #12
Avenger
Apprentice

Since the spirit of this thread is more publicly available knowledge about PosChengband, I'll continue posting my questions here. Next up: Reforging.

I've been seeing lots of mentions of it while looking through PosCheng mortems. What is it, what does it do, why is it valuable, are there any risks involved, and how do I do it?
Old December 20, 2015, 00:03   #13
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
Since the spirit of this thread is more publicly available knowledge about PosChengband, I'll continue posting my questions here. Next up: Reforging.

I've been seeing lots of mentions of it while looking through PosCheng mortems. What is it, what does it do, why is it valuable, are there any risks involved, and how do I do it?
According to my old (pcb35) experiences: go to Morivant and check one of the buildings for a reforge service.

Then you take a base plain item (no egos) and an artifact (randart's work too). Then you reforge the artifact onto the item (can be completely different types) to obtain a new artifact with the "power" similar to that of the original artifact. You seem to keep all the properties of the base item and get new properties on top of that.

Power ~ price and can be measured by dropping your item in home (*ID*ing seems to change the price in pcb4, not sure what's the interaction with reforging here). Reforging cost scales with price of the artifact at least. Also the stronger the base item, the more expensive artifact required.

It might be all inaccurate in pcb4 .

Whistles cannot be reforged onto .

Edit: To expand a bit.
Risks are that you might get a bad result.
Benefits are that you might get a great artifact. Especially if a particular type of items does not have many good fixedarts. Cloaks (dragon wings) and lights are a good pick most of the time; apparently lights halve the power of the resulting artifact but are still better than most fixedart lights.
Finally, to try your first reforge, get a plain ring and whatever cheap artifact you can find. Not too cheap though I think it needs to be 10 * power (~price) of the ring for it to work.

Oh. and the most important thing, you need fame. More fame the stronger the artifact you want to reforge.

Last edited by Regalia; December 20, 2015 at 10:33.
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015, 02:09   #14
Avenger
Apprentice

Thanks for the explanation - few more questions:

Does the base item factor into the reforge? Say I reforge an artifact I'm not using onto my =ofSpeed, will I keep the speed boost? Will it be wiped out? Is there a chance either way, and if so, which outcome does it favor?

What is fame? Is it based on XP, Uniques killed, Artifacts found, Quests completed, Dungeons completed? Some combination?
Old December 20, 2015, 06:36   #15
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Yes it keeps the base powers. You can't reforge to an ego: ring of speed, cloak of stealth etc. You can reforge to a non-ego with powers: elven cloak, dragon scale mail etc. Pretty sure the base counts to total powers, so a powerful base gains less extras.

For examples look in screenshots, the other mitze posted a few recently.

Off the top of my head for fame: quests, uniques, dungeon bosses, the arena but I've never actually seen a list.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015, 10:34   #16
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
You can check your fame level at the inn but you're better off checking your reforge power directly at the reforge service.
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015, 14:29   #17
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
If you can read code: https://github.com/poschengband/posc.../src/object3.c copied from this thread: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...hlight=reforge

Last edited by wobbly; December 20, 2015 at 15:17.
wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015, 20:31   #18
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Off the top of my head for fame: quests, uniques, dungeon bosses, the arena but I've never actually seen a list.
Generally, these are ways to increase your fame. In the pre-4.0.0 days, you'd be able to know your fame by a numerical value. But as of 4.0.0, not anymore and we're left with a description of your fate and that's it!!

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015, 22:10   #19
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Generally, these are ways to increase your fame. In the pre-4.0.0 days, you'd be able to know your fame by a numerical value. But as of 4.0.0, not anymore and we're left with a description of your fate and that's it!!
Just go to fighter's hall and look at what your max reforge power, it's really all that matters.
Old December 21, 2015, 05:33   #20
Avenger
Apprentice

Ok, new problem. How do I make the Phoenix stay dead? I've killed it twice so far, and it just pops right back. I thought maybe it'd respawn once, but apparently it does so at least twice. Is it indefinite? If so, how do I take it down?

Edit: Problem solved, though I'm not sure exactly how. I decided to make another attempt to see whether disintegrating the bastard would prevent him from having any ashes to rise from. Can't say if that's what did it, or if he only resurrects twice, or whether there was another variable I'm unaware of, but regardless, he's now dead.

If anyone knows for sure what it takes to kill it, though, that'll be good to know for future characters - not everyone's got disintegration type damage available to them, so as cool as that would be, I'm kind of hoping it's something else.

Last edited by Avenger; December 21, 2015 at 07:50.