Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2008, 15:10   #1
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
Opening a savefile in Windows

On my old Macintosh computer, I could open a savefile, and the metadata in the Mac filesystem would launch Angband, which then used the savefile I opened without me having to select it explicitly.

On Windows, I haven't found a way to do this. I tried giving the savefile a .angband extension, and then setting Windows to always launch files of type .angband with Angband, but that didn't work for some reason.

Is there a way to play the game without having to specify the same savefile every time I launch the application?
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 17:47   #2
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,947
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
On my old Macintosh computer, I could open a savefile, and the metadata in the Mac filesystem would launch Angband, which then used the savefile I opened without me having to select it explicitly.

On Windows, I haven't found a way to do this. I tried giving the savefile a .angband extension, and then setting Windows to always launch files of type .angband with Angband, but that didn't work for some reason.

Is there a way to play the game without having to specify the same savefile every time I launch the application?
Nope, sorry.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 18:11   #3
ekolis
Knight
 
ekolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 911
ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Wouldn't be too hard to add a new command-line option (for all ports) to load a savefile, though, would it?

e.g.
angband -s Ed.angband
or
angband --savefile Ed.angband

to load the Ed.angband savefile in the current directory?

A user could then create a batch file, shell script, shortcut, or whatever to call "angband --savefile" with whatever savefile is passed in to the script, and associate *.angband files with that script, allowing them to be loaded by double-clicking them...

Hmm, that actually sounds like something I might be capable of programming into the game, even with my limited knowledge of C...

I'll see if I can come up with a patch against the latest svn to do that, since while takkaria could clearly do it, he surely has more pressing issues
__________________
You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
You are surrounded by a stasis field!
The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 18:46   #4
roustk
Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 167
roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
Wouldn't be too hard to add a new command-line option (for all ports) to load a savefile, though, would it?

e.g.
angband -s Ed.angband
or
angband --savefile Ed.angband

to load the Ed.angband savefile in the current directory?
For unix, they already have angband -u <who> which opens your character named <who>.

I think that the 3.1.0 Mac port is able to open savefiles in the way the original poster wanted -- in 3.0.9 it launched Angband but you still needed to select the file.
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 19:17   #5
ekolis
Knight
 
ekolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 911
ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Wonder why that option only works in UNIX? Wouldn't it be trivial to make it work on all platforms? Or are the savefiles for some reason encoded in a platform-specific format (e.g. you can't load a Windows Angband savefile on a Mac)? Seems like an odd design decision to me, but I suppose there must have been some reason for doing it that way if it was done that way... :P
__________________
You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
You are surrounded by a stasis field!
The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 19:44   #6
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,947
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
Wonder why that option only works in UNIX? Wouldn't it be trivial to make it work on all platforms?
Trivial if you know what you're doing, yeah. Also, that's the only way for Unix versions to switch between savefiles until recently-- there was no GUI to do that.

The reason there's not much point in implementing this for the vast majority of Windows users is that setting up savefiles to load up the game requires an installer or lots of manual tweaking.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 22:10   #7
ekolis
Knight
 
ekolis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Age: 36
Posts: 911
ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Well, we have one Windows user (Zero) here who is willing to do the "manual tweaking" (renaming the savefile to have some extension like .angband, and setting up the file association, which is pretty trivial itself), so why not add the -u command-line option to the non-Unix ports, and worry about installers and the like later?

I guess my point is, Windows users are not necessarily unwilling to do a little extra work to get their programs working the way they want, so if Zero wants to set up the *.angband file association on his machine, why lock him out just because of some stereotype of Windows users being lazy?

Or am I reading too much into your reply?
__________________
You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
You are surrounded by a stasis field!
The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 23:10   #8
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
I think the best thing to do is simply keep track of what savefile was used last, and automatically use it when launching Angband.

Then we can talk about having more than one living character in a savefile.

These are both very basic features that I'm surprised haven't been implemented yet. Not that I'm criticizing any of the maintainers--I'm happy with any improvements they can make with their limited time.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2008, 05:18   #9
Rizwan
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 292
Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
Well, we have one Windows user (Zero) here who is willing to do the "manual tweaking" (renaming the savefile to have some extension like .angband, and setting up the file association, which is pretty trivial itself), so why not add the -u command-line option to the non-Unix ports, and worry about installers and the like later?
And one more. I have often tried to do just the same and failed. I would not mind manually changing the extension and associating the file with angband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
I guess my point is, Windows users are not necessarily unwilling to do a little extra work to get their programs working the way they want, so if Zero wants to set up the *.angband file association on his machine, why lock him out just because of some stereotype of Windows users being lazy?
Just because I am stuck with a windows machine (for several reasons) does not mean I cant or dont or wont move my lazy butt
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2008, 09:04   #10
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,947
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I think the best thing to do is simply keep track of what savefile was used last, and automatically use it when launching Angband.

Then we can talk about having more than one living character in a savefile.

These are both very basic features that I'm surprised haven't been implemented yet. Not that I'm criticizing any of the maintainers--I'm happy with any improvements they can make with their limited time.
When you say "basic", I'm not sure whether you mean conceptually or in code. Certainly, I don't see the need to have more than one character in a savefile-- a savefile *is* a character, and its history. If you want more than one character, have more than one savefile.

Keeping track of the last savefile seems worthwhile, though, and a bunch of variants have done it. I think there are more important things for me to focus on at the moment (like game balance), but I always welcome patches!
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Angband Borg 3.0.9 and windows Zappa Vanilla 38 October 27, 2010 20:31
Mr. Att icon for Windows port ekolis Vanilla 7 June 10, 2008 18:01
Savefile breakage happening soon takkaria Vanilla 11 May 17, 2008 18:04
Terms/Additional Windows Rimmer Vanilla 4 March 30, 2008 15:56
Windows Compiling and Makefiles APWhite Vanilla 11 August 22, 2007 21:22


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.