Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 19, 2020, 01:14   #1
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
can summoners summon already spawned mobs?

can a summoner such as morgoth or witch-king summon a unique already present on the level?

let's say for example, Morgoth summons Ancalong; i teleport Ancalong away, and then Morgoth casts summon again - can Ancalong spawn again next to him ?

What about mobs recently destructed? is there a cool-down period?

Let's say that Morgoth summons a whole bunch of uniques, can i teleport Morgoth away and *destruct* the other uniques? Will that make it so Morgoth cannot re-summon them?
Old August 19, 2020, 01:20   #2
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
can a summoner such as morgoth or witch-king summon a unique already present on the level?

let's say for example, Morgoth summons Ancalong; i teleport Ancalong away, and then Morgoth casts summon again - can Ancalong spawn again next to him ?

What about mobs recently destructed? is there a cool-down period?

Let's say that Morgoth summons a whole bunch of uniques, can i teleport Morgoth away and *destruct* the other uniques? Will that make it so Morgoth cannot re-summon them?
1. They cannot summon an already spawned unique on the level (except for a special version produced by Fizzix a few years ago in which only monsters extant on a level could be summoned).

2. Destructed uniques are not killed, nor are they any longer extant on the level, therefore they can be resummoned.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2020, 10:04   #3
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
There was a discussion a little while ago about having different kinds of summons, and one of those was to summon other monsters on the level (like a call to arms)
Old August 20, 2020, 05:59   #4
Sky
Veteran

the reason im asking is, i've stopped trying to kill every unique in the list before going to morgoth - it just takes too much time. These days, after im done stat grinding on DL45, i just rush down to DL98, get some nice swag from greater vaults, and then kill S&M. But, their summons can be overpowering.
Obviously if i find a unique that i'm already geared to kill (for example, with rDark and sustains, Ungoliant is quite easy) i will kill it, and yet the list is so extensive, i'll always have to deal with a ton of heavy uniques. In the end, those you do not want are, off the top of my head
Glaurung
Ancalong
Kronos
Vecna
Witch-King
Arien
Osse
the Terrasque
Huan
Carcharoth
Maeglin (another massive summoner)
Feagwath
and the two balrogs. and f* Kamul, because of his habit of casting tele_level on you.
All because of their strong breaths or mana storm, so, what do you do if these are still alive?

One option is to teleport morgoth away and destruct them - but then they can be re-summoned.
Another, viable for priests and paladins, is to Banish Evil; teleport Morgoth, then Banish Evil, then pull Morgoth - his aggro range is HUGE, other uniques do not have such a long aggro range and with some luck they can remain on the edges of the map where they have been banished.

to think that i used to ignore *destruction* scrolls because i thought they were cursed ..
Old August 20, 2020, 06:08   #5
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
If you destruct a region of the dungeon before Morgoth arrives, rhen you will end up with a region with very limited LOS. Then, once Morgoth summons some tough uniques, you can phase door away and TO each one as they come in range. So long as you remain in a destructed reguin, you are very unlikely to have more than one unique in LOS at a time as they approach you. This is usually how I handle uniques thqt Morgoth summons, saving Destruction for when his generic mobs get out of hand.

Also, FYI to people who may he reading this and arent aware: paladins dont have Banish Evil in the more recent versions (Sky places a version from before the recent class changes). Instead, they have Single Combat, which is an alternative way of dealing with Mogoth: he cant summon in single combat.

However, you also cant run away if the combat goes poorly, so you better be very certain you can handle Morgoth before casting Single Combat on him.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2020, 07:25   #6
Sky
Veteran

uh .. i don't consider 4.2 as being canon, but rather, an *experiment*.
4.1.3 is the bible, the holy word, scripture, all that is sacred.