Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 15, 2020, 21:11   #11
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
You have Colluin, not only does it cover rPoison it also activates for double resist all elements which is free ticket for unique hunting. Its inconceivable that you shouldnt have found any useful rings by now, a good ring of mouse, dex, damage, slaying, anything. Keep the next one you get.

You can get rid of all your melee weapons, nothing is as good as Wrath.

For body armor id wear Celeborn, for the activation, even if the dex loss means a slight decrease in damage. Speaking of dex, half troll warriors have low base dex so an extra source is welcome; possibilities include a Lorien bow, amulet of trickery, ring of power.

Your on dlvl 74 now, thats virtually as dangerous as 98, but the loot still gets better.

One caveat: in randart games, there is a weird rule in place that prevents artifact light sources from dropping below a certain level, usually ~ 50 - 60. I dont know if that is also the case for the standarts, if so, you have missed out.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2020, 15:46   #12
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Very nice advice you've received so far in this thread, but even as an experienced player I cannot abide by DL98 being similarly dangerous to DL74. Yes, 74 can have any of the dangerous things on 98, but the frequency of many of the more problematic ones are much less at DL74 than 98 such as *GREATER* Undead pits and passwall Demons en mass. So, if you are going to crash dive to DL98, please know it is a lot more dangerous (especially if you have low stealth) and you need to be much more careful. The Terrasque does not show up on DL74 very often, for instance. I mean, he's not going to be roaming the hallways at that depth like he will be at DL98.
Old July 16, 2020, 20:16   #13
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Very nice advice you've received so far in this thread, but even as an experienced player I cannot abide by DL98 being similarly dangerous to DL74. Yes, 74 can have any of the dangerous things on 98, but the frequency of many of the more problematic ones are much less at DL74 than 98 such as *GREATER* Undead pits and passwall Demons en mass. So, if you are going to crash dive to DL98, please know it is a lot more dangerous (especially if you have low stealth) and you need to be much more careful. The Terrasque does not show up on DL74 very often, for instance. I mean, he's not going to be roaming the hallways at that depth like he will be at DL98.
I have to say, I'm in the 74 is about as dangerous as 98 camp. Yeah, you're right, the frequency is increased, but the risk-reward tradeoff highly favors dropping to 98 as quickly as may be. Hell, from about level DL50 on, I'm just hoping to collect enough Deep Descent to drop straight to DL98.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2020, 21:08   #14
drquicksilver
Scout

drquicksilver is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for all the advice.

I dived fairly slowly after the above character sheet; I followed advice to use Colluin, put a ring of dexterity on for a while to make sure I had maximum attacks per round, but ended up swapping it for a ring of speed when another dropped. I have upgraded my rings twice now, at 4850', Harowen dropped a (+10) and not too long after Cantoras dropped a (+13). I've found lots of other sources of dexterity including (+5) from Dal-i-thalion and (+5) from a Lothlorien bow, and an amulet of trickery I'm not wearing yet but might. I know (+30) speed is more than I need but I have flexibility now if a ring of power ever shows up. Many of the uniques seemed fairly easy, most of the big Ws are down and some of the big As. Carcaroth and Huan were the most difficult fights I won. Tarrasque and Measse I have given up on twice, and Wiruin always seems to show up at a bad moment.

I managed to clear at 4850' one of those big rectangular vaults with big wide open corridors but I'm not sure I'd bother again. It was very slow and painful going when monsters have LoS on you over the heads of annoying ants and can't be lured out. I used quite a few charges of Banishment and teleported away all the hard uniques. There were no amazing items in there but good stacks of consumables - the best were the bows of Lothlorien. Rod of speed hasn't shown up yet... having two rods of healing is nice though; with those plus Elessar I manage to avoid using Healing potions most of the time. Lots more weapons have shown up but they all seem less good than the Trident of Wrath.

I decided to try Sauron and it went OK, used a couple of healing potions but won the fight! Had to send away Wiruin and Lungorthin towards the end of the fight. Sauron dropped nothing good :-(

I'm disappointed not to find a ring of power but I don't think I need to hang around for anything else? I have a good stack of healing potions and scrolls of Destruction, I have decent melee damage and +30 base speed. Maybe I should get rid of Vecna, Lungorthin, Wiruin and Measse first though. Do I have to kill the Tarrasque?

Updated : http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23720
drquicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2020, 21:48   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You could kill Sauron immediately, with a swap to get nexus. (Your saving throw is terrible, so his odds of teleporting you off the level are very high.) It is a shame you don't have more sustains, but with that much !Life and ,Vigor, you shouldn't have a problem. Go for it! And consider Weaponmastery for M, since you will do a bit more damage.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2020, 21:52   #16
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
You could kill Sauron immediately, with a swap to get nexus. (Your saving throw is terrible, so his odds of teleporting you off the level are very high.) It is a shame you don't have more sustains, but with that much !Life and ,Vigor, you shouldn't have a problem. Go for it! And consider Weaponmastery for M, since you will do a bit more damage.
187485 4950' Killed Sauron, the Sorcerer

he's up to Morgoth preperation.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2020, 22:09   #17
drquicksilver
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
It is a shame you don't have more sustains, but with that much !Life and ,Vigor, you shouldn't have a problem. Go for it!
Well I kept that Amulet of Sustenance at home in case I wanted it... but maybe I just quaff the Lifes.
Old July 16, 2020, 22:19   #18
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
The one thing I'm not seeing is a whole bunch of potions of speed. Get them. Me personally I'd swap in trickery amulet because having str/dex/con sustained on a warrior is minimum drama. Other then that you look good to go. Just keep in mind Morgoth will drain non-rod devices (don't melee him with wands/staves) & that you constantly want to reduce the fight to you & him (banish, TO etc.)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2020, 22:39   #19
drquicksilver
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
The one thing I'm not seeing is a whole bunch of potions of speed. Get them. Me personally I'd swap in trickery amulet because having str/dex/con sustained on a warrior is minimum drama. Other then that you look good to go. Just keep in mind Morgoth will drain non-rod devices (don't melee him with wands/staves) & that you constantly want to reduce the fight to you & him (banish, TO etc.)
Yes. Last few trips to the dungeon have been stingy with Speed potions and I used some on those last big uniques. OK I'll try to find some more.
Old July 17, 2020, 02:20   #20
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I would replace one speed ring with damage and buff haste, but if you stick to 30 base speed anyway you dont really need any speed potions.

Anyway, good luck!
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote