AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 28, 2016, 18:07   #31
shadow
Rookie

shadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
I also mod fuzzy detection out, as I don't like travelling across the map to find a squelched item.
Would it be too weird if sufficiently strong detection full-detected average/good/whatever gear but fuzzy-detected better gear? I'm kinda bugged by all the little red asterisks disappearing without explanation when they come into view.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016, 18:29   #32
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Would it be too weird if sufficiently strong detection full-detected average/good/whatever gear but fuzzy-detected better gear? I'm kinda bugged by all the little red asterisks disappearing without explanation when they come into view.
That's not quality squelch, that's item type squelch. If you're playing a mage and have squelched all priest books, then they'll disappear once you can see that they're priest books. In order to prevent squelch from leaking information, it has to work this way.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016, 18:47   #33
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Timo, that game is not angband. Try playing Rogue (NPP lets you play) or Sil. Both of those do what you want. Play a few games, and post characters. Let us know what is good and bad. Simply disabling detection in V probably won't work, since it is balanced in favor of detection.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016, 21:30   #34
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Well, traps and doors are up for changes in 4.1 (with magic detection removed), as is stealth. Monster detection would need more thought, but there is scope for change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
One thing that I'd like to point out is that I don't think any game does exploration well.
This is true in a sense, but in another sense Angband doesn't "do" much it all - it more allows the player to do stuff. Just reading accounts of people's games, you wouldn't think it was all the same game. So Timo plays it as an exploration game, other people roleplay, or minimise turncount, or whatever.

Personally, I use it in a vain attempt to prove that I still have an attention span worth mentioning
Old January 28, 2016, 22:02   #35
Pete Mack
Prophet

Try QuickBand. You don't need an attention span for that. Gaining stats through level-up is...probably the correct model. Leave a handful of potions for the people who like seeing 18/100 for all stats; every one else can be satisfied with 18/70 for most of them. For those of us with short attention spans, turncount is the only way to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
So Timo plays it as an exploration game, other people roleplay, or minimise turncount, or whatever.

Personally, I use it in a vain attempt to prove that I still have an attention span worth mentioning
Old January 29, 2016, 08:55   #36
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
If you want to play with the mechanics of detection, make it a buff, so that it is constantly draining mana, but don't remove it.
That's interesting idea. I wouldn't mind if some of the detections would be available as buffs.

Any other way than current "press this button to make this go away" is better. Current detections are repetitive and boring and can't be really improved gameplay-wise because you need to have awareness what is around you in order to survive in dungeon. You need to rethink whole system.

[EDIT] added "available as"

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; January 29, 2016 at 09:10.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016, 23:44   #37
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Try QuickBand. You don't need an attention span for that. Gaining stats through level-up is...probably the correct model. Leave a handful of potions for the people who like seeing 18/100 for all stats; every one else can be satisfied with 18/70 for most of them. For those of us with short attention spans, turncount is the only way to play.

What about gaining stats by entering deeper dungeon levels? So instead of grinding for stats, diving for stats...
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2016, 00:07   #38
Pete Mack
Prophet

That's even MORE of a class advantage to rogues. A rogue can pretty easily maintain dl < cl * 2. A priest not so much.

'
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMorgoth View Post
What about gaining stats by entering deeper dungeon levels? So instead of grinding for stats, diving for stats...
Old February 1, 2016, 14:05   #39
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
That's even MORE of a class advantage to rogues. A rogue can pretty easily maintain dl < cl * 2. A priest not so much.

'
I think you mean dl > cl * 2. Priests gain levels too fast for that early, but I have got to 100 before clvl was 50 with priests too. It's not that hard if you get a bit lucky with ESP and Godly Insights (means that dangerous hound-territory at around 2000' isn't dangerous anymore).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote