Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 17, 2016, 21:02   #71
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Nick--haven't fetched and rebuilt in a couple weeks, so I don't actually know.
Cool, that bug should be fixed when you do, then.

Further to me "moving stuff to data files" comment - several of the recent bugs have been a result of that process for monster blow methods and effects
Old November 17, 2016, 22:35   #72
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
When you haven't successfully targeted a suitable target (ie. a monster) the game gives no indication. I keep wasting TO charges on dungeon walls. Would it be reasonable to suggest that TOing nothing not work?
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016, 22:41   #73
Patashu
Swordsman

Patashu is on a distinguished road
There's a legitimate reason to target TO at a non-monster tile - if you think a monster that you can't see (invisible or unlit) is there.
Old November 18, 2016, 00:26   #74
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
It's more than that. You can target "behind" another monster--or even a wall--in many cases by targeting like this:

@**********
.........XX*********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
There's a legitimate reason to target TO at a non-monster tile - if you think a monster that you can't see (invisible or unlit) is there.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016, 01:09   #75
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
It's more than that. You can target "behind" another monster--or even a wall--in many cases by targeting like this:

@**********
.........XX*********
I'm not sure I would characterize abuse of quirks of the projectile pathing system as "legitimate".
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016, 02:12   #76
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
Oh, true. Good point. I think I have done that before when I got blinded once. It's not just bad aim I have trouble with, though. When I test a corner to see if I can TO around it and see that I can't, when I hit cancel, it doesn't cancel the entire aim wand action, it just cancels the target I selected and brings me back to the screen where I can select a target. I always think the whole 'aim wand' action has been canceled and so I often misclick and TO nothing.

I am still having trouble resting by 1 turn at a time. I rest 1 turn at a time 30 consecutive times and the monster did not advance (as my way of seeing that time is going by and rest is happening). After 30 Rests at 1 rest each, I rested 2 turns and the monster approached. I did the same thing with another approaching monster and the same thing happened (30 1 turn rests and no advancement, 2 rests on the 31st rest and the monster advanced). I am playing on OS X Yosemite.
Old November 18, 2016, 03:36   #77
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I am still having trouble resting by 1 turn at a time. I rest 1 turn at a time 30 consecutive times and the monster did not advance (as my way of seeing that time is going by and rest is happening). After 30 Rests at 1 rest each, I rested 2 turns and the monster approached. I did the same thing with another approaching monster and the same thing happened (30 1 turn rests and no advancement, 2 rests on the 31st rest and the monster advanced). I am playing on OS X Yosemite.
Is there a reason that you aren't hitting the 5 key instead? Notwithstanding that resting for 1 turn ought to cause time to pass, short rests are exactly equivalent to just standing in place.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016, 04:58   #78
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I usually make 's' a keymap for R10[Enter], so i can have a rest-a-little-while-until desturbed feature that 'S'earch used to do. It means less tapping the keyboard. And it doesn't spam you with '{pick up useless item a-h (y/n)?}' messages if you are in the middle of draining a dragon or Maia pit.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016, 12:32   #79
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Is there a reason that you aren't hitting the 5 key instead? Notwithstanding that resting for 1 turn ought to cause time to pass, short rests are exactly equivalent to just standing in place.
Ahh.. yeah, I forget about the 5 key because I play on a laptop with arrow keys. Thanks!
Old November 18, 2016, 14:07   #80
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
I have a Ring of Teleportation <+2> {cursed}. When I try to uncurse it with Remove Scroll, I'm told I have no curses to remove. Does this mean that Remove Curse is only for sticky curses? If so, then the scroll's description needs a little tuning.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote