Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Eww, Inertia stacks against monsters?

Eww. That has to be a bug.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010, 04:46   #12
Therem Harth
Knight

Okay, I've got a problem here. A big problem.

I removed the tactics screen, and all traces of tactics. Completely. And now... Starting characters who aren't warriors cannot hit *anything*. Without being able to switch to berserker/running, early life as a priest is ridiculous.

Am I just going to have to boost non-warrior classes' to-hit bonus, or is there something I'm not aware about going on with to-hit in ToME?
Old July 2, 2010, 05:19   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Yeah, starting classes with no melee skill are almost literally hopeless at melee. You could either give everyone a small bonus to-hit, or boost everyone's starting Combat skill level, or something along those lines.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2010, 08:53   #14
Atarlost
Swordsman

Atarlost is on a distinguished road
Making inertia stack requires slowing to be coded deliberately differently than it was at the time of the original Zangband fork. Possibly differently from the Pernband fork, but as I've never been a Zangband player I don't know for sure.

It's multihitting spells that are broken, not inertia stacking. You need "broken" stuff like that in ToME's high level dungeons because monster leveling is just as broken in the other direction.
Old July 2, 2010, 14:17   #15
Therem Harth
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarlost View Post
It's multihitting spells that are broken, not inertia stacking. You need "broken" stuff like that in ToME's high level dungeons because monster leveling is just as broken in the other direction.
Ah monster leveling! I knew I'd forgotten about something. Thanks for reminding me, I was always overjoyed to get slaughtered by packs of level 50 brown yeeks.

Yes, monster leveling will be removed, everywhere. I figure instead I'll eventually (when I figure out how) limit maximum monster depth if I feel it's necessary for difficulty, so that you don't get yeeks and stuff deep in Angband. Though that would be a bit of a kludge I think.

Also there are a few hacks I want to do... For instance the Void should never have vaults in it, ever, even if you have Ironman rooms enabled. And I would like, if possible, to just remove entirely the Nether Realm and Tiksrvwhatever and the weird bit about the Flame Imperishable and the Ultimate Items.

Meanwhile though the tactics thing is really my biggest concern. Now that there's no berserker/running a lot of classes that are melee dependent in the early game can't get started... Suggestions? Maybe I should just give everyone a small plus to-hit by default, or something?
Old July 2, 2010, 14:49   #16
Therem Harth
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Yeah, starting classes with no melee skill are almost literally hopeless at melee. You could either give everyone a small bonus to-hit, or boost everyone's starting Combat skill level, or something along those lines.
Hmm, I guess I'll try giving default +1 to-hit and to-dam instead of zero and see how that works...
Old July 2, 2010, 16:13   #17
Therem Harth
Knight

Okay this is crazy. I gave everyone +5 to_h and to_d by default, hard coded. I now have a L1 character with +12 to_h and +10 to_d in melee... Who can't hit anything at all. What the hell!

Edit: Okay +10 (for a total bonus of ~20!) seems to work, with that my L1 paladin can kill a green naga without too much trouble. May need a bit more tweaking but I think something in this area should work. Amazing I should need 20 to_h to hit anything though.

Last edited by Therem Harth; July 2, 2010 at 16:18.
Old July 2, 2010, 21:19   #18
Therem Harth
Knight

Mucho apologies for the quad post. Lots of tweaking going on here though...

- I've eliminated the silly boomeranges, we now have bolas, which don't rely on archery. They should provide a useful means of ranged attack for melee classes, though less powerful than archery (once I'm done tweaking )

- But... During my messing around with bolas, I discovered that weaponmastery - which was supposed to affect the damage of the bolas - doesn't actually exist as a skill. As with archery skill there's a get_weaponmastery_skill() method, but unlike with archery, the skill itself (SKILL_WEAPONMASTERY or whatever you might call it) isn't there. I may fix this eventually but meanwhile I think I'll have to work around it. Meanwhile though I've learned some things...

- Like that Weaponmastery and Combat skills do not affect melee damage AT ALL. They don't seem to affect hit chance either, though I'm less certain of that. All it seems to do is affect the number of blows. Probably I'll be removing it entirely at some point, and making blows depend purely on STR and DEX again.

*sigh* This is going to take a while.

Edit: Oh wait a minute there is a SKILL_MASTERY, it just doesn't seem to be used very much... :/
Old July 2, 2010, 21:53   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You sure about that? The Killerbunnies skill spoilers say that Combat gives a damage bonus, Weaponmastery affects your displayed "Fighting" ability level (no idea if that actually impacts anything; in Vanilla it's just a reflection of your to-hit, IIRC), and the various masteries give you to-hit and to-damage bonoses.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that what you say goes against what the spoilers say, and I've generally found the spoilers to be accurate.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2010, 01:35   #20
Therem Harth
Knight

Hmm. Well, I went into wizmode and used a weapon shop's "Compare Weapons" service on two weapons, once with zero weaponmastery and once with 50... The only difference was the number of blows, there was no difference at all in damage per blow.