Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old April 30, 2018, 09:10   #51
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
How did you win
It was breathing for big damage and I couldn't heal and I couldn't kill it fast enough
Big vampiric weapons like stormbringer & bloodrip are options. Also elemental immunities help with the auras
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 14:10   #52
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am on dungeon level 63 and a Shadower is causing me problems
I am used to seeing Shadowers at shallow depths and they are not really dangerous
Are Shadowers deadly at deeper depths
Any monster in the game can appear as a Shadower, except for uniques, Nazguls and very shallow monsters; so there's no telling how deadly a given Shadower will be apart from 1) fighting it and seeing which monster it feels like [you can usually tell pretty fast if a Shadower is e.g. a great ice wyrm] or 2) probing it. A high-level Shadower can potentially be very deadly.

Last edited by Sideways; May 1, 2018 at 14:16.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 18:32   #53
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Being able to light up a corridor can provide valuable tactical information.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018, 00:29   #54
murphy
Apprentice

murphy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My character sheet reads "Your weapon requires two hands to wield properly"
This is an error, the weapon is being wielded by both hands, the problem is that dex and/or strength is too low

if you are riding, then one hand is needed to control your mount, even if the dump shows a weapon held in both hands
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018, 00:34   #55
Sideways
Knight

Quote:
My character's armour was damaged by an acid attack despite having 3 levels of acid resistance, is this intended
See the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: I have found lots of cool items, but the monsters I meet keep destroying them! Am I doing something wrong?

A: Elemental resists help protect your inventory. With one level of resistance, the chances of an item being destroyed by that element are significantly reduced; with two levels of resistance, the item will only be destroyed if you're really unlucky; with three levels of resistance the item will be safe. Watch out for fire, acid, cold and electricity in the early game, and also chaos in the late game. Sound and shards can destroy potions.

If you don't have the appropriate resist and don't want to risk losing the item, avoid monsters that might destroy it; or, if they only destroy items in melee, avoid melee and kill them with ranged attacks.

Note that the armor you wear will always be susceptible to damage from acid attacks - regardless of your acid resistance level - unless you have immunity to acid.
Old May 2, 2018, 06:47   #56
wobbly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
if you are riding, then one hand is needed to control your mount, even if the dump shows a weapon held in both hands
I've never quite liked this mechanic partly because using a shield mounted is a thing, party because if you're strong enough to use a lance unmounted you're not necessarily strong enough to use a lance mounted and if you're riding a dragon I'd expect steering by command to work better then a set of reigns.
Old May 2, 2018, 13:29   #57
Sideways
Knight

Quote:
Can scrolls of enchant weapon and enchant armour do anything that the enchanter at the Fighter's Hall can't
Yes, they can; the Fighters' Hall (and equivalent bow/ammo enchanters) have a clvl-dependent upper limit to enchanting (between +2 and +12), while scrolls have an upper limit of +15. In practice you're very unlikely to get an item all the way to +15 with scrolls (scroll enchantments become less and less likely to work as +15 is approached), but they can make a (small) difference earlier in the game when you're trying to get items up to +8 or +9.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:10   #58
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The character in http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21363 was carrying a Beam of Light rod when he defeated the Serpent
How are those rods helpful, I thought they were useless
Heh, I thought that would be me.

Beam of light doubles as a minor damage rod. Also, a surprising number of enemies are light-vulnerable.

It also helps with the occasional drolem or quddlywug.

Lastly, this particular character's preferred final setup had no telepathy, for some reason not even via a rod. (Maybe it was early skepticism towards the new telepathy, maybe inexperience, as this was only my second or third win, maybe I dropped the staff to pick up loot after felling J.) So having squares be lighted was vital, and since I was shooting disintegration a lot, beams of light to fill in the beams of disintegration were important.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:48   #59
wobbly
Veteran

It's worth checking beam of light as you can find higher damage versions & it's handy against rbase critters
Old May 3, 2018, 20:39   #60
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Not entirely. Some things which don't show up on telepathy can still be sensed
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband