Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 22, 2009, 16:42   #1
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Drats! Bad Unique Drops!

I killed Smeagol at dlvl 23 and I only got a single drop of gold! Typically, I get the Phial or something actually decent from him, and usually find him by dlvl 5.

Oh well, that what I get for finding BoS +10 and a 7d8 lance randart by dlvl 20!

Which got me thinking, what were the worst drops you have ever had from uniques?
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2009, 17:57   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
There've been plenty of low-level uniques where all I get is the satisfaction of killing them. And then there's plenty of high-level uniques where I just destroy their loot without even identifying it. As far as most disappointing loot in general, I'm pretty sure I once found a Longsword of Slaying (4d5)...
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2009, 22:45   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
Which got me thinking, what were the worst drops you have ever had from uniques?
I've lost count of the number of times Wormy dropped nothing. (After the Phial's rarity went up and before this behaviour was fixed to give you an ego item if an attempt to generate a special artifact fails.)
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2009, 23:59   #4
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
A better question might be, when was the last time you got a good drop from a unique.

The dungeon floor lately has been far kinder to me than unique baddies.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009, 00:03   #5
cofresi
Apprentice

cofresi is on a distinguished road
I made it a point to kill the Tarrasque, and all I got for my troubles was a Blessed Executioner's sword. Ancalagon dropped a HA and other junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
A better question might be, when was the last time you got a good drop from a unique.
I nearly cried when Lungorthin dropped Vilya for me (It was the first elven ring I ever found)!

He is: the most Interesting @ in the world.
cofresi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009, 00:11   #6
Nightmarjoo
Adept

Nightmarjoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nightmarjoo Send a message via MSN to Nightmarjoo
Smeagol dropped: The Halberd 'Ilith', 9d5, (+14, +18), +4 str, slay_evil, kill_demon, sust_wis, see_invis in my winning mage game. He's dropped nothing but gold ever since.

My second winner! http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9369 Cailet, the Hobbit Mage!

Damned be those who use High Elves, for they are the race of the weak!
Nightmarjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009, 11:25   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofresi View Post
I made it a point to kill the Tarrasque, and all I got for my troubles was a Blessed Executioner's sword. Ancalagon dropped a HA and other junk.
This is grist to Timo's mill. Both those weapons should be breathtaking finds. The fact that they were junk for you is evidence that something is broken, but I don't have a solution for kills that near the endgame (presumably you were down around 4500' or deeper when you killed it).
Old December 23, 2009, 13:28   #8
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
This is grist to Timo's mill. Both those weapons should be breathtaking finds. The fact that they were junk for you is evidence that something is broken, but I don't have a solution for kills that near the endgame (presumably you were down around 4500' or deeper when you killed it).
I agree with the original comment. Once I get to near end-game, almost nothing could make me excited about any drops. At that point, you probably have every artifact you need, minus the elven rings, probably power dragon scale mail, etc. Randarts make me more interested because now I'm not waiting for Ringil, Cubragol to drop, etc...

I would bet that after dlvl 50, most characters are equipped with an artifact weapon that cannot be beat by an ego find. And by that point, the only ego armors anyone may wear would be elvenkind, BoS, and maybe gloves of thievery with a high dex bonus. And probably by dlvl 75, 90%+ slots are all artifacts. At that point, I know the only thing that kept me going was finding Ringil, Cubragol, PDSM, branded seeker bolts and killing all the uniques. All ego drops were basically worthless, as commented.
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2009, 14:52   #9
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Is the dungeon just too deep, or is it possible that DL50 occurs too early? Though I don't often make it past 50, it seems to me that levels 50 to 95 or so are just basically replays of the same level over and over again, essentially scumming 45 levels until you read DL98 at which point you scum some more (for consumables???). Of course you are going to have exceptional gear (more often with auto scum on) by time you reach the bottom (if you were to scum DL1 50 times, you would find some nice stuff by the time you were done). The easy solution is to make the really powerful stuff, the no-brainers, even more rare. Egos are useful when artifacts can't be found.

As an afterthought, make scrolls of Deep Decent a common find beyond a certain depth. Get the player to the bottom faster.
Old December 23, 2009, 15:34   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Is the dungeon just too deep, or is it possible that DL50 occurs too early? Though I don't often make it past 50, it seems to me that levels 50 to 95 or so are just basically replays of the same level over and over again, essentially scumming 45 levels until you read DL98 at which point you scum some more (for consumables???). Of course you are going to have exceptional gear (more often with auto scum on) by time you reach the bottom (if you were to scum DL1 50 times, you would find some nice stuff by the time you were done). The easy solution is to make the really powerful stuff, the no-brainers, even more rare. Egos are useful when artifacts can't be found.

As an afterthought, make scrolls of Deep Decent a common find beyond a certain depth. Get the player to the bottom faster.
There has long been discussion about cutting the dungeon to 60 or 75 levels. Between 50 and 98 the only noticeable point is dl80, when speed rings start to appear. Coupled with the lack of variety in dungeons (see UnAndrew's thread), it does make for a boring period.

I'd be happy to leave the dungeon at 100 levels if enough of the interesting stuff in that thread was implemented. I think that would make for a better game.