AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 23, 2020, 18:07   #11
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibletroll View Post
I can. It takes time to change the weapon while some monster might lurk on you.
Then we should also have it required to manually swap melee weapon with the shooting weapon when you want to fire arrows. And take an extra turn.

There are other mechanisms in the game designed to make it easier to play the game at the expense of reality. Let's not increase the complexity of the code to have an option which almost nobody will turn on.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:11   #12
archolewa
Adept

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds borg to me if everything would be autoswapped.
I mean, at least Angband doesnt explore the dungeon and fight monsters for you...

Quote:
Angband keys are simply archaic.
Doesnt crawl have a separate equip command for every type of equipment? Thats got to at least cancel out Angbands separate-command-for-every-invokable.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:39   #13
invisibletroll
Scout

invisibletroll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Then we should also have it required to manually swap melee weapon with the shooting weapon when you want to fire arrows. And take an extra turn.

There are other mechanisms in the game designed to make it easier to play the game at the expense of reality. Let's not increase the complexity of the code to have an option which almost nobody will turn on.
No, not quite. Digging and shooting are different things. And making the interface easier (less keypresses) doesn't mean it has to be less realistic.
Although if the game swaps automatically to shovel it will take less turns anyway than to continue with an incapable weapon.
Too many things to remember adds to the fatigue.

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 18:44.
invisibletroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:42   #14
invisibletroll
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
I mean, at least Angband doesnt explore the dungeon and fight monsters for you...

Doesnt crawl have a separate equip command for every type of equipment? Thats got to at least cancel out Angbands separate-command-for-every-invokable.
The borg is not up to date! Less commands obviously saves fingers.
Crawl uses "a" and "b" slots to swap weapons with ' key.
Invocables are activated with the same command. This would be much better with Angband too.
Actually invocations are God abilities in Crawl and evocations are item abilities.

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 18:56.
Old August 23, 2020, 18:49   #15
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Throwing is OP in DCSS, so no need to shift to a launcher. People barely use launchers anymore at all. Using them takes away the shield slot and as far as I remember, centaurs were axed so only expert bow race is gone. Maybe halfling race with a big fustibalus sling is still viable.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2020, 18:54   #16
invisibletroll
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Throwing is OP in DCSS, so no need to shift to a launcher. People barely use launchers anymore at all. Using them takes away the shield slot and as far as I remember, centaurs were axed so only expert bow race is gone. Maybe halfling race with a big fustibalus sling is still viable.
DCSS has gone down for years.
Races shouldn't be made unplayable with shitty decisions.
It leads to a situation where few combinations are obvious and the rest are "ironmen".
Balancing issues as always...

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 19:04.
Old August 23, 2020, 19:02   #17
archolewa
Adept

Quote:
The borg is not up to date! Less commands obviously saves fingers.
And yet, you want an extra keypress every time you want to tunnel through the walls. 'Kay.

Also, not quite sure what "The borg is not up to date!" means? Does this mean that it's "modern" and better for the game to automatically explore the dungeon, but not to automatically swap your digger? Seems kind of backwards to me. In Angband at least, swapping diggers requires zero thought, while exploration requires a *lot* of thought. So automating the former makes sense, automating the latter is kind of silly. It makes sense for Crawl's exploration to be automated, because Crawl's exploration game is rather shallow.

Quote:
Crawl uses "a" and "b" slots to swap weapons with ' key.
Sure, but that doesn't help when you want to wear a ring, and have to remember that 'p' equips rings...

Quote:
Invocables are activated with the same command. This would be much better with Angband too.
This one I'm inclined to agree with, though I've got the various invocation commands baked enough into my fingers that it doesn't bother me anymore.
Old August 23, 2020, 19:10   #18
invisibletroll
Scout

Quote:
And yet, you want an extra keypress every time you want to tunnel through the walls. 'Kay.

Also, not quite sure what "The borg is not up to date!" means? Does this mean that it's "modern" and better for the game to automatically explore the dungeon, but not to automatically swap your digger? Seems kind of backwards to me. In Angband at least, swapping diggers requires zero thought, while exploration requires a *lot* of thought. So automating the former makes sense, automating the latter is kind of silly. It makes sense for Crawl's exploration to be automated, because Crawl's exploration game is rather shallow, so it makes sense to automate.

Sure, but that doesn't help when you want to wear a ring, and have to remember that 'p' equips rings...

This one I'm inclined to agree with, though I've got the various invocation commands baked enough into my fingers that it doesn't bother me anymore.
No extra keypresses for tunneling. Ditch the tunneling command for good!
I'm not justificating the borg thing. It just hasn't been updated since 3.4.1.
Old August 23, 2020, 19:14   #19
archolewa
Adept

Quote:
I'm not justificating the borg thing. It just hasn't been updated since 3.4.1.
I think I massively misunderstood you. I thought "borg" was some term for when a roguelike automates too much (i.e. you're not playing the game, the game is playing itself). Apparently, you were just talking about a program that someone wrote to play Angband automatically.
Old August 23, 2020, 19:15   #20
invisibletroll
Scout

Quote:
I think I massively misunderstood you. I thought "borg" was some term for when a roguelike automates too much (i.e. you're not playing the game, the game is playing itself). Apparently, you were just talking about a program that someone wrote to play Angband automatically.
No shit, Sherlock! It means both things anyway.
Rogue was borged too. Ages ago. https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/...rogomatic.html

Last edited by invisibletroll; August 23, 2020 at 19:22.