Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old November 16, 2013, 09:59   #451
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
I like sword spiders a lot, although (because?) they kill me quite often especially with Naugrim or other low dexterity builds. My main tactics against them are ranged attacks (and doors and corners) even with dedicated melee fighters, a single thrown spear that connects before you go into melee can easily make the difference. Distended spiders can be hairy in melee as well, but they are even easier archery targets due to lower speed.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2013, 15:03   #452
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Big weapons and fighting them around corners are definitely advised. If you have 49HP and any defenses whatsoever, you should probably be able to flee around a corner and then take a few chances at sneaking back and hitting them. It's much worse when they find you in the middle of some other melee
Old December 20, 2013, 08:17   #453
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Another minor one about the display. The dark colour of a down shaft & an un-lit stair case are the same (or look the same to me). I can get round it with the look command, but a more obvious differentiation would be nice.

Edit: & is it my imagination or does a target for thrown weapons remain targeted after it moves out of throwing range. Seems to happen a lot for me with spears & str 1 characters.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2013, 09:28   #454
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Another minor one about the display. The dark colour of a down shaft & an un-lit stair case are the same (or look the same to me). I can get round it with the look command, but a more obvious differentiation would be nice.
+1 to that.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013, 10:47   #455
Infinitum
Swordsman

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Hmm. The Gorged status? The only place it has ever been an issue to me is in the throne room (what with the excessive buffing and near-constant consumption of Rage Herbs and Healing items), yet it's ridiculously dangerous in that one context. Optimal play being hungry on the 1000' descent is opaque and unintuitive to unspoiled players, and removing it entirely wouldn't impact the game otherwise.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013, 10:56   #456
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
Hmm. The Gorged status? The only place it has ever been an issue to me is in the throne room (what with the excessive buffing and near-constant consumption of Rage Herbs and Healing items), yet it's ridiculously dangerous in that one context. Optimal play being hungry on the 1000' descent is opaque and unintuitive to unspoiled players, and removing it entirely wouldn't impact the game otherwise.
Does spoiled / unspoiled really apply? It is explained in the manual after all.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013, 11:03   #457
Infinitum
Swordsman

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
Yes, but it's such a non-factor in gameplay otherwise its very easy to overlook unless one has experienced it, or have been explicitly warned of it beforehand. The underlying mechanic being mentioned in a accompanying text document doesn't really recitify that.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013, 05:48   #458
BrewFall
Rookie

BrewFall is on a distinguished road
What about a command to induce vomiting?
BrewFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013, 12:47   #459
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
If the intent behind 'Gorged' is to make there be a downside to guzzling lots of potions and herbs, why not separate it from hunger (which is, after all, an orthogonal issue), and have some kind of 'Potiondrunk' (for lack of a better word) status, which comes on if you've drunk/eaten too many potions/herbs recently, stops the consumption of more (or makes them weaker?) and goes away when the hidden counter dips back below a threshold?
Old December 26, 2013, 21:14   #460
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
The main motivation behind the way the gorged status works is the 'realism' aspect. We don't want players to be able to eat all their food all at once rather than having to hold it in their inventory. We do want herbs and potions to help stave off starvation in an emergency, so they are folded into the food system.

Thanks for bringing the problem up.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote