Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 8, 2019, 11:10   #1
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Tele-other resistance?

I had an idle idea here about how you could introduce this in a way that is straight forward to remember what is & isn't resistant. Attach it to the imombile flag. That would mean drujs, silent watchers, death molds etc.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019, 12:28   #2
Pondlife
Apprentice

Pondlife is on a distinguished road
I really like that idea -I think it would preserve the usefulness and power of TO while ensuring it's not a silver bullet to get past all problems.

I also think death molds could be buffed by giving them the teleport to spell, which would add them to the "don't ever get in LOS" category.
Old May 8, 2019, 16:03   #3
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondlife View Post
I really like that idea -I think it would preserve the usefulness and power of TO while ensuring it's not a silver bullet to get past all problems.

I also think death molds could be buffed by giving them the teleport to spell, which would add them to the "don't ever get in LOS" category.
Suddenly a mold is the most terrible thing in the dungeon....

I think those monsters being TO resistant seems reasonable; makes stone to mud more useful, too.

I've for awhile been wondering about a spell that does the opposite of stone to mud; one that causes the ceiling to crumble leaving a pile of rubble at the target dungeon square.
Old May 8, 2019, 16:11   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondlife View Post
You are mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug
I've for awhile been wondering about a spell that does the opposite of stone to mud; one that causes the ceiling to crumble leaving a pile of rubble at the target dungeon square.
There's a reason why the only LOS obstruction options in Vanilla are Earthquake (random and low-density), Destruction (not very useful for actual fights outside of Morgoth), and Create Doors (fragile). Being able to obstruct LOS at will is a powerful ability; in my experience it becomes character-defining as soon as it's available.

That's not to say that it's impossible to balance, but my inclination would be to limit it to, say, a scroll or very-hard-to-recharge wand.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019, 08:11   #5
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
In some variants there is a mold unique with S_KIN. Encounter it at low level it's harmless, but deeper you're in big trouble.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:26   #6
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
There's a reason why the only LOS obstruction options in Vanilla are Earthquake (random and low-density), Destruction (not very useful for actual fights outside of Morgoth), and Create Doors (fragile). Being able to obstruct LOS at will is a powerful ability; in my experience it becomes character-defining as soon as it's available.

That's not to say that it's impossible to balance, but my inclination would be to limit it to, say, a scroll or very-hard-to-recharge wand.
There's a wand of wall building in both Umoria and PCB. It's balanced in PCB by being so rare that I've never actually seen one. There's also ?forest creation which you rarely collect enough of to justify the slot.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 10:50   #7
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Create Doors (fragile)
Fragile? Those humble doors can stop even a dragon breath or a storm of darkness. They are immersion-breakingly solid for what they do.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 11:29   #8
Diego Gonzalez
Scout

Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
Another idea. Make TO resistance roll a dice to teleport the player instead the monster.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 15:30   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
There's a wand of wall building in both Umoria and PCB. It's balanced in PCB by being so rare that I've never actually seen one. There's also ?forest creation which you rarely collect enough of to justify the slot.
Yeah, pretty much. I remember Wall Building in Umoria being pretty powerful, though it's been ages since I played. I think as long as the ability isn't readily available in unlimited quantities (such as by a spell, rod, or easily-recharged wand/staff) it's probably not going to break the game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 16:02   #10
NightLizard
Rookie

NightLizard is on a distinguished road
Just an unrelated question here... so there is a difference in how hard wands are to recharge? Shouldn't that be in the item description somewhere? That's kind of important information (especially if it affects how likely they are to break).
NightLizard is offline   Reply With Quote