Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 16, 2010, 01:21   #41
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Not really complaining about how food works now, but a couple of ideas.

I think a change that might make food more relevant would be to make poison attacks have a chance to destroy food in the pack. To compensate, humanoids should have a better chance to drop food.

I also think the satisfy hunger spell/scroll could be changed to 'summon food'- with chances at deeper DL's to get the magical foods. Food would appear at the feet of the character, maybe with an auto-prompt to eat now/put in pack. It always seems like a cop-out that satisfy hunger didn't have a chance of causing gorging.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010, 01:55   #42
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
Not really complaining about how food works now, but a couple of ideas.

I think a change that might make food more relevant would be to make poison attacks have a chance to destroy food in the pack. To compensate, humanoids should have a better chance to drop food.

I also think the satisfy hunger spell/scroll could be changed to 'summon food'- with chances at deeper DL's to get the magical foods. Food would appear at the feet of the character, maybe with an auto-prompt to eat now/put in pack. It always seems like a cop-out that satisfy hunger didn't have a chance of causing gorging.
Poison ruining food would affect everyone in the very early game and only the warrior in the middle + late game, who is already the prime victim of food mechanics.

The spell summoning food seems like it just increases keypresses needlessly, increasing tedium. Whats the game effect ? As for gorging, that is about the only drawback of the spell currently - casters cant choose to stay somewhat hungry to be able to drink more healing potions without getting gorged. The warrior can do that, by eating just one ration when hungry.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010, 02:27   #43
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
The spell summoning food seems like it just increases keypresses needlessly, increasing tedium. Whats the game effect ? As for gorging, that is about the only drawback of the spell currently - casters cant choose to stay somewhat hungry to be able to drink more healing potions without getting gorged. The warrior can do that, by eating just one ration when hungry.
"satisfy hunger" used to be "create food". That would be reverting things back to ancient times, but suggestion did seem to indicate creating "better" food-items with greater CL. I find that interesting.

Now to figure out what kind of food-items could we have.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010, 04:41   #44
Lord Fell
Apprentice

Lord Fell is on a distinguished road
I think I read a suggestion that whenever players take out a group of humanoids (orcs, kobolds, novice rogues, trolls, etc) that a chest of consumables be dropped: food, torches and/or oil, and some of the common potions and scrolls.

Thematically, this is appropriate: a tribe of kobolds or an orcish war-party is going to have supplies. In terms of game-mechanics, this helps to ensure that players who are diving don't have to return to town.

Alternatively, any target which is humanoid could have a chance to drop consumables (primarily food). Also, any mushroom(,) or mold(m) could have a chance to drop Slime Molds & Mushrooms.
Lord Fell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010, 12:13   #45
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fell View Post
Also, any mushroom(,) or mold(m) could have a chance to drop Slime Molds & Mushrooms.
Un has precisely this mechanic for mushrooms. It's kind of cool, but I'd be worried (if I played V and thus had a right to worry ) that this would undermine the educational function of , and m.
Old December 20, 2010, 22:49   #46
rdermyer
Apprentice

rdermyer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fell View Post
I think I read a suggestion that whenever players take out a group of humanoids (orcs, kobolds, novice rogues, trolls, etc) that a chest of consumables be dropped: food, torches and/or oil, and some of the common potions and scrolls.

Thematically, this is appropriate: a tribe of kobolds or an orcish war-party is going to have supplies. In terms of game-mechanics, this helps to ensure that players who are diving don't have to return to town.

Alternatively, any target which is humanoid could have a chance to drop consumables (primarily food). Also, any mushroom(,) or mold(m) could have a chance to drop Slime Molds & Mushrooms.
I really like this idea. We did move towards archers dropping arrows, right? This is in the same line of thought.

Although really, what the OP should have done is 'R'ested for some long number of turns - you can enter a number instead of leaving it & and it wakes you up if something happens, including hunger or monsters.
rdermyer is offline   Reply With Quote