Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2020, 18:07   #11
mrfy
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 242
mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
I can. It takes time to change the weapon while some monster might lurk on you.
Then we should also have it required to manually swap melee weapon with the shooting weapon when you want to fire arrows. And take an extra turn.

There are other mechanisms in the game designed to make it easier to play the game at the expense of reality. Let's not increase the complexity of the code to have an option which almost nobody will turn on.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:11   #12
archolewa
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Age: 32
Posts: 185
archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
Sounds borg to me if everything would be autoswapped.
I mean, at least Angband doesnt explore the dungeon and fight monsters for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
Angband keys are simply archaic.
Doesnt crawl have a separate equip command for every type of equipment? Thats got to at least cancel out Angbands separate-command-for-every-invokable.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:39   #13
invisibletroll
Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 25
invisibletroll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Then we should also have it required to manually swap melee weapon with the shooting weapon when you want to fire arrows. And take an extra turn.

There are other mechanisms in the game designed to make it easier to play the game at the expense of reality. Let's not increase the complexity of the code to have an option which almost nobody will turn on.
No, not quite. Digging and shooting are different things. And making the interface easier (less keypresses) doesn't mean it has to be less realistic.
Although if the game swaps automatically to shovel it will take less turns anyway than to continue with an incapable weapon.
Too many things to remember adds to the fatigue.

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 18:44.
invisibletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:42   #14
invisibletroll
Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 25
invisibletroll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
I mean, at least Angband doesnt explore the dungeon and fight monsters for you...



Doesnt crawl have a separate equip command for every type of equipment? Thats got to at least cancel out Angbands separate-command-for-every-invokable.
The borg is not up to date! Less commands obviously saves fingers.
Crawl uses "a" and "b" slots to swap weapons with ' key.
Invocables are activated with the same command. This would be much better with Angband too.
Actually invocations are God abilities in Crawl and evocations are item abilities.

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 18:56.
invisibletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:49   #15
Sphara
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Finland
Posts: 338
Sphara is on a distinguished road
Throwing is OP in DCSS, so no need to shift to a launcher. People barely use launchers anymore at all. Using them takes away the shield slot and as far as I remember, centaurs were axed so only expert bow race is gone. Maybe halfling race with a big fustibalus sling is still viable.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:54   #16
invisibletroll
Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 25
invisibletroll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Throwing is OP in DCSS, so no need to shift to a launcher. People barely use launchers anymore at all. Using them takes away the shield slot and as far as I remember, centaurs were axed so only expert bow race is gone. Maybe halfling race with a big fustibalus sling is still viable.
DCSS has gone down for years.
Races shouldn't be made unplayable with shitty decisions.
It leads to a situation where few combinations are obvious and the rest are "ironmen".
Balancing issues as always...

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 19:04.
invisibletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 19:02   #17
archolewa
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Age: 32
Posts: 185
archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
The borg is not up to date! Less commands obviously saves fingers.
And yet, you want an extra keypress every time you want to tunnel through the walls. 'Kay.

Also, not quite sure what "The borg is not up to date!" means? Does this mean that it's "modern" and better for the game to automatically explore the dungeon, but not to automatically swap your digger? Seems kind of backwards to me. In Angband at least, swapping diggers requires zero thought, while exploration requires a *lot* of thought. So automating the former makes sense, automating the latter is kind of silly. It makes sense for Crawl's exploration to be automated, because Crawl's exploration game is rather shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
Crawl uses "a" and "b" slots to swap weapons with ' key.
Sure, but that doesn't help when you want to wear a ring, and have to remember that 'p' equips rings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
Invocables are activated with the same command. This would be much better with Angband too.
This one I'm inclined to agree with, though I've got the various invocation commands baked enough into my fingers that it doesn't bother me anymore.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 19:10   #18
invisibletroll
Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 25
invisibletroll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
And yet, you want an extra keypress every time you want to tunnel through the walls. 'Kay.

Also, not quite sure what "The borg is not up to date!" means? Does this mean that it's "modern" and better for the game to automatically explore the dungeon, but not to automatically swap your digger? Seems kind of backwards to me. In Angband at least, swapping diggers requires zero thought, while exploration requires a *lot* of thought. So automating the former makes sense, automating the latter is kind of silly. It makes sense for Crawl's exploration to be automated, because Crawl's exploration game is rather shallow, so it makes sense to automate.


Sure, but that doesn't help when you want to wear a ring, and have to remember that 'p' equips rings...


This one I'm inclined to agree with, though I've got the various invocation commands baked enough into my fingers that it doesn't bother me anymore.
No extra keypresses for tunneling. Ditch the tunneling command for good!
I'm not justificating the borg thing. It just hasn't been updated since 3.4.1.
invisibletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 19:14   #19
archolewa
Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Midwest
Age: 32
Posts: 185
archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
I'm not justificating the borg thing. It just hasn't been updated since 3.4.1.
I think I massively misunderstood you. I thought "borg" was some term for when a roguelike automates too much (i.e. you're not playing the game, the game is playing itself). Apparently, you were just talking about a program that someone wrote to play Angband automatically.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 19:15   #20
invisibletroll
Scout
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 25
invisibletroll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
I think I massively misunderstood you. I thought "borg" was some term for when a roguelike automates too much (i.e. you're not playing the game, the game is playing itself). Apparently, you were just talking about a program that someone wrote to play Angband automatically.
No shit, Sherlock! It means both things anyway.
Rogue was borged too. Ages ago. https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/...rogomatic.html

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 19:22.
invisibletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug: "n" not counted as a non-"ESC" key chikinn Vanilla 3 November 8, 2014 22:34
Sil 1.2.1 bug - viewport shakes when moving with "center map continuously" option tungtn Sil 0 January 21, 2014 08:41
Bug with "Turn" in the "Player History" dump bron Vanilla 3 January 17, 2014 16:35
Bug: "Find Traps, Doors & Stairs" doesn't work on chests Raggy Vanilla 26 June 29, 2011 13:28
"Great" drops replaced by "good" drops in vaults: bug or feature? PowerWyrm Vanilla 14 February 27, 2010 15:54


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.