Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 7, 2020, 21:09   #1
drquicksilver
Scout

drquicksilver is on a distinguished road
Minor: 4.2.1 - Creeping coins values are different from real coins

It's really obvious when mithril/adamantine coins are going to turn out to be creeping because they are worth much less than real piles of coins - say, around the 400-500 mark where the real ones are more likely to be 2000 or 4000.

Not sure if that's related to the no-sell boost?

It also seems slightly harsh in that killing the monster is much less lucrative than it perhaps it ought to be?
drquicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2020, 06:07   #2
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
That's correct, yes. Creeping coins are sized to what coin stacks would be in a selling-enabled game. Making the game detect whether selling is on when generating creeping coins monsters would require a huge change (expensive both in coding labor and in the processing load of running the game) for little benefit.

I wouldn't object to increasing the creeping coins value to that of a no-sell coin stack (regardless of whether selling is enabled). It's not like giving the player some extra cash makes that big a difference in the game.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2020, 07:30   #3
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Making the game detect whether selling is on when generating creeping coins monsters would require a huge change (expensive both in coding labor and in the processing load of running the game) for little benefit.
I doubt it. It's just checking an option & multiplying a number.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2020, 17:26   #4
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
This does encourage a no selling playstyle (which I support) since someone playing a no selling game can more easily determine whether it is likely a monster or not and use that in their determination as to whether or not to fight it. Increasing the gold value to match no selling levels would give the people playing with selling the advantage here. So my vote is to leave it as is.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2020, 12:45   #5
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Face View Post
This does encourage a no selling playstyle (which I support) since someone playing a no selling game can more easily determine whether it is likely a monster or not and use that in their determination as to whether or not to fight it. Increasing the gold value to match no selling levels would give the people playing with selling the advantage here. So my vote is to leave it as is.
I think the idea would be to only increase the value if no selling was on, thereby giving no advantage (and really it's not an advantage, its an information leak)

This does seem like a good hole to plug to me, and really just a check of the options at the point of monster creation so simple too
Old August 13, 2020, 01:16   #6
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Face View Post
And I like mages and hate priests so I support removing all priest spells and giving them to mages!
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2020, 02:08   #7
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Actually, I think the main issue here is that adamantite is the most valuable coin type, and creeping adamantite is native to DL37, so it's going to stand out. I've moved some stuff around to (I think) make the calculations more consistent, but I think there's always going to be a problem here.
Old August 15, 2020, 07:42   #8
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
I don't see why the monster has to be upgraded from copper to adamantite or whatever. Why can't it remain copper, just 5x as many?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2020, 07:56   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
I don't see why the monster has to be upgraded from copper to adamantite or whatever. Why can't it remain copper, just 5x as many?
That's what it does, and what the original complaint is about, I think.

The thing is that creeping coins are generated by picking the monster, and then giving it an amount of gold appropriate for the level, in the specified currency. But when random (unmimicked) money is generated, the amount is decided based on the level as before, and then the currency is chosen based on the value. So if you generate creeping copper coins at level 50, they'll get a level-50-sized amount, but in copper instead of in opals or something.
Old August 15, 2020, 09:36   #10
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Actually, I think the main issue here is that adamantite is the most valuable coin type, and creeping adamantite is native to DL37, so it's going to stand out. I've moved some stuff around to (I think) make the calculations more consistent, but I think there's always going to be a problem here.
i dont know why but i can tell 95% that it's a mob and not coins with just a glance. Call it magical intuition, but i can, and always do.