Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old November 12, 2020, 20:09   #1
Rolypoly890
Rookie

Rolypoly890 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Odd problems building for MacOS

I built Sil-q 1.4.2 a few months ago for MacOS, everything worked fine.

While I was messing around with changing fonts today, it abruptly crashed when I changed the font. From then on it crashed at startup every time.

I redownloaded the source and built it again. Even the fresh build had the same problem of crashing on start up.

Then when I tried again, it failed to build entirely. There's a reliance on Carbon, which was apparently deprecated in 2012 and removed entirely in MacOS 15.0.

The odd thing is that I'm using a version prior to 15.0 AND I built it successfully a few months ago.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any similar problems/solutions.
Rolypoly890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2020, 21:19   #2
backwardsEric
Apprentice

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
When you change the font, the Mac front-end stores the change in its stored preferences so it can be retrieved the next time you start the application. If the chosen font always triggers a crash or, somehow, a corruption in the stored preferences causes a crash, you would always crash when restarting with those preferences in place. I'd delete the previous settings by running

Code:
defaults delete net.amirrorclear.Sil
from a Terminal, and then see if you can restart Sil-q.

For the compilation issue, I don't know what to say - though if you had updated Xcode since the last time you built Sil-q that might explain the trouble. The 1.5.0 beta has an updated Mac front-end which uses Cocoa rather than Carbon. You might try that if you want to recompile. The instructions are in the README.md.

Last edited by backwardsEric; November 12, 2020 at 21:28. Reason: Edited to address the problem with recompiling
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2020, 03:42   #3
Rolypoly890
Rookie

Rolypoly890 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsEric View Post
When you change the font, the Mac front-end stores the change in its stored preferences so it can be retrieved the next time you start the application. If the chosen font always triggers a crash or, somehow, a corruption in the stored preferences causes a crash, you would always crash when restarting with those preferences in place.
Ah I thought it might something like that but didn't know how to clear it from the terminal, thanks!

I still can't get any version to compile, either of the 1.5 betas, but oh well, I'll just have to forgo 1.5 for a while.
Rolypoly890 is offline   Reply With Quote