AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 9, 2020, 13:48   #341
moosferatu
Apprentice

moosferatu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Inscriptions are tied to the individual object (e.g., that specific dagger (+5, +6)), not to the object type (e.g., *all* scrolls of recall in the world). However, you can set the game up to auto-inscribe every object of a certain kind: use the knowledge menu =, auto-inscription setup {, then { to inscribe a certain object type.
Cool, thanks!
moosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2020, 20:27   #342
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Did something change to the chance of ammo breaking on contact? When I look at Iron Shots (+0,+0) in the general store, the chance of breaking is 1%. This seems awfully low.
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2020, 21:30   #343
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfy View Post
Did something change to the chance of ammo breaking on contact? When I look at Iron Shots (+0,+0) in the general store, the chance of breaking is 1%. This seems awfully low.
Doesn't seem low to me, for an iron shot. If it were an arrow or a bolt, that would be very, very low. But really, how easy is it to damage a rounded ball of hard metal so much that it isn't usable?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2020, 23:35   #344
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
So the reason is that they're throwing items now, which all have 1% breakage chance. I wondered about making an exception, but as Ingwe says, it does seem reasonable.
Old May 9, 2020, 23:52   #345
mrfy
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Doesn't seem low to me, for an iron shot. If it were an arrow or a bolt, that would be very, very low. But really, how easy is it to damage a rounded ball of hard metal so much that it isn't usable?
True. I'll just have to manage my inventory more so I'm not so overburdened with lots of Shots. I just expected them to break more often.
Old May 10, 2020, 15:43   #346
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So the reason is that they're throwing items now, which all have 1% breakage chance. I wondered about making an exception, but as Ingwe says, it does seem reasonable.
Then again, iron shots should not break at all, but you rather don't find a certain percentage of them after use. I would keep the old breakage percentage, but would just change the message to "got lost" or something.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 14:08   #347
spara
Adept

Does fear cumulate? Is it so that everytime @ gets "You are terrified!" more rounds are added to the counter?

I assumed that "You feel bolder now." means that the fear counter has gone to zero. However, in my current game, I ate a Mushroom of Terror, got scared by some monster on top of that and then got "You feel bolder now." message. The Terror was still on and @ was unable to harm a fly in melee. Is the Terror counter different from Fear counter? If so, then the fear messages should probably be tweaked a bit, when Terror is on.
Old May 11, 2020, 15:49   #348
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
Does fear cumulate? Is it so that everytime @ gets "You are terrified!" more rounds are added to the counter?

I assumed that "You feel bolder now." means that the fear counter has gone to zero. However, in my current game, I ate a Mushroom of Terror, got scared by some monster on top of that and then got "You feel bolder now." message. The Terror was still on and @ was unable to harm a fly in melee. Is the Terror counter different from Fear counter? If so, then the fear messages should probably be tweaked a bit, when Terror is on.
You can think of Terror as separate from Fear. Fear can be removed by !Boldness, !Heroism, or !Berserk Strength. Warriors of a certain level become immune to Fear. However, Terror is unresistable and incurable, except by time. (A similar condition exists when wearing =Escaping. Though that instantly disappears upon removing the ring.)
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2020, 16:13   #349
spara
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
You can think of Terror as separate from Fear. Fear can be removed by !Boldness, !Heroism, or !Berserk Strength. Warriors of a certain level become immune to Fear. However, Terror is unresistable and incurable, except by time. (A similar condition exists when wearing =Escaping. Though that instantly disappears upon removing the ring.)
Thanks. That how I gathered it probably is. The messages concerning fear under Terror are a bit misleading, but not a big deal really.
Old May 13, 2020, 03:38   #350
mrfy
Adept

I've been seeing a weird double keypress happen in the latest nightly. I've noticed it happening with the movement keys, I use an external usb keypad with my macbook pro, but I think it also happens with regular commands occasionally.

I've also had the game crash while fighting monsters (several times). I tried last night to get a save file but didn't succeed. I'll keep trying.