--prefix=/usr \
--bindir=/usr/bin \
--sysconfdir=/usr/share/angband \
--with-configpath=/usr/share/angband \
--with-libpath=/usr/share/angband \
--enable-gtk \
--enable-sdl \
--enable-sdl-mixer
As I keep playing the game, I notice it starts to slow down considerably. This is only evident on repetition commands like digging or searching. The counter is very fast at the start of the game, but about half-an-hour into the game it starts taking 0,5 seconds per tick. As you can guess this has a huge impact on actions like digging.

These type of actions also take over one of my cores, which shoots over to 100%. I suspect this should be expected if the code doesn't take advantage of multi-processing. But the degradation of performance is more troublesome.

Does anyone else experience this? Have you found a solution? Do you suspect a cause?

Thank you.
krugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2010, 21:29   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I think this is a bug with the X11 mode (-mx11). If you play with curses (-mgcu) or SDL (-msdl) I am pretty sure it doesn't happen.

EDIT: I should say that right now the X11 mode doesn't really have a maintainer and is pretty long in the tooth.
Old September 8, 2010, 23:21   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I think this is a bug with the X11 mode (-mx11). If you play with curses (-mgcu) or SDL (-msdl) I am pretty sure it doesn't happen.

EDIT: I should say that right now the X11 mode doesn't really have a maintainer and is pretty long in the tooth.
Isn't this the same bug as ticket #1142, which was fixed in r2009?? Strange that there would be another X11 resources bug ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010, 01:01   #4
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Isn't this the same bug as ticket #1142, which was fixed in r2009?? Strange that there would be another X11 resources bug ...
He posted playing 3.1.2.v2. Is that before or after r2009?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010, 01:20   #5
krugar
Apprentice

krugar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
I should say that right now the X11 mode doesn't really have a maintainer and is pretty long in the tooth.
How unfortunate
GTK mode is perfect for me, since it uses my .Xdefaults font settings and works very well with my working environment (a tilling wm). I confess I couldn't adapt at all to the sdl GUI. The curses option is the next best thing after GTK, I will have to give it a deeper look and see if I can replicate my current opened terminals.

But will have to rebuild. With the current GTK and SDL flags, cpu usage also is an issue with -ngcu. It's not if I build with those disabled (I know this because I actually started out with a ncurses only build before moving to GTK).

Quote:
I took a look at that ticket. It apparently seems it's back. With these nuances...

- It uses up full CPU resources on initial screen.
- When playing it uses full cpu resources when counters are ticking.
- Performance degrades over time.
- Built with X11 and GTK disabled solves all cpu and degradation issues.
Old September 9, 2010, 19:35   #6
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
The "degrades over time" bit makes me think that it isn't necessarily related to ticket #1142. The problem in that bug only really applies when the WM is trying to resize the window.
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010, 22:15   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by krugar View Post
I took a look at that ticket. It apparently seems it's back. With these nuances...

- It uses up full CPU resources on initial screen.
- When playing it uses full cpu resources when counters are ticking.
- Performance degrades over time.
- Built with X11 and GTK disabled solves all cpu and degradation issues.
Just to be absolutely clear: are you reporting this about the latest nightly (or a personal build from trunk), or 3.1.2v2?
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010, 22:55   #8
krugar
Apprentice

Quote:
Just to be absolutely clear: are you reporting this about the latest nightly (or a personal build from trunk), or 3.1.2v2?
It's for 3.1.2v2, Magnate. See initial post.
But I have not reported the bug yet. I was hoping for a confirmation on this thread from someone else experiencing this problem in order to do that.

I'm confident this isn't an isolated case. But the fact no one has yet confirmed it, is troubling me. I'm surprised that few, in anyone, plays the game in GTK mode.
Old September 10, 2010, 07:12   #9
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
From the screenshots you posted in your other thread you seem to be using a WM which will want to resize windows "arbitrarily". It may well be that the fix for ticket#1142 wasn't aggressive enough; it still tries to force a minimum size of 80x24 for each terminal.

Does the game consume 100% CPU just after you've started it (and perhaps moved the windows into the appropriate configuration)?
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2010, 13:57   #10
krugar
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
It may well be that the fix for ticket#1142 wasn't aggressive enough; it still tries to force a minimum size of 80x24 for each terminal.
The game does behave differently than the typical GTK application when I try to resize individual windows. They don't obey as naturally as others do. I guess, because the window geometry is indeed focused on a predefined value that it wants to fix for me.

For dynamic tilling WMs, it's actually desirable that the software doesn't try to impose a window geometry while at the same time offering the possibility to change it. This is especially true of software that opens more than one window. Consider this:

Because we may dynamically alter the geometry of other windows when doing a change on a single window, if the software does that, we find it neigh impossible to properly adjust the environment to our liking. It also (this is the good part) tends to expose a few bugs on the tilling WM code

What we prefer is for software to flow (wrap) content freely inside the window as we resize it. It's our task to ensure the text displays as intended. We expect to achieve that by giving the window sensible dimensions. Not by having the software fix the dimension for us. In other words, it's the user task to guarantee data displays properly, not the software's. The latter only wants to manage the flow of text. It doesn't care if it just wrapped part of that pretty table and its now a mess

Quote:
Does the game consume 100% CPU just after you've started it (and perhaps moved the windows into the appropriate configuration)?
Right after I start it, while still on the initial screen where it waits for me to load an existing game or start a new one. It goes back to normal CPU usage when I do one of those.

It then only consumes the CPU when I perform looping actions like digging or searching. They also start to perform slower and slower, the longer I stay in the game. It's not tied to the number of opened game windows.

Last edited by krugar; September 10, 2010 at 14:03.