AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 21, 2010, 00:47   #161
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
One of my favourites is Gorlim. I don't know whether I just meet him too early, or I keep forgetting how deadly water bolts are, but he's killed several of my characters, and he doesn't seem to get easier with experience.
I too have that same problem. Something in Gorlim makes him look less dangerous than he is, which is why I also almost every game try to kill it too soon. Usually I don't die, but it happens every now and then.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 02:10   #162
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Kavlax, Gorlim, Azriel, ArPharazon, Fundin Bluecloak are all delayed till the endgame. I cant remember any stories surrounding them, its been too long ago, but I have this mental note saying "dont touch" and that must be for a reason.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 02:37   #163
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Kavlax, Gorlim, Azriel, ArPharazon, Fundin Bluecloak are all delayed till the endgame. I cant remember any stories surrounding them, its been too long ago, but I have this mental note saying "dont touch" and that must be for a reason.
+1

All of them show up relatively early, and each have some combination of fast movement, summoning, and hard-hitting spells/breath. I'd agree that this makes them some of the most interesting enemies as well. Most games I find myself spending a good amount of time and/or resources avoiding them and their summons. Makes for a nice change of pace, and sometimes some fun close calls (sometimes some tragic ones as well).

I'd add Lorgan to this mix, though he can be dispatched a bit earlier on usually.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 02:48   #164
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
eek~ gorlim is a killer of me, so is kevlax~ eek.. i dont get kevlax~ a few chars i just raged him... i think i won the first time but ive lost 2 nice chars to him since then... i avoided azriel on the char i saw hm on.. and gorlim is also a killer of me LOL ... i dont know about arpharazon or fundin!

wat about EOL the dark elf!?`! he has slaughtered one of my good chars!?~
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 11:21   #165
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
eek~ gorlim is a killer of me, so is kevlax~ eek.. i dont get kevlax~ a few chars i just raged him... i think i won the first time but ive lost 2 nice chars to him since then... i avoided azriel on the char i saw hm on.. and gorlim is also a killer of me LOL ... i dont know about arpharazon or fundin!

wat about EOL the dark elf!?`! he has slaughtered one of my good chars!?~
Eol and Ar-Pharazon are both JLE additions IIRC, so I don't have as much experience with them, but they could well belong in this category. Kavlax, Gorlim and Azriel are I think the top three in terms of deadliness for their depth. Fundin slightly less so simply because he is quite a lot deeper I think. Cat Lord is also very dangerous but a shade less so than the big three IMO.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 15:32   #166
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I don't think the Cat Lord has ever given me difficulty. As long as you resist his melee attacks (which you should at that depth), he's basically harmless; just a standard melee opponent with a completely pointless summon and lots of hitpoints.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2010, 19:19   #167
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I don't think the Cat Lord has ever given me difficulty. As long as you resist his melee attacks (which you should at that depth), he's basically harmless; just a standard melee opponent with a completely pointless summon and lots of hitpoints.
I think the same. Phoenix and Gabriel are also very dangerous not to mention Tarrasque, but those are late game monsters at which point instant death is more likely and you are better suited to handle "one turn and you are toast" situations. Gorlim usually appears way before that, and do surprisingly high amount of damage in very short time.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011, 22:32   #168
paboperfecto
Scout

paboperfecto is on a distinguished road
I'm with one of the above posters, I've taken a six month break playing other roguelikes but his thread made me want to play Angband again. Guess I'll give the shiny new 3.2 version a try!
paboperfecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011, 22:46   #169
Nile
Scout

Nile is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
+1

All of them show up relatively early, and each have some combination of fast movement, summoning, and hard-hitting spells/breath. I'd agree that this makes them some of the most interesting enemies as well. Most games I find myself spending a good amount of time and/or resources avoiding them and their summons. Makes for a nice change of pace, and sometimes some fun close calls (sometimes some tragic ones as well).

I'd add Lorgan to this mix, though he can be dispatched a bit earlier on usually.
I'd second adding Lorgan to the list. While he himself is not that bad, summoning death nights and mystics can make him a real pain.
Nile is offline   Reply With Quote