Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2013, 09:29   #11
Timo Pietilä
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilä is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajaton View Post
I believe it is still marked as *Destruction*, which I've always found to be strange, since i've never seen a regular Destruction.
Destruction is breaking the rule that starred item is more powerful version of the normal item. It's just destruction.

Maybe *dest* should have larger radius than plain dest.? Earthquake-radius for one and LoS for other?
Timo Pietilä is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013, 10:50   #12
quarague
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 256
quarague is on a distinguished road
Some response to the initial posters questions: IIRC banishment deals 1d4 damage per banished monster, mass banishment deals 1d3, if you have access to the spells, it will say so in the description, if you have only staffs or scrolls the description is more vague.
This means it is rather unlikely that you will die from using them and especially if you have the spells (for unlimited use) they make clearing out vaults almost trivial. You don't get any xp because you just banished all the monsters but you get all the goodies with very little risk to your char (you can TO the uniques in the vault if you don't want to deal with them).
Destruction on the other hand destroys all the items as well so it is much harder to use for vault clearing.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013, 22:43   #13
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,165
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilä View Post
Destruction is breaking the rule that starred item is more powerful version of the normal item. It's just destruction.
Isn't a staff of earthquakes effectively the unstarred version of a staff of *destruction*?
If so, shouldn't the 'staff of earthquakes' simply be renamed a 'staff of destruction' and then we can all sleep more easily in our beds?
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013, 22:45   #14
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Earthquake and Destruction abide by significantly different rules, though; earthquakes only destroy monsters if the monster can't be displaced to an adjacent tile (as I understand it anyway) and only destroy items if the tile the item is on is replaced with a wall. They also don't blind the user.

I'd rather have Earthquake and Destruction, than Destruction and *Destruction*. I think stars in names are generally silly. I mean, imagine if we had potions of Cure Wounds, *Cure Wounds*, **Cure Wounds**, etc.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2013, 01:49   #15
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 57
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I mean, imagine if we had potions of Cure Wounds, *Cure Wounds*, **Cure Wounds**, etc.
I like it!
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2013, 01:59   #16
Patashu
Knight
 
Patashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 526
Patashu is on a distinguished road
Soon the stars will have their own stars surrounding them!
__________________
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2013, 08:16   #17
Zyphyr
Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 135
Zyphyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'd rather have Earthquake and Destruction, than Destruction and *Destruction*. I think stars in names are generally silly. I mean, imagine if we had potions of Cure Wounds, *Cure Wounds*, **Cure Wounds**, etc.
I dream of a day when I can wield ***Weapon*** and wear ******Armor******.
Zyphyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2013, 17:02   #18
Wraitheist
Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 133
Wraitheist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarague View Post
Some response to the initial posters questions: IIRC banishment deals 1d4 damage per banished monster, mass banishment deals 1d3, if you have access to the spells, it will say so in the description, if you have only staffs or scrolls the description is more vague.
This means it is rather unlikely that you will die from using them and especially if you have the spells (for unlimited use) they make clearing out vaults almost trivial. You don't get any xp because you just banished all the monsters but you get all the goodies with very little risk to your char (you can TO the uniques in the vault if you don't want to deal with them).
Destruction on the other hand destroys all the items as well so it is much harder to use for vault clearing.
Thanks very much, that's very helpful!
Wraitheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Banish _?Banish? Thraalbee Vanilla 28 September 22, 2011 18:39
Tele-other, GV clearing. Timo Pietilä Vanilla 25 October 13, 2010 02:45
*Destruction* Cave Man Vanilla 24 April 5, 2009 23:58
Clearing Dangerous Vaults Wraitheist Vanilla 0 January 22, 2009 17:30
How To: Make permanent walls purple for easier vault clearing Zero Vanilla 4 August 6, 2008 21:13


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.