AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 31, 2020, 05:09   #1
Angdrim
Rookie

Angdrim is on a distinguished road
Returning to the dungeon

Hello All,

I'm new here, but not new to Angband. I started playing in the mid/late 90s. The version I was playing was probably something around 2.7, although I don't actually remember the number. After playing on-and-off for about ten years, in 2005 or so I finally had a winning character (still playing the old version from the 90s). After that I stopped playing Angband.

Fifteen years later the coronavirus hit, and I was bored at home, and Angband used to be my favorite computer game, so I downloaded the new version. I've been playing 4.2.0 for several months, and already have a pair of winning characters, including an ironman win. (Human paladin and elf rogue, respectively.)

It's still basically the same game that I remember, but there have been some pretty shocking changes. My first reaction is that it feels like Angband on amphetamines. Everything comes at you more quickly. You can dive faster and get better stuff earlier and more frequently. No more spending the first day or so of a new @ throwing iron spikes at white worm masses.

The net effect of the differences between 2.?.? and 4.2.0 is to make the game MUCH easier.

I'm curious to see how accurate my recollections of the old game are, so I tried to download 2.7.4, but it won't run on my computer. Probably because it was written for Windows 95 (or whatever). Does anybody know how to get a copy of an old version that will run on Windows 10?

Thanks in advance. I'm glad to be back.
Angdrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2020, 06:56   #2
Selkie
Rookie

Selkie is on a distinguished road
I'd forgotten about iron spikes. I seem to remember jamming doors shut with them for some reason.
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2020, 08:30   #3
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Angband.live has version 2.9.3 playable online, if that is old enough for your test.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2020, 17:03   #4
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Welcome back to Angband!

There's a lot of old Angband versions, including old Windows releases, on rephial; you can check which of them still work on Windows 10. (For really old versions like 2.7.8 you can try downloading the DOS version and running it through DOSBox.)

The big easification started at 3.0.0, so anything before that should be fairly difficult; some 2.x versions might be easier than others, but all are devilishly hard compared to 3.x and 4.x.
Old August 31, 2020, 17:41   #5
Angdrim
Rookie

Angdrim is on a distinguished road
Thanks! I'll try out angband.live, although the version that I was playing was certainly older than that. There were still ghosts of old characters, and they seem to have been taken out prior to 2.9.3.

A few questions:

Is walking on lava immediately deadly? Lava didn't exist last time I played Angband. I found a vault with a pool of lava and some items on an island in the middle of it. You can't phase door in a vault (and hope to land on the island); being scared of walking on lava the only thing I could think to do was to cause some earthquakes and hope that the items don't get squished. (And unfortunately I didn't have anything to cause earthquakes.)

Why is there lava in town? I mean, if you can go DOWN to get to Angband, the town must be perched on the top of Thangorodrim, which was volcanic, so maybe that's the reason?

Does Calris still exist? I haven't found in on any of my trips through the dungeon. Sure, it aggravated monsters, but I loved that beast of a sword.
Angdrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2020, 17:59   #6
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angdrim View Post
Is walking on lava immediately deadly?
Walking into lava causes a fair bit of damage and can kill an early-game character outright, but a mid-game or late-game character should have enough HP to survive, and fire resistance helps.

Quote:
Does Calris still exist? I haven't found in on any of my trips through the dungeon. Sure, it aggravated monsters, but I loved that beast of a sword.
Calris still exists, and still aggravates monsters, though like most old artifacts it has been modified somewhat since 2.x.
Old August 31, 2020, 19:32   #7
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Walking into lava causes a fair bit of damage and can kill an early-game character outright, but a mid-game or late-game character should have enough HP to survive, and fire resistance helps.
And fire immunity makes you suffer no damage in lava. Be aware that big fire breathers can cause tiles turn into lava.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2020, 22:07   #8
Bill Peterson
Adept

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Quote:
Hello All,

Does anybody know how to get a copy of an old version that will run on Windows 10?

Thanks in advance. I'm glad to be back.
OmnibandTk is Angband 2.9.3 and runs on Windows 10. If you want gameplay to be the same as Vanilla 2.9.3 you do have to set certain options.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2020, 06:37   #9
Selkie
Rookie

Selkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Funnily enough I found Calris yesterday but it was useless for my gnome mage despite +5 Constitution. Provides resistance to disenchantment which is rarer than most resistances, but it is cursed and makes it hard to hit anything. I'm using the pike Tiliarc instead which has +3 strength and intelligence and +2 speed.

Last edited by Selkie; September 1, 2020 at 08:44.
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2020, 11:04   #10
invisibletroll
Scout

invisibletroll is on a distinguished road
Angband and Nethack were difficult or impossible to play for many Amiga users because of the system requirements. Many people just don't realize that kind of things. They think everyone had the money back in the days.
invisibletroll is offline   Reply With Quote