AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 28, 2020, 13:04   #11
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Unless you run into some monters which can teleport @ into the room which can be game over if @ has no teleport self yet.
Do you usually explore without ?phase door in the early game? Usually I try to keep them with me starting from level 1. They have saved my @ multiple times in situations like this one.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 13:23   #12
moosferatu
Apprentice

moosferatu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter View Post
I tend to explore out every level, at least the rooms with something indicated by a Detect Treasure. And after once finding Anduril just lying on the floor in the middle of an otherwise empty, out of the way room on a shallow 5-2 level, I've come to suspect that the level feelings might include intentional errors.

(Or it's just borked.)
I feel the same. In my last game I found Aglarang and the Arkenstone (I'm not experienced enough to know how rare or comparatively good it is, but I thought it was kick-ass.) just hanging out by themselves on low level-feel DLs.
moosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 14:00   #13
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Actually I think 5 is precisely the treasure feeling for a level with a lone artifact on the floor and nothing much else. So don't think that 5 = low.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 14:54   #14
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
I'm more likely to explore to discover who might be there to create the omens of death. It could be a pit of multiple monsters which you can take on a few at a time.
When I get the 9-? feeling I do this. When it expands to 9-2, I'm out if I haven't found a reason to stay. But I could be wrong.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 15:26   #15
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Early high danger feeling is almost certainly a pit (ants, beetles, minor demons). I very often clear ant pits if I have a ranged option. But I agree on the op feeling there, that high-danger levels seem to be very common already in the early game. Low-danger levels quickly become exceedingly rare. Has someone actually seen a 1-? level after like DL15 or is it even possible?

Finding Anduril on a floor on 5-2 level should not happen and I'd call it a game bug. If it really happened. I have played this game a bunch and I've never ever found even a lowly artifact on a floor below treasure feeling 5. Would be happy to be proved corrected, though.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 15:51   #16
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Yeah artifacts on the floor are a minimum treasure feel of 5. If it happened it's a bug. More likely it was a drop confused with floor loot. Regarding danger level casters count extra, a high danger level can actually just mean the pit with all the kobold shamans & apprentices.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 15:56   #17
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
All levels with satiety reduction items should automatically be X-9 LF, since being gorged is the greatest threat to all @s

EDIT: this is a joke hope someone laughed hope no one writes a serious reply
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 18:39   #18
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Do you usually explore without ?phase door in the early game? Usually I try to keep them with me starting from level 1. They have saved my @ multiple times in situations like this one.
Yes, i also spend my starting money on clw and pd.
Such death happens rarely but it did happen to me. How much @ was too careless is of course a question
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 18:39   #19
bughunter
Rookie

bughunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Yeah artifacts on the floor are a minimum treasure feel of 5. If it happened it's a bug. More likely it was a drop confused with floor loot. Regarding danger level casters count extra, a high danger level can actually just mean the pit with all the kobold shamans & apprentices.
I confess I did not make a written note of the feel, it was a few characters ago, a Dun. Ranger.

But it was certainly below a ?-5, since at those shallow levels, a 5 is actually a pretty good treasure feel, and I was expecting nothing but junk. (Not in quotes, note.) I was shocked, suprised and quite happy to find it.

Maybe it was a drop, but that room was unexplored and empty. That was part of the surprise, and it now compels me to check out every red asterisk on the map.

Perhaps the surprise was enhanced by the fact that it was just what my Ranger needed, and he used that sword for the rest of his game.

(Killed by something somewhere below DL 50 - I forget... so many deaths... so... many...)
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2020, 21:50   #20
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
When you get a 9-2 level feeling, head for the exit.
That's beside the point.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote