Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 31, 2014, 20:15   #1
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Almost YASD -- rogue kobold

My level 46 kobold rogue has been very glib about traps for a long time with his 100% disarm rate, and I forgot to check a chest for a trap after clearing a vault before opening it on dlev about 70, it was a summoning runes trap, and I got the Mouth of Sauron, a DracoLisk and a few others, the mouth instantly hit me with a mana storm, taking me down below 50%. My only 100% escape is teleport level and there were some artifacts I wanted to haul back home, so I risked a wand of teleport other on the mouth and the DL and got lucky both succeeded. I didn't have my speed/melee kit equipped either so it was pretty dicey. I have a lot of speed (about +38 temporary) so I've been able to pillar dance just about anything that doesn't wall-walk so I took out the mouth when I had a chance to prepare . Normally after fighting I always walk around with my stealth kit on which is more like +20 speed so I was definitely caught with my proverbial pants down!
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014, 20:26   #2
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
I think you dont need a stealth kit if you already have a speed kit as speed also increases your stealth by reducing the amount of checks sleeping monsters make while you do your stuff.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014, 22:04   #3
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
I think you dont need a stealth kit if you already have a speed kit as speed also increases your stealth by reducing the amount of checks sleeping monsters make while you do your stuff.
Hmm well I have experienced individual monsters spontaneously waking up (rare but it happens) when my stealth kit is not equipped, and they basically never wake up with it equipped, I can even rest right next to them (I generally don't do that but still). The melee vs. stealth kits have a difference of 7 stealth (10 if I switch out Hithlomir for Isildur), so that's a pretty hefty difference. It does explain however them generally staying asleep with my melee kit equipped. I'm wading through the middle of some really nasty groups so a single wake-up and breath attack can be catastrophic as it then sets of a chain of wake-ups. But thanks for the note, good to know that!
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014, 22:53   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If you were in the vault, then Phase Door would have taken you outside it. Always carry phase door scrolls for that if nothing else.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote