Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 3, 2013, 15:04   #31
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Mastering the interface is part of the great DF experience.
Very similiar to roguelikes.
Maybe I'm just getting old. I tried to play Angband recently (after a long hiatus) and couldn't remember how to get into the options menu .
Old December 3, 2013, 15:06   #32
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Maybe I'm just getting old. I tried to play Angband recently (after a long hiatus) and couldn't remember how to get into the options menu .
Meh i'm of the opinion that a complicated interface is indicative of sloppy design. Do you have dwarf therapist? If not, you should get it ASAP.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013, 15:08   #33
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Happens to me all the time. ^^
I tend to play *bands in excessive mode for a couple of weeks or months and then go to DF for a while or vice versa.
Usually I'd have forgotten at least half of the commands ...
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013, 16:12   #34
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Do you have dwarf therapist?
It is a cheat. Dwarf stupidity is the only challenge in DF, anything else is trivial.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013, 03:36   #35
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Meh I'm of the opinion that a complicated interface is indicative of sloppy design. Do you have dwarf therapist? If not, you should get it ASAP.
I do use Dwarf Therapist, but not to cheat. The cheat options are clearly labeled. I use it to simplify viewing and switching job assignments. I don't know if I could play DF without it.

My latest problem, the Dining Room. I long ago created a "fine" dining which my dwarves completely ignore... completely ignore. I thought I had it nipped when I figured out "free table" meant, but no. The dining room in a nutshell, chairs and tables.

Code:
CCCCCCCC
TTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTT
CCCCCCCC
The entire room is designated as a dining room, anchored by the orange table. The orange table, therefore, is the only one I can assign to a specific dwarf (AFAIK). When I cursor over any other table I just get the option to "make dining room" again. I've read that layering designations is something to be avoided. I'm at a loss of what else to do.

Hah, writing this post actually caused me to do some further digging (hah), and I think I may have come up with a fix. Time will tell. Feel free to chime in.
Old December 4, 2013, 03:47   #36
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's been ages since I played DF, but as I recall, a designated dining room that isn't assigned to any dwarf ought to be usable by all dwarfs. Layering rooms (e.g. making a dining room from each table and assigning the individual "rooms" to different dwarfs) makes the rooms be of lower value than they'd otherwise be, but at least in the versions I played it was just a flat 25% reduction in value no matter how heavily the rooms were layered. I used to make one awesome gigantic bedroom with enough beds for all my dwarfs and they were all super-pleased about their luxuriant quarters.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013, 05:02   #37
buzzkill
Prophet

One of my animals died because I made their pasture too small. In response, I removed the pasture designation entirely thinking that the remaining animal would roam freely. I should have know something was up when the Yak started hanging out in the tunnels. Anyhow, it died of starvation (in what is probably the worst possible spot it could). For some reason, maybe because it's so heavy, my lazy dwarves won't move it outside. Now it's rotting, creating miasma. Not sure what that is but it can't be good. Still don't know how to get rid of it, the Yak that is.

On the plus side, I survived my first year without any fatalities and a dwarven baby was born. Population 16.
Old December 4, 2013, 07:21   #38
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Every first fortresses just has to suffer from miasma.

Do you have allocated a refuse stockpile? Is it full?
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.p...ockpile#Refuse

Dwarfs should carry any dead bodies and remains to refuse stockpiles. If they are outside no miasma will be created.

Maybe your problem with your dining room has to do with disconnected stairs/ramps? (Or burrows...)

Last edited by Mondkalb; December 4, 2013 at 16:48.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013, 10:12   #39
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
1) Don't ever assign rooms except for nobles. Dwarves will claim bedrooms automatically and share other rooms happily.
2) Designate refuse stockpile and dump zone. Put dump zone on refuse stockpile or under a bridge to crush junk.
Set refuse orders using 'o' 'r' to dump anything you don't process.
3) Without pasture all animals will starve in your meeting hall.
4) Make barracks, military and draft all that stupid extra dwarves in, give them shields.
In current DF combat system shield is essential, assuming dwarf is well trained and skilled, it can block all attacks and kill with shield. Weapon and armor are also good but shield is ten times more important.
5) Well military trained dwarf (all usefull stats maxed) if relesed from service will work and move maybe twice as fast and much better then noobish dwarf.

Last edited by LostTemplar; December 4, 2013 at 10:27.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013, 14:39   #40
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
1)2) Designate refuse stockpile and dump zone. Put dump zone on refuse stockpile or under a bridge to crush junk.
Set refuse orders using 'o' 'r' to dump anything you don't process.
Thanks. I had a dead body stockpile, but it was full. I placed a dump zone atop it. Hopefully that will clear things up.