AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 18, 2015, 11:15   #101
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso View Post
There is a patch by Jeff for changing angels to Ainur and Maiar in Vanilla. I hope it's still compatible with 4.x
Nick was citing a change that was already done.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015, 11:38   #102
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
[...] magic & melee & launcher dampening/enhancing terrain could really make for more interesting tactics! [...]
As it stands, the player never has to accept a fight on unfavorable terms. You can always fight where you want to by some combination of luring and creating favorable terrain. The existence of terrain such as you describe would not change that, leading to one or more of the following situations:

1.) Terrain that puts the player at a disadvantage becomes meaningless through already standard tactics.

2.) Terrain puts the player at an advantage, but not as much as digging zig-zag tunnels and so forth, so again it is meaningless in fights that actually matter.

3.) Terrain puts the player at an advantage to a greater degree than even zig-zags etc. and it becomes useful (but of course not important since things are easy enough with zig-zags) to lure monsters across levels to favorable terrain.

4.) Terrain of a given type is everywhere on some levels.

Notice that 1 and 4 can combine to make the terrain meaningless -- you just leave the level.

As you can see, only 3 makes an impact on the game and it's a negative impact (players trying to play as carefully/optimally as possible will be obliged to engage in tedious, excessive luring). 4 is also probably bad, since it would further encourage stair scumming.

There are a ton of issues to address before things like terrain make sense in vanilla.

Last edited by mushroom patch; September 18, 2015 at 11:45.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015, 14:45   #103
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
All right, you make some good points. You people need to design me a new trap system. Go nuts.
Ha, okay. Give me some time to think, and I'll make a new thread.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015, 15:12   #104
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Ha, okay. Give me some time to think, and I'll make a new thread.
I've been thinking already, and may beat you to it. Or not.
Old September 18, 2015, 16:17   #105
Rydel
Apprentice

Rydel is on a distinguished road
With the traps being in pointless places, perhaps how traps are generated could be altered to take care of that, placing traps in meaningful places, such as in narrow hallways or in front of doors. This would require the player to decide if they want to deal with the trap, or look for another way around.

Traps could be placed in various patterns to facilitate this, such as a 1x3 line in front of a door so walking diagonally can't bypass it. Perhaps a room could be filled with a maze of traps, so the player can either walk the long way through it or try to disarm/tough out the direct route. These could either be all the same trap (so one weak trap doesn't effectively negate the whole thing) or a mix of traps (allowing the player to pick their poison)

I think the traps should be visible so that the player is actually making an informed decision in these scenarios. This would also remove the need to continually and tediously check for traps.
I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick
Rydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2015, 18:48   #106
caruso
Adept

caruso is on a distinguished road
Some time ago there was a brainstorming regarding trap effects, and at some point we realized that it would be interesting if traps could cause an effect that can be actually beneficial to the player.

Also, I'd like to call attention to the runes in Quickband: They can fire spells at the player character, but like traps, they are invisible at first and need to be disarmed rather than destroyed.
caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2015, 20:01   #107
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso View Post
Some time ago there was a brainstorming regarding trap effects, and at some point we realized that it would be interesting if traps could cause an effect that can be actually beneficial to the player.

Also, I'd like to call attention to the runes in Quickband: They can fire spells at the player character, but like traps, they are invisible at first and need to be disarmed rather than destroyed.
I like some of your suggestions:
  • Invasion teleporter: Teleports (OOD) monsters into the town. You will need to defeat them all to lift the curfew and regain access to the shops.
  • Banishment: Transfers you into a foreign dimension from where you need to fight your way out (weird level design, no WoR...). Guaranteed reward if you survive.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2015, 11:16   #108
jrodman
Apprentice

jrodman is on a distinguished road
I'm personally a big fan of the Crawl style trap experience. At least in old crawl -- I haven't kept up with the modern versions.

Most traps are damage sources. Stepping on a trap results in the trap 'attacking' you. You might get hurt, you might not (the attack may miss). Some traps do a piddly amount of damage, while some are much heftier. In general, a fully healed character stepping on the nastiest (mechanical) traps won't die, but they could do you in when fleeing at low health, or could make life complicated when hit mid-combat. How this plays out for deep-diving players I don't really know.

But that's really not compelling enough, as Derakon points out. So we get:

* Traps can be set off by monsters.
* The player can deliberately drag monsters through traps.
* Disarming the trap provides ammunition of the trap type (more compelling without the town, but some people play ironman.)
* When aware of a trap, you're much more likely to be able to pass through the spot without setting it off.
* Some characters are good at noticing them, and can use them more to their advantage. Some characters aren't as good at noticing them, and should be slightly tankier or whatever to compensate.
jrodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015, 00:26   #109
brbrbr
Adept

brbrbr is on a distinguished road
I am very new to Angband (1 month). So I have an advantage of very fresh view.
Here are the things I'd improve:

1) Windows customization is painful. "Increase tile width, decrease tile height, change font size" - I spent at least 30 minutes fiddling with parameters until it gets comfortable. That is huge barrier for new players. Any chance to automatically adjust font/windows to current screen size/resolution??? Default setup is ugly: very small symbols, hard to see. Or maybe it is just my screen resolution.

2) Full monster memory as a menu option, but not considered as a cheat.
Or give rod of probing earlier.

3) I am still confused what game options are saved by default, and what options I need to manually save to .prf file. Visuals and keymaps are not saved. Maybe save them all by default? It is also confusing to have several .prf files applied in a stack.

4) You will be laughing, but it took me a month to understand what is "to hit". That is _chance to to hit the enemy expressed in percents. Maybe leave percent sign there?

5) There are no difficulty packages. You play very hard or you are a cheater.
Very little in between. Too easy and never get a winner title, or too hard. I would think of
Level Simple: avoid death, full monster memory
Level Medium: death is unavoidable, full monster memory
Level Hard: death is unavoidable, disconnected stairs, no monster memory, monsters learn from their mistakes
Level Veteran: gnome mage in ironman mode, randarts

Or maybe just modify Hit Die according to game level.

6) Show calculations of monsters damage in the "look" screen or simplify calculations so player can do it himself

7) Give meaningful and non-obscured description to rod of probing action.

8) Ideally make game shorter. Maybe 1/4 or 30%. I see some players do skip diving anyway.

9) I LOVE that you've removed shop haggling. There is no incentive, however, to collect gold now. It is very rare when I buy something good on black market. Things are either too expensive or too rare to appear. I would make black market items more interesting and more persistent for player to wish to hunt for moneys as a strategy. For example: artifact shop with very expensive persistent randarts.
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2015, 01:28   #110
yyt16384
Scout

yyt16384 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbr View Post
4) You will be laughing, but it took me a month to understand what is "to hit". That is _chance to to hit the enemy expressed in percents. Maybe leave percent sign there?
It is not the chance to hit the enemy. You have to consider your enemy's AC too. I think we need to document this somewhere (and the whole damage calculation and the XdY notation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbr View Post
5) There are no difficulty packages. You play very hard or you are a cheater.
Very little in between. Too easy and never get a winner title, or too hard. I would think of
Level Simple: avoid death, full monster memory
Level Medium: death is unavoidable, full monster memory
Level Hard: death is unavoidable, disconnected stairs, no monster memory, monsters learn from their mistakes
Level Veteran: gnome mage in ironman mode, randarts

Or maybe just modify Hit Die according to game level.
I think we should not combine difficulty options together. The current options are fine, but we should have more of them. They should also modify the score in some way, but we need to make the score more meaningful before that.
yyt16384 is offline   Reply With Quote