AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old October 11, 2013, 10:07   #41
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Is the following statement correct: "If you have light 2 by any means (forged helm of brilliance, forged lesser jewel of brightness, keen senses, song of trees) and only move horizontal/vertical when you can't see two tiles diagonally from where you want to go, then you can never be attacked by a purple mold before you discover its existence."?
Not quite. You need a concept of corners too:

Code:
m...
##@#
So you need to always enter unexplored rooms, or go around unexplored corridor bends without cutting corners to be safe. Note that 'running' always does this.

There is also a very slim chance of a shadow mold (native to 100 ft deeper) having a violet mold in its radius, or a shadow cloak having the same. I've never heard of this being reported though. I think almost all cases are of moving when you can't see far enough, or corner-cutting.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013, 10:19   #42
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
It does not. Amulets of Con do, though. I think you can make a +0 con amulet cheaply but I believe it still drains 1 con to do so.
I think this presents a reasonable case for not having the sustains cost stat points. They might then become interesting early options (whereas at present you are highly unlikely to spend a stat point you can't restore to guard against a possibility of having that stat drained).
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013, 13:45   #43
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
To be fair, I think many of us play the early game carelessly just because we have to play it relatively much more often than the mid-to-late game, especially when trying out a new build. This could be the reason why we still get complaints about purple molds when they are relatively rare on paper?
That is why I love singers. Early game is really tense and dangerous with them.

P.S. I know that running does not cut corners, and I know why it does it, but interestingly this is the reason I don't use it at all (saves half a thousand turns in the long run).
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013, 15:36   #44
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
I think this presents a reasonable case for not having the sustains cost stat points. They might then become interesting early options (whereas at present you are highly unlikely to spend a stat point you can't restore to guard against a possibility of having that stat drained).
This could be right. I sometimes would prefer an item not even have a sustain when smithing it because of this cost. What do others think?
Old October 11, 2013, 15:39   #45
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
P.S. I know that running does not cut corners, and I know why it does it, but interestingly this is the reason I don't use it at all (saves half a thousand turns in the long run).
It saves 500 turns or so in the long run, but it does create quite a few more risks. As well as ending up next to monsters, you more often end up seeing one and being a single square closer to it. This can also be bad (particularly if you use ranged combat, or would want to flee from it). I'm not sure that this is worth the 500 turns. It certainly reduces the overall benefit of corner cutting.
Old October 11, 2013, 15:47   #46
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
It saves 500 turns or so in the long run, but it does create quite a few more risks. As well as ending up next to monsters, you more often end up seeing one and being a single square closer to it. This can also be bad (particularly if you use ranged combat, or would want to flee from it). I'm not sure that this is worth the 500 turns. It certainly reduces the overall benefit of corner cutting.
It has a benefit however, you don't end encircled against quick enemies that come only from one direction.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013, 15:58   #47
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
It has a benefit however, you don't end encircled against quick enemies that come only from one direction.
I don't quite understand what you mean here. One thing is that if there are enemies in close pursuit you normally can't run at all as you get interrupted.
Old October 11, 2013, 16:28   #48
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by half View Post
I don't quite understand what you mean here. One thing is that if there are enemies in close pursuit you normally can't run at all as you get interrupted.
I think what he means is that if you're in this situation:
Code:
#####
ff..# f = some fast monster
###.#
###@#
then if you run two spaces straight up, the first fast monster could move to block the north/south corridor, and the second one could move to attack you. But if you cut the corner, then this isn't possible.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013, 18:43   #49
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I think what he means is that if you're in this situation:
Code:
#####
ff..# f = some fast monster
###.#
###@#
then if you run two spaces straight up, the first fast monster could move to block the north/south corridor, and the second one could move to attack you. But if you cut the corner, then this isn't possible.
Thanks! That is quite unlikely, but I hadn't considered it.
Old October 11, 2013, 20:25   #50
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
Speaking of forged items draining stats, I think Gondolin and Doriath weapons shouldn't drain 2 strength. It costs 11 smithing to make a longsword of Gondolin, which is in range of a beginner smithing build, but the cost of 2 str isn't in range, so nobody will build such a weapon while it's clearly useful, before you're likely to have found one in the dungeon. I think to encourage the seldom-used Weaponsmith ability, maybe the enchanted weapons could ease up on the stat drains.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote