Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 5, 2008, 20:18   #1
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
How *do* you kill Saruman?

I'm playing Vanilla Angband, and I just fled level 2750 after killing the Lernaean Hydra and barely escaping Saruman. I'm a 47th level rogue and I'm carrying a ton of great stuff:

* Lance of Eorlingas
* Short Bow of Amras
* ring of Speed +2
* ring of Damage +10
* The Jewel 'Evenstar'
* Star of Elendil
* Augmented Chain Mail of Caspanion
* Cloak of Protection
* Cesti of Fingolfin
* Boots of Stability

I get four blows with that lance (!!!), none of my stats are below 18/130, I've got rods of acid balls and cold balls, a Staff of Power, wands of Dragon's Flame and Dragon's Frost, and if I cast Haste Self my speed is +15... and with all that, I still don't see how it's possible for me to take out Saruman. The dude just looks indestructible to me.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to avoid him a while longer?
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2008, 20:25   #2
momo125
Scout

momo125 is on a distinguished road
More speed. He resists base execpt acid. find slay evil or acid arrows.
kill some elemental wurms and try to find better RoS
momo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2008, 01:38   #3
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road

You probably need more speed and/or damage. Be patient, artifacts and speed rings will turn up. When you feel ready to fight him:

- dig an anti-summoning corridor
- use ?Blessing and !Heroism
- cast Haste Self and Resistance (if available to rogues; otherwise, !RHeat and !RCold)

No point in not using cheap/replenishable resources to shorten the odds. Using all your buffs makes a big difference.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2008, 18:36   #4
Paffa
Scout

Paffa is on a distinguished road
Don't think on taking Saruman in melee unless you have disenchantment resistance. Unless you want your kit screwed :P
Paffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008, 07:43   #5
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paffa View Post
Don't think on taking Saruman in melee unless you have disenchantment resistance. Unless you want your kit screwed :P
Oops, I never knew that. (Only time I fought him in V, I was using Calris.) Good thing some people on this site know what they're doing.

Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008, 19:22   #6
gglibertine
Adept

Whew. I finally found another ring of speed -- but I'm torn. I was already wearing a ring of speed +2 and a ring of CON +4. replacing the ring of CON with the new ring of speed -- +6 -- gives me a max speed of +21, but loses me over 100 HP. Tough call....
Old January 7, 2008, 19:32   #7
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
Whew. I finally found another ring of speed -- but I'm torn. I was already wearing a ring of speed +2 and a ring of CON +4. replacing the ring of CON with the new ring of speed -- +6 -- gives me a max speed of +21, but loses me over 100 HP. Tough call....
Not really, keep the ring of +6 and con, toss the +2.

PS : Your signature disturbs me
Old January 8, 2008, 19:51   #8
gglibertine
Adept

Woohoo! I killed him! Most fortunately, he summoned a bunch of demons and dragons to protect himself, one of which dropped Calris. I had to put down the Lance of Eorlingas, but that only dropped my base speed to +15, and Calris is enough lighter that I got an extra hit with it. I lost Resist Fear, but used Heroism to deal with that, and Calris giving me Resist Disenchantment meant I could take on Mr. Many-Colored mano a mano; it was still a near thing, but I got the bastard and teleported out to recover before taking on the rest of the swarm he'd summoned. AND he thoughtfully dropped the Arkenstone for me.

I like Calris. Calris is my pal.
Old January 15, 2008, 17:33   #9
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gglibertine View Post
Woohoo! I killed him! Most fortunately, he summoned a bunch of demons and dragons to protect himself, one of which dropped Calris. I had to put down the Lance of Eorlingas, but that only dropped my base speed to +15, and Calris is enough lighter that I got an extra hit with it. I lost Resist Fear, but used Heroism to deal with that, and Calris giving me Resist Disenchantment meant I could take on Mr. Many-Colored mano a mano; it was still a near thing, but I got the bastard and teleported out to recover before taking on the rest of the swarm he'd summoned. AND he thoughtfully dropped the Arkenstone for me.

I like Calris. Calris is my pal.
Nice- Saruman drops only excellent items, so he is often a very nice power boost. I haven't been around lately- if I had been I would probably have said, in answer to your thread title, "wait till you are deeper" (I generally _can't_ kill him until long after I first see him- he drives me nuts by forcing me off levels, as he is not prone to sleeping)- but you knocked him off, and got Calris, so... worked out well for you. Next time you play try killing him at around 4000'- you are almost guaranteed some nice stuff at that depth. I've gotten a total of two sets of BoS+10 from him, plus many other nice things.

Anyway, if I remember your previous posts correctly seems like you have broken through a barrier after some years of play... congrats on Saruman, he is a milestone (he's quite tough for his depth). Once you can kill him regularly it is just a matter of time 'till you win. Calris.. well, if you'll forgive me this, Calris is a double-edged sword . As a rogue you will want to un-curse it and then... only wield it when you know what is around, and then mainly against dragons. Stealth is the rogue's best point, and wielding Calris obviously obviates that. OTOH you ought to be able to chew up the elemental Wyrms with it, and they drop_good. So I'd go hunting Wyrms if I were you. Carefully . The game changes qualitatively at some point- you're well past that point so you know what I mean, but... it can still sneak up on you, particularly 'till you know that depth well.

And yeah- keep =Con. +8 to speed is not that much better than +6- certainly not as important as 100 hp. Have you considered posting a dump? Makes it easier to comment.

BTW- do you mind if I ask which series you have subbed? Just curious.

Edit: err- misread your post, as regards speed... what are your choices for speed? without a dump it is hard to comment... anyway the 100 hp are almost certainly better... also, btw, nice find in Fingolfin... seems like I never get them until late.

Last edited by aeneas; January 15, 2008 at 17:43.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2008, 18:44   #10
gglibertine
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
Calris.. well, if you'll forgive me this, Calris is a double-edged sword . As a rogue you will want to un-curse it and then... only wield it when you know what is around, and then mainly against dragons. Stealth is the rogue's best point, and wielding Calris obviously obviates that. OTOH you ought to be able to chew up the elemental Wyrms with it, and they drop_good. So I'd go hunting Wyrms if I were you. Carefully . The game changes qualitatively at some point- you're well past that point so you know what I mean, but... it can still sneak up on you, particularly 'till you know that depth well.
Well, now I've got Ringil, so things are definitely much improved. My base speed is up to +30, thanks to a couple of rings of speed and assorted artifact bonuses. I had to do without the extra CON for a while, but eventually decided I needed the bonuses from The Small Metal Shield of Thorin more than I did the sustains from my Shield of Preservation; I was carrying around mushrooms of restoring anyway because of those pesky time hounds, so what the hell.

I don't know how to take a dump or post it... I should figure that out, I guess.

Quote:
BTW- do you mind if I ask which series you have subbed? Just curious.
Nothing that's been released yet. I've been working on subs for Marrying Type and Golden Apple, both Korean dramas, but I'm still waiting for the transcriber to finish the scripts, and both series still need timers and QA -- if you can do that, you ought to go over and volunteer!