Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old November 13, 2013, 20:31   #441
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Re the original topic, I feel that violet molds add a decidedly irritating, unfun aspect to the game. Actually they're most of the reason I haven't played Sil in ages.

BTW, completely OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap
the evil scimitar
I've always wondered about that. Is there a reason for this fantasy trope?

(I've noticed that axes and maces also seem to be typically "dishonorable" in European influenced high fantasy. Maybe because they were traditionally commoners' weapons?)
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2013, 20:35   #442
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I assume scimitars are associated with evil because they originated in the Middle East, i.e. the people that several Crusades were fought against. Hence they got a reputation in Europe as the weapon of choice for the Enemy.

Dunno about axes/maces though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2013, 22:05   #443
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
I've always wondered about that. Is there a reason for this fantasy trope?

(I've noticed that axes and maces also seem to be typically "dishonorable" in European influenced high fantasy. Maybe because they were traditionally commoners' weapons?)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nisterScimitar says crusades as well. I doubt this. I believe it is unlikely that such a bad reputation persists for hundreds of years when it is one of the main European melee weapons at the same time (for cavalry, in "academic" fencing and often the nascent police forces, i.e. prestige contexts). I would guess this is much more recent, mid-20th century or so. Others: Axes are probably barbarian in television, maces suffer from similarity to clubs and polearms see love only in Asia and Switzerland?
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2013, 22:40   #444
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind that we have an awful lot of tapestries from the Crusades era depicting Muslim soldiers with scimitars. Hell, the Wikipedia article has a huge number of national flags from the Middle Easty, showing the scimitar. So the Muslim <-> scimitar relationship is strongly established, and even in these days we have a lot of people who have kneejerk "Muslim = evil" associations.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2013, 02:03   #445
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
I am a bit puzzled that there is advocacy for 4 lb curved sword for rare 4 STR builds unwilling to invest in melee and evasion (extreme niche build?)
I have no idea why you'd characterize it that way. This isn't special pleading in service of some strange build. It's an extension of an established design principle - no randomness, but rather fixed average stats, for things at the start that people might find "optimal" to start over for.

Quote:
but none for a humble spear (which would make the start a bit more equal for strong and weak alike).
That would be a separate issue, but you're free to advocate for it.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2013, 04:29   #446
BlueFish
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
Re the original topic, I feel that violet molds add a decidedly irritating, unfun aspect to the game. Actually they're most of the reason I haven't played Sil in ages.
In my personal copy, I made violet molds glow, so you can see them in the dark. This balances them pretty well IMO. If you want to do this, go into lib\edit\monster.txt and change the last number in the I: line for Violet molds from 0 to 1.
Old November 15, 2013, 20:38   #447
Infinitum
Swordsman

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
As of right now, Sword Spiders. The combination of speed, accuracy and high (albeit random) damage means encountering one is essentially a tossup, esp. if it jumps you in the darkness away from corners. Just had one jump a Fingolfin warrior and happily chew through not only the full 49 Hp but 3 Orcish Liqours to boot without much I could do about it.

Fuckers are like the thunderdome on eight legs s'all I'm saying.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2013, 04:22   #448
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
As of right now, Sword Spiders. The combination of speed, accuracy and high (albeit random) damage means encountering one is essentially a tossup, esp. if it jumps you in the darkness away from corners. Just had one jump a Fingolfin warrior and happily chew through not only the full 49 Hp but 3 Orcish Liqours to boot without much I could do about it.

Fuckers are like the thunderdome on eight legs s'all I'm saying.
Playing high protection by any chance? I find they'll punch straight through mail of protection & a kite shield pretty easily if your evasion is too low. High evasion & high melee seems to work well on them. Best is a good light (or keen senses) & either a bow or stealth+a closed door. I tend to find that only 1 or 2 extra pts in melee/evasion or the right item(doriath weapon for instance) is the difference between very nasty & very easy for sword spiders.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2013, 06:26   #449
BlueFish
Swordsman

Sword spiders are certainly an outlier spike in the melee combat difficulty curve, at 150 ft. And they are very very common. If I had to guess at their theoretical game design purpose, I'd guess that they're designed to teach the player that some monsters should be avoided rather than fought. Which is why they're designed to be avoidable. But the cases where they're not, can be pretty frustrating.
Old November 16, 2013, 08:34   #450
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Sword spiders are certainly an outlier spike in the melee combat difficulty curve, at 150 ft. And they are very very common. If I had to guess at their theoretical game design purpose, I'd guess that they're designed to teach the player that some monsters should be avoided rather than fought. Which is why they're designed to be avoidable. But the cases where they're not, can be pretty frustrating.
The main design goals were to have a difficult creature, an interesting lone quick creature (most are in packs), to make spiders noticeable since they are so important in the lore. I think they are the most difficult creature for their depth (though some people have more trouble with orc archers). When I see them, I stop, take my hands off the keyboard and think. That is as intended. One additional technique to deal with them is a good attack. They have terrible protection (1d4) and not that much health (12d4).
half is online now   Reply With Quote