Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 6, 2012, 14:50   #41
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
This is a great thing. It's really fun, and something really different.

I only have two problems with it. One if it being a bug; always center causes earthquakes, but that problem was mentioned before.
The other is... I really dislike the "time limit". But that's my problem.

I only got to, like, dlvl 5 so (out of 40, yes?) - does it slow down a bit later? Because at the beginning min depth goes up at roughly the same rate I explore levels.
Old January 6, 2012, 16:50   #42
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsabbel View Post
This is fantastic!
Glad you like it!

Quote:
The only drawback is the reduced monster count. I personally like having 100s of different monsters and do a pokemon style "collect them all" in the monster memory, but that is just secondary.

EDIT: And i forgot: Experience for actually encountering new monsters is a fantastic concept, together with dimishing returns! It makes me actually look forward to find new and exciting baddies instead of mawing down another line of orcs....
As you have observed, the experience system (gaining and spending) is an important component of the game. Trying to keep things more of a flavourful fit, as half mentioned, is the main reason for the relatively low monster count, but I'll also point out that for the diminishing returns mechanic on experience to be meaningful, you need in a typical game to be meeting each type of enemy several to many times. Given our aim for the length of the game, this means that there shouldn't be too many monsters (but there is some flexibility here, and the number might increase a bit if we have good monster concepts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
I only got to, like, dlvl 5 so (out of 40, yes?) - does it slow down a bit later? Because at the beginning min depth goes up at roughly the same rate I explore levels.
There are 20 dungeon levels. The length of time allocated per level does go up as you get deeper -- it's 1000 + (depth in feet) turns. However, the levels also get bigger, so this may continue to be true. You can always dive early on in order to spend some more time at deeper levels.

We regard having a time limit as an important part of the game balance, to avoid conflicts between optimal play and enjoyable play, which you can get if there is a section where the optimal strategy is to spend a long time safely playing at a certain depth to gather experience and/or items. It also helps keep the length of the game under control. That said, the precise formula used to control the forced descent is a balancing tool, so we might consider changing this.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2012, 17:21   #43
Narvius
Knight

Oh well. It's not that bothersome, actually, I just don't really like the thought of being eternally pushed forwards. (that also happens to be my main gripe with DC:SS; Food being really limited and stuff)
Also, should I ever get really pissed at it, I probably can patch it out myself. :3

Aaaaand, the combat/character system. It's pretty simple, powerful, makes for quick (dangerous!) combat and is straightforward to do by hand (with the obvious exception of virtual dice, but it's possible to come up with some different scheme for that - or just keep a laptop handy, though that kinda defeats the purpose of P&P), so I think I might rip it off for a P&P RPG, if you don't mind.

Last edited by Narvius; January 6, 2012 at 17:41.
Narvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2012, 18:02   #44
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
(with the obvious exception of virtual dice, but it's possible to come up with some different scheme for that - or just keep a laptop handy, though that kinda defeats the purpose of P&P)
real dice for example?
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2012, 18:17   #45
Narvius
Knight

Sil uses pretty much every single dice from 1 to 20 (possibly beyond) - try to roll a d9 or d7 ;P
1, 2 (half d4 or coin), 3 (half d6), 4, 5 (half d10), 6, 8, 10, 12, 20 can all be trivially done. But inbetween? :3

On-topic: Is there a dungeon map? I couldn't find it. And I could understand if there wasn't one, but still I prefer to ask.
Old January 6, 2012, 18:27   #46
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sil uses pretty much every single dice from 1 to 20 (possibly beyond) - try to roll a d9 or d7 ;P
1, 2 (half d4 or coin), 3 (half d6), 4, 5 (half d10), 6, 8, 10, 12, 20 can all be trivially done. But inbetween? :3
out the top of my head, I can think of two metods:
1) fill a cup or something with folded paper pieces numbered from 1 to n=7,9, and pick one. this gives an uniform distribution.

2) use a 1d6 or 1d8 (it depends on if you want an 1d7 or 1d9) and roll it. call the result k. then flip a coin: if it gives, say, head, add 1 to k.
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2012, 18:38   #47
Narvius
Knight

Well... probably.

Anyways, on topic again;

There is no auto-more option. This one is REALLY useful, as it makes messages consume none of your keystrokes. Which I'm, frankly, used to. I keep the message window open anyways. So... feature request!

Last edited by Narvius; January 6, 2012 at 20:00.
Narvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2012, 22:11   #48
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
d7: roll d8 and reroll if you get an 8
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2012, 00:56   #49
Narvius
Knight

Alright, alright. I get it. It's possible. But this thread is not about emulating impossible dice with possible ones.
Old January 7, 2012, 01:05   #50
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Oh, I did finally get around to playing Sil today, despite having downloaded it the day this thread started... :P

Very nice game!

I keep getting confused by the controls - I'd use the "angband-style" mode, but then I can't use smithing, because it uses the same key as "repeat" But apart from that, I like it!

The skill system is unique - I thought I had to "spend" skill points to get abilities, but it turns out it's just a threshold (with 6 skill points in Melee, I can get as many 6-point abilities as I want in Melee!); what really gets "spent" is experience!

And speaking of experience, I like the fact that you can get XP just from encountering enemies - you get more for killing them, of course, but it's a nice touch!

Haven't figured out what the statuses and numbers next to the enemy HP bar are for, though - sometimes I see "confident (8)", other times I see "fleeing (-10)", and others I see "mindless" - what do these mean? Is this some sort of morale system for the enemies? What effects does it have?
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote